Bad Sulfur Smell Auger Pipe Rusted Out

zickeres

Post by zickeres » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Woke up with bad sulfur smell. I never had this problem befor,so I covered my 55 gal drum with ply wood and set a cinder block on top of it. A few mins later saw the smoke and found the auger pipe to the drum was rusted. My question is. Does anyone know what size pipe this is, looks like 2inch. Can I buy this at the plumbing store? Is there a better type of pipe that might last longer? This was a used stoker I put in 7years ago,so who knows how old the pipe was. It does get coverd with coal when I fill up the coal bin.Thanks for any help Rick

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 1:07 pm

2" schedule 40. You can use steel, aluminum, or stainless. The lifespan and cost goes in the same order.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 2:13 pm

If you need an interim fix until you have time to make a proper repair you can make a "sleeve" out of something like a soda can and hold it in place with a couple of band clamps. Don't forget the pot end of the pipe has a notch and pattern of holes that you should try to duplicate on the new pipe.

Mike

zickeres

Post by zickeres » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Would anyone have a picture or be able to explain how that notch and holes look on the the side of the new pipe that goes into the coupler. My old pipe is pretty rusted, the only thing I can see is it looks like the end to the coupler was cut on a 45 angle,i guess the new pipe has to be that way?

zickeres

Post by zickeres » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 3:09 pm

Have to update my last post.The pipe i.m replacing is from the coal bin to the coupler.are there any notches or holes on that pipe,or is it straight on both sides. I am aware that the pot side is notched and has has holes,but this is the other side. Thanks Rick

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 5:44 pm

My bad for assuming you ran the short auger into the drum. No holes or notches needed beyond the coupling.

Mike

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Inside the pipe coupler, be sure that the ends of the pipe are 90 degree cuts and butt tightly together. My buddy was short on money and he used Sch. 40 PVC from the coupler to the bin. Been over a year now. Of course, I don't recommend this.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Any 2" pipe will work.....especially in an emergency. 2" pipe rails used in submersible pumps applications are stainless, and usually they ship 20 footers and most applications take 12' to 14', so there is always at least two cut-offs 6 or 7' long.
As Stokerman says: ALWAYS make the butt splice cut a true 90 degree cut. Close enough is NOT good enough in this application. Check in with a metal fab shop, who knows.... :!: :!: :!:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”