Boiler of Choice Is?

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
strat0
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S. Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: D.S. Machine #4 Basement

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Hello gents and ladies. I am contemplating a boiler. I currently have a d.s. basement #4. I love it! it has kept me warm in my 1800 squ ft ranch for the last 3 years. I burn about 5 ton of nut each winter. I do have the air flow all figured out. temps upstairs to down, only vary about 5 degrees.... I am totally non dependant on electricity also... That is a tremendous feeling. That being said.... I think a boiler system would save me $ in the long run possibly. Do they make a boiler just like my current ds stove with the gravity feed hopper? remember its basically a hand fed stove. Or.. Should I go for a stoker... rely on electricity...The only thing I am not fond of with my current system, is I have to have a friend come over every day, if I go out of town... shake and feed... I am leaning towards a rebuilt stoker I think.. Thoughts?

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 5:01 pm

I believe that DSM makes a small boiler

EDIT: stoker boiler :up:
Last edited by Dennis on Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 5:29 pm

STOKER.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II), D.S. 1600 Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 6:45 pm

My vote is for STOKER. You need electric to run circulators anyways. You won't have the up's and down's in fire box temps, due to ash build up. When it comes to stoves, I like my hand fired stoves; and not being dependent on electric.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Absolutely right! Since you will not be circulating hot water (efficiently and sufficiently enough to be useful) without electricity anyway, you might as well make it a stoker.
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

strat0

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:20 pm

What model of stoker? And do you guys think I will burn less than 5 ton of coal?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Harman VF3000 or the Keystoker KAA-2 would be in your load range.

Leisure Line has the WL-110 too, and can have oil, gas or propane backup.
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:19 pm

strat0 wrote: And do you guys think I will burn less than 5 ton of coal?
Hard to say. The stove room will be a lot cooler, and the rest of the house will be warmer. Domestic hot water may require a ton or two on top of the heat load.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:55 pm

The first question is HOW RELIABLE IS YOUR ELECTRIC ???

Right now you can stay warm totally off the grid. Any other stove/boiler will require electric. If you do not have that reliability, I would stay with what you got.......

If the electric is pretty well reliable, your possibilities are endless......... Stoker = set it and forget it.

Rick
Master of "Trial and Error."

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 8:26 am

Unless your electric is unreliable, I'd say definatley a stoker. I'm heating about 4000 sq. ft. with a vf3000 and 5 tons. so I'm sure you would burn less than 5 tons.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 9:51 am

Don't disregard the cost of electricity. In my area a stoker with power vent would cost over $80 per month in additional electricity. By not using my oil burner except for hot water, my electric bill dropped by 15.

I like the security of not being dependent on electricity for heat and also the rising cost of that electricity.

Motors and linkages that run 24/7 have to be selected for heavy duty use. I am not sure this is always done.

I do like the potential efficiency of stokers and also the wider range of output.

If I were to buy a hand fired boiler my preference would be one of the old round pancake boilers in which I would put a lined fire pot.

As far as I have seen any new hand fired boiler I would regard as junk.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 10:21 am

franco b wrote:Don't disregard the cost of electricity. In my area a stoker with power vent would cost over $80 per month in additional electricity. By not using my oil burner except for hot water, my electric bill dropped by 15.

I like the security of not being dependent on electricity for heat and also the rising cost of that electricity.

Motors and linkages that run 24/7 have to be selected for heavy duty use. I am not sure this is always done.

I do like the potential efficiency of stokers and also the wider range of output.

If I were to buy a hand fired boiler my preference would be one of the old round pancake boilers in which I would put a lined fire pot.

As far as I have seen any new hand fired boiler I would regard as junk.
Surely there is some cost associated with a stoker motor and combustion fan, but I gotta believe the lions share of the $80.00 figure you mentioned is the power venter. Probably 75%. The small amount the stoker motor and fan use is easily offset by the savings and convenience of a stoker over a hand fired boiler. Output can be regulated much better with a stoker.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 12:19 pm

The power venter would account for about half the cost of electricity.

I went by the amperage figures on the Leisure line site.

Yes, there are real benefits to stokers but it is not all golden.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 1:11 pm

:idea: How about the best of both? Keep your hand-fed stove for extended power outages, and get a stoker boiler to evenly-heat your house and provide domestic hot water the rest of the time. That is what my brother did in his house...EFM boiler keeps every room whatever temperature you want, and the big-bad-Hitzer sits next to it waiting for the call to duty.

Also, most stoker boilers do not require any kind of constantly-running fan to keep the fire alive...they merely run the stoker motor a few minutes per hour to keep the fire alive. I think LL and Keystoker use a small fan that runs full time, but I'm not sure on the LL units. They use a few pennies of electric per hour to idle, but the savings is big when you get a warm afternoon and the boiler just "sleeps" instead of overheating the house.

strat0

Post Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 5:23 pm

well, first off, my electricity is very reliable. My current electric bill is approximately 85/month. Burning 5 ton of coal a year tho.... is more than I think it should take... but it is what it is! My water is still separate on my elec bill. It is about 18/month. The 85, is water and electric total.... I just don't know if I could recoup the cost of a boiler and everything that goes with it, in the next 10 years.... As I plan on selling in about 10 years... choices choices... :?:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”