Keystoker KA-6 Operation Guide.

tinmanKC10
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KC10
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by tinmanKC10 » Tue. Sep. 24, 2013 8:44 am

I adjusted mine down the whole way, initially my bolts were 3/4 to the top of the slot now I have them the all the way down and did a dry run no fire just running coal and the bed of coal still is close to 2" or so. It is a little thinner but not what I thought it would. Obviously when its lit with a fire I will know what I need but I heat a 30x56 shop and a 30x70 house so my demand really fluctulates a lot throught out the season. In the fall and spring I only need about 2" of fire to maintain my heat and when its really cold I run about a 2" ash big swing throught out the heating season so I have to adjust my red nut often.

Wiz again thanks for all the pics and tips. The information is great and I will keep you guys posted when I fire the beast up!!!

James

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Tue. Sep. 24, 2013 11:39 am

Tinman... last night I email Keystoker about throat strap. Questions ask. Would lowering strap help with unburnt coal. How thick should coal on grate be? Today reply was its set at factory to burn rice or buck. Proper setting of rednut is 10 turns to achieve it, turn to max then backoff 10 turns. Note... mine from factory is set at lowest point, bolts are all the way down. coal is 2 inches thick on grate.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 4:30 pm

@ WIZ: did you ever play with the throat plate height? Mine is set at lowest point and was thinking about raising it to see what result it has, if any.....

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Carbon12 wrote:@ WIZ: did you ever play with the throat plate height? Mine is set at lowest point and was thinking about raising it to see what result it has, if any.....
That's actually the only thing I never tweak to see results. Throat plate appears to be at lowest point on mine. Raising it might push coal over sides of grates.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Keystoker says that 1.5 to 2"s the best setting to start at, and I've always seen them set at 1.5" when you go to clean one for the end of season folks. I played with added height,(2") AND here is a thought: Better free up those 2 5/16" bolts BEFORE you try something stupid. I've been called to fix a few, and that is NOT FUN....especially with a full hopper. If you can get them out, anti-seize the hell out of the whole area. With the hopper off, you can also look over the 'pusher' mounts and square heat anchor bolts. My .02 says to soak them, and have heat handy if you want to be successful in removing to exchange the shaft, bearing ends, right and left......... When installing a new one, I disassemble the whole rig , even the side plates in the stoker and anti-seize the whole rig. MUCH easier at that time, VS 3 years LATER. Wiz: Great video and presentation, and should be part of the manual from the boys over in the Haven. If you neglect to follow instructions, you and the 'Fire Wrench' will become Fast friends!

Carbon12
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Ah,...um,......I think it's working just fine for now! Maybe will play in the spring!!! :lol:

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Oliver Power wrote back in February that Keystoker should not have done away with the KA-4. For the record, Keystoker relented and introduced the KAA-4-1 this past summer.

Boots
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 8:50 am

Just posting here as a method to save the thread for later viewing.

Nothing to see here folks..... move along...... :rockon:

CoalisCoolxWarm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Dec. 26, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks, Wiz for this thread!

Jrhughes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US-National 27 Series All Fuel Hot Water/Steam

Post by Jrhughes » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 4:35 pm

For a newbie like me this post was very helpful and much appreciated!

GaryFerg
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by GaryFerg » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 7:22 pm

is there any secret to moving that rod to disable the action so you get the blower but no feed? I have a hell of a time disengaging and then reengaging it guess I am not strong enough.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:36 pm

GaryFerg wrote:is there any secret to moving that rod to disable the action so you get the blower but no feed? I have a hell of a time disengaging and then reengaging it guess I am not strong enough.
Watch the cycle. Get it while the rod is pushed towards the disengaging handle and push away from the boiler while turning, helps a bit.

I've been kicking around the idea of a piece of pipe that slips over the end when needed for leverage.

Maybe some others have found some good tips?

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:02 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
GaryFerg wrote:is there any secret to moving that rod to disable the action so you get the blower but no feed? I have a hell of a time disengaging and then reengaging it guess I am not strong enough.
Watch the cycle. Get it while the rod is pushed towards the disengaging handle and push away from the boiler while turning, helps a bit.

I've been kicking around the idea of a piece of pipe that slips over the end when needed for leverage.

Maybe some others have found some good tips?
Exactly like he said. I like to wear a leather palm work glove so I don’t pinch my hand accidentally.

If you still have trouble try yelling “mother***er” That sometimes helps. :)

bobok
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm700 stoker, Pacific 350K boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: D&S Machine hand fed
Coal Size/Type: stove / buck
Other Heating: Bethleham Dynatherm Oil boiler

Post by bobok » Thu. Feb. 04, 2016 8:06 am

New ka6 last year. Coal won't drop off. Last year Cornwall rice, this year Reading rice. same problem. Air shutter 1/2-3/4 Factory says problem is low fusion coal. Same excuse last year. The owner got soaked by the installer, plumbed wrong controlled wrong, told it was normal for the oil burner to come on . I think it is somewhat undersized, but it should burn right . Any ideas? the guy's wife is disgusted. I love my EFM. BoboK.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Feb. 04, 2016 9:46 am

bobok wrote:New ka6 last year. Coal won't drop off. Last year Cornwall rice, this year Reading rice. same problem. Air shutter 1/2-3/4 Factory says problem is low fusion coal. Same excuse last year. The owner got soaked by the installer, plumbed wrong controlled wrong, told it was normal for the oil burner to come on . I think it is somewhat undersized, but it should burn right . Any ideas? the guy's wife is disgusted. I love my EFM. BoboK.
What do you mean "Coal won't drop off" ???

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”