AF Refurb or Scrapout...to Be Determined...

agcowvet
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: efm AF150
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Newmac NL-2 (oil)

Post by agcowvet » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 2:20 pm

...depends on how things go with the patching-up if I keep it or not.

Got the cleanouts off a month or two back, and got nearly a five-gallon bucket of fly ash out of the bottom of the heat exchanger. Oh yeah, and 4 dead birds.

Got the last of the jackets off yesterday and am working on getting the stoker unit removed. Been using a torch and ATF on all the fasteners before attempting removal, so far I haven't snapped off too many. Except for the ones that held the door ring on. All 3 of them sheared off.

A little concerned about the number of white gaskets in this thing, been wetting em down real good with hot soapy water and double-bagging. Any other methods of containing potential fibers?

Pics of the unit

Attachments

Undressed front.jpg
.JPG | 694.2KB | Undressed front.jpg
Undressed right side.jpg
.JPG | 763.8KB | Undressed right side.jpg
Undressed left side.jpg
.JPG | 662.9KB | Undressed left side.jpg

agcowvet

Post by agcowvet » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Stoker unit looks to be in good shape, as far as grate castings and heavy parts go. Full dismantling of the burn pot will have to wait until this week once I get tanks for the hot wrench--some of the stove bolts don't want to come loose. Two of the grates were loose, as their bolts either lacked most of their head or nut...suspect this thing was running HOT or otherwise mal-adjusted for a little while. Cast pieces are OK tho.
Bottom of burn pot.jpg
.JPG | 440.8KB | Bottom of burn pot.jpg
Burn pot top.jpg
.JPG | 461.8KB | Burn pot top.jpg
The blower housing had about a quarter inch of stiff greasy 'stuff' in the bottom, and a thin film elswhere. Maybe a weepy oil seal on reduction gear? Nothing real obvious but will have to wait a little to be fully de-greased (out of kerosene.) Motor seems to be fine, but haven't tried running it yet.
Stoker blower housing greasy residue.jpg
.JPG | 399.7KB | Stoker blower housing greasy residue.jpg
The auger doesn't want to come out of the pot. Got the feed pipe off all right though, it was a little deformed at the end and didn't want to come loose despite both setscrews being loose. Probably will just torch the auger off in the pot, it needs a new one anyhow.

Pics later. EDIT: added pics
Last edited by agcowvet on Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 6:35 pm

yeeeesh... that's gonna be quite the project :cry: as far as the fibers concerning you... your outside (so that's 95% of the fear licked right their), wear a respirator and rubber gloves it you have one, soak the crap with spray oil, rip it all out and stuff in big zip locks, oil soaked scotch brite where the crap was and bag the scotch brite...DONE, take respirator off and start the rehab.

agcowvet

Post by agcowvet » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Auger is out. Buildup of fines was holding it in. Think it might be worn a little? Down to about 1/4" there!
Wornout worm.jpg
.JPG | 317.7KB | Wornout worm.jpg
Bushing in pot will need to be replaced more than likely; will have to see how tight the fit is with a new auger and auger bushing. Which way does the pot bushing come out?

Looks like the worm pipe might have gotten bent at some point.
Worm pipe corroded and bent end.jpg
.JPG | 339.8KB | Worm pipe corroded and bent end.jpg

agcowvet

Post by agcowvet » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Will have to get some scotchbrite pads. Sounds like a great way to get everything clean. Thanks!

agcowvet

Post by agcowvet » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Me and my big mouth earlier..."Only sheared off the bolts for the observation door!"...sheared almost all the top weld-bolts on the right side of the primary heat exchanger, used for holding the stoker mounting plate. O well, more metal working...looks like I'm not the only one that had that result, the left side was already changed over to regular bolts on the top.

Attachments

Right side housing removed.jpg
.JPG | 380.3KB | Right side housing removed.jpg

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 7:44 pm

I would think the place to start is with the heat exchanger to make sure its not full of holes. Can you get a look inside the thing ? The stoker mechanism can easily be refurbed with off the shelf parts. Do you have a furnace currently, or a boiler? If you need a boiler scrap the heat exchanger , trade the stoker in for a refurbed unit. There seems to be a ton of used stuff available on the board. Where is stanley ? Im in dryden/ithaca if you get in a pinch.

Waldo

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 7:54 pm

That's quite a project your starting. You are the first one doing an EFM air furnace. Nice job! Can I make a request? I always wondered what was inside those cleanouts and what the top of the burn chamber looked like. Could you take some pictures of those areas? Isn't there one more cleanout on the back? Is there enough room to get a brush in there? Pictures, pictures, pictures :D :D

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 8:00 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:I would think the place to start is with the heat exchanger to make sure its not full of holes. Can you get a look inside the thing ? The stoker mechanism can easily be refurbed with off the shelf parts. Do you have a furnace currently, or a boiler? If you need a boiler scrap the heat exchanger , trade the stoker in for a refurbed unit. There seems to be a ton of used stuff available on the board. Where is stanley ? Im in dryden/ithaca if you get in a pinch.

Waldo
Do not scrap anything!

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Sorry SC :oops:

agcowvet

Post by agcowvet » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Heat exchanger is hole-y. How fixable that is, will determine how I proceed. Some pictures of that are on another thread from earlier this year. Yes I know it's been a little while with no progress...too many projects! Scrapyard Find: EFM AF With S15 Stoker

Wish I needed a boiler, hot water heat is so much nicer than scorched-air. Maybe a project for another year...been keeping eyes peeled for old cast-iron radiators, etc. but right now the extra $ and time that solution would run would be better spent elsewhere.

Waldo--Stanley is up between Keuka Lake and Seneca Lake. About an hour and half from Dryden. Thanks much for the offer of assistance.

SC--Don't worry, I wouldn't scrap anything that could be usable. Only if there's not enough solid stuff there to weld anything to. The stoker part will live on, one way or another.

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 8:27 pm

ACV, stokers are a dime a dozen. Workable furnaces/boilers are less so. Call me before you scrap it.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Aug. 25, 2013 8:57 pm

agcowvet wrote:Heat exchanger is hole-y. How fixable that is, will determine how I proceed. Some pictures of that are on another thread from earlier this year. Yes I know it's been a little while with no progress...too many projects! Scrapyard Find: EFM AF With S15 Stoker

Wish I needed a boiler, hot water heat is so much nicer than scorched-air. Maybe a project for another year...been keeping eyes peeled for old cast-iron radiators, etc. but right now the extra $ and time that solution would run would be better spent elsewhere.

Waldo--Stanley is up between Keuka Lake and Seneca Lake. About an hour and half from Dryden. Thanks much for the offer of assistance.

SC--Don't worry, I wouldn't scrap anything that could be usable. Only if there's not enough solid stuff there to weld anything to. The stoker part will live on, one way or another.
what old cast iron radiators? You mean those things I keep seeing patti tossing in the scrap dumpsters of half the rehabs we do? if you don't mind driving ill save a bunch next time the opportunity comes? If its the cast iron baseboard your talking about (those never get scrapped).

agcowvet

Post by agcowvet » Wed. Aug. 28, 2013 7:55 pm

dcrane--Probably a little far to drive, appreciate the offer though. I see stuff on craigslist closer by from time to time, just a case of projects>(time+money). :lol: Not to mention the better half isn't exactly thrilled about giving up that much floor space...may be an easier sell in January with the wind blowing.

SC--Alright, will do, if I can't patch it up or get it patched. Should be interesting trying anyhow! Really probably more of a MIG job but I'm going to try with OA and real small tips...and farm it out if that doesn't pan out...if I can find anyone that wants to touch it! A skill I've been wanting to pick up, anyhow--never welded anything with gas, just cut stuff up.

Hydro-air might be an "in-between" step but we'll see...garage is small enough as it is, and there'd be a fair bit of work to gain basement access sufficient to put a boiler down there...but with 3 girls, I can sure see the demand for DHW increasing as the years go by! Just might pay off in the end. Lots of duct work needed anyhow, the place never heated right with the oil furnace, registers are mostly in the wrong spots and there's not near enough return air.

More pics as I get more work accomplished. Got tanks for torch today :) so some progress should come shortly...on call this weekend tho.

What gauge and kind of metal would be best used to patch the heat exchanger? I'm thinking something like 18ga mild steel but don't know if that's got enough corrosion resistance...

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Wed. Aug. 28, 2013 9:19 pm

Enjoyed reading this thread! Good luck on the refurb.

Like the picture of the Bovine also.
I raise shorthorns myself.

I bet your better half will LOVE it come January RE: Floor space....

Nothing like coal heat...

I had to remove the rear access panel/exhaust area on my SF 520 a few years back and had to cut all of the bolts out and redrill for new ones also.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”