Bairmatic Coal Stoker

MATTHEW D.

Post by MATTHEW D. » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 7:59 pm

I got a call 2 months ago to repair a BairMatic coal stoker. It was my first time to see one still running. The side rails were burned out and the grates were warped. I told the home owner I'll make some calls and try to find the parts.................Long story short, I get a call last week from scrapper....Hey Matt are you still looking for those BairMatic parts........Yes I am!!!!!....He said I found a guy that has some, give him a call. Thanks to scrapper and his connections I was able to get the parts, and its burning fine. I owe you a couple of beers scrapper :cheers: Here are some pics

Attachments

100_9655.JPG
.JPG | 186.5KB | 100_9655.JPG
100_9656.JPG
.JPG | 148KB | 100_9656.JPG
100_9657.JPG
.JPG | 149.7KB | 100_9657.JPG
100_9659.JPG
.JPG | 143.9KB | 100_9659.JPG
100_9667.JPG
.JPG | 135.7KB | 100_9667.JPG
100_9669.JPG
.JPG | 128.7KB | 100_9669.JPG
100_9673.JPG
.JPG | 75.1KB | 100_9673.JPG

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Great network of friends you have.......nice to see one in operation, and as good as new. Can't kill these rigs, and thanks for sharing! :D :D :D :D :!:

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Yep! You get to have ALL the fun :lol: Nice job Matthew :)

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 8:21 am

That thing seems to be built to last a long time & as about as simple as you can get for a stoker, I wonder if it was caused in part by allowing the ash to build up too high? Just seems like an odd spot for the side rails to wear out but there again I know nothing about these or even much about my own, just try & do my best to keep things running. It looks like the flat bad on the end being a bit higher would hold the ash back some.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 8:39 am

Great job Matthew.It is very interesting that the heat erosion damage seems to occur all on the rearmost cast iron panels without visual damage to the front cast iron panel pieces.Since both sides are damaged about the same I am wondering if underfed air is somehow playing on that exact spot.Looks like the damage never crossed the demarcation line. How do these burner grates get sealed to the sidewall in that area? Mike

MATTHEW D.

Post by MATTHEW D. » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 3:54 pm

One thing I noticed about side rails in flat grates stokers like Keystoker and Yellow Flame is that they burn out in the rear also. Maybe It has to do with low demand times like the summer when it is burning mostly in the rear?? The grates don't get sealed in place, they are just placed on top of the air chamber. It is a tight fit, the last grate I placed had to be forced in.

LiiLii

Post by LiiLii » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 7:10 am

We have a stoker like this one only we don't have the doors, the shoot or motor. I guess you can say the bare bones of the stoker. But we have someone who wants to buy that part because they have all the other parts for it. Can anyone tell me about how much it is worth. Wish we would of had all the parts we could of use ours. It is really neat to see the one in the pictures working.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 7:25 am

It looks a lot like a Yellow Flame. The Yellow Flame side rails DO burn out in exactly the same spot but they are one piece where this one is segmented. The Yellow Flame grates warp but it has nothing to do with the fines building up. I kept mine clear and had to replace at least one grate every two years. I never did replace the side rails. They were burned and cracked but it still ran and put out some crazy heat for a 40+ year old boiler.

Rev. Larry

MATTHEW D.

Post by MATTHEW D. » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 8:19 am

LiiLii wrote:We have a stoker like this one only we don't have the doors, the shoot or motor. I guess you can say the bare bones of the stoker. But we have someone who wants to buy that part because they have all the other parts for it. Can anyone tell me about how much it is worth. Wish we would of had all the parts we could of use ours. It is really neat to see the one in the pictures working.
Let that guy make an offer, it is only worth what he is willing to pay. There are very few people that have a bairmatic still running and you probably won't have another offer for a long time.

LiiLii

Post by LiiLii » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 9:12 am

Ok thanks Matt. Someone else told us that scrap price probably would be about 200. To go with that and see what he says.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 9:27 am

LiiLii wrote:We have a stoker like this one only we don't have the doors, the shoot or motor. I guess you can say the bare bones of the stoker. But we have someone who wants to buy that part because they have all the other parts for it. Can anyone tell me about how much it is worth. Wish we would of had all the parts we could of use ours. It is really neat to see the one in the pictures working.
If you want yours to work you could try making an offer to the person who has the parts you need. If you do sell what you have, you might want to look into the possibility of replacing it with a Keystoker unit of comparable size. From the above pics they look very similar. I've recently seen ads for good used 3-plate ($500) and 4-plate ($800) Keystoker stoker units, which are still in production.

Mike

LiiLii

Post by LiiLii » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 9:34 am

Pacowy wrote:
If you want yours to work you could try making an offer to the person who has the parts you need. If you do sell what you have, you might want to look into the possibility of replacing it with a Keystoker unit of comparable size. From the above pics they look very similar. I've recently seen ads for good used 3-plate ($500) and 4-plate ($800) Keystoker stoker units, which are still in production.

Mike
Ok thanks for the information we really appreciate it.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 9:40 am

You're welcome and good luck.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 04, 2013 4:54 pm

MATTHEW D. wrote:I got a call 2 months ago to repair a BairMatic coal stoker. It was my first time to see one still running. The side rails were burned out and the grates were warped. I told the home owner I'll make some calls and try to find the parts.................Long story short, I get a call last week from scrapper....Hey Matt are you still looking for those BairMatic parts........Yes I am!!!!!....He said I found a guy that has some, give him a call. Thanks to scrapper and his connections I was able to get the parts, and its burning fine. I owe you a couple of beers scrapper :cheers: Here are some pics
Awesome!! That ROCKS! :punk:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”