Scottscoaled Boiler Sizing Method

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 8:49 am

Joeski wrote:
Scottscoaled wrote:In response to all the threads about boiler sizing and not keeping warm.

Scott's two step boiler sizing method;

Step 1. Determine if the building is less than 5000 square feet, has four walls and a roof.
Step 2. Install EFM 520.

:lol: :P :roll: :lol:
Can you give me a rough idea of how much one of these brand new would cost. I don't have any radiators so I would need to go the heat exchanger route in to my forced air oil furnace ducts. Can they be power vented?

Thanks
Joe, these units are not to be power vented. On the positive side, you get domestic hot water while they are in use.

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 9:19 am

Yanche wrote:
Scottscoaled wrote:Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You guys going to refute my sizing method or are you going to forth those same lame arguements :lol:
No I will not refute , it will work for most homes in most of the country. It will however not an optimum solution. What's optimum is up to the buyers eyes and wallet. I don't consider a discussion lame arguments, it's using ones intellect to make a proper choice. Just like money, some don't have much. Both limit getting an optimum solution. :-)
Sorry Yunche! I guess the glass of wine went right to my head :oops: My first and last posts were meant to be humorous. Humor, I guess I have none. Intellect and money, I have none. Being that I have none, to me, the optimal solution is to buy a used EFM boiler and use the saved money to buy coal. Many years worth. The 7 % savings in coal efficiency that the AHS boasts over the EFM translates to a savings of $105 per year in coal cost for a 5 ton user at $300/ton. It takes a long time to make up the cost difference between a reconditioned EFM and any of the new boilers. My intellect and wallet work that way. :)

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 10:37 am

Scottscoaled wrote:Sorry Yunche! I guess the glass of wine went right to my head :oops: My first and last posts were meant to be humorous. Humor, I guess I have none. Intellect and money, I have none. Being that I have none, to me, the optimal solution is to buy a used EFM boiler and use the saved money to buy coal. Many years worth. The 7 % savings in coal efficiency that the AHS boasts over the EFM translates to a savings of $105 per year in coal cost for a 5 ton user at $300/ton. It takes a long time to make up the cost difference between a reconditioned EFM and any of the new boilers. My intellect and wallet work that way. :)
No need to be sorry, I didn't take offense. We all have personalities and they are all different. What makes this forum great is the wide range of skills and experiences, all united together for the purpose of keeping warm at an affordable cost. On other topics we are not so united. :-(

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Where is Yunche?
Last edited by Scottscoaled on Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 7:48 pm

I always get a bit worried about those who haven't posted for awhile .~~~~~~~~~~ Scott,i just read this thread for the first time..... I like your boiler sizing formula. :) Your formula should provide a boiler that is sufficient for that "what if",like January,1994,here in our general region the temp dropped to -35*,with a high that day of -8* + wind.That would likely find alot of folks short on BTU's.

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 7:54 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:I always get a bit worried about those who haven't posted for awhile .~~~~~~~~~~ Scott,i just read this thread for the first time..... I like your boiler sizing formula. :) Your formula should provide a boiler that is sufficient for that "what if",like January,1994,here in our general region the temp dropped to -35*,with a high that day of -8* + wind.That would likely find alot of folks short on BTU's.
Dave, there isn't any way to make a boiler pump enough heat thru undersized pex in that case. If it was 2" maybe it wouldn't have been a problem. That is a pretty good boiler figuring formula though. :lol: :lol:

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Jan. 02, 2016 8:56 pm

I've been very impressed with the boiler Jim Dorsey got for me. I recall him asking me what the plate on my oil boiler said as far as BTU output goes. Then a few months later, he showed up with the boiler I'm running now and says, "Try this." :) Have no idea how he matched up the correct paddle speed with the width and length of the burn plate, and all that - but it WORKS! Thing amazes me.

Even with the rusty tubes, this thing is still managing to keep this place warmer than it's ever been. The true test will be Monday night into Tuesday morning - single digits coming. It had no problem in the past during extended below-zero weather, but now with the rusted tubes I think my efficiency has gone down the proverbial shitter. Stack temps are 50° higher than they used to be after a long burn, and my vacuum cleaner hose doesn't fit in a couple of the tubes anymore. Used to fit perfectly. A couple baffles were jammed in place, and took quite an effort to extract during the last cleanout. Such is life in my basement ... :(

Don't know what I'll do when this one gives up the ghost. Options and funds are severely limited. Run it till it grenades, just like my vehicles ... :roll:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”