Alternate Heating Systems

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 3:51 pm

Ya ok. I don't have enough money to pay for your GAS. Gulp Gulp..

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking the 260. As mentioned above. I could use the extra cash for insulation. I still want it outside though. Build a shed next to the shop. All the heat off the stove could help heat the shop.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:57 pm

So what other options are there besides AHS?

Looking big heat, reliable, low maint. Is that possible?

George
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Cast Consol 3 w/ coaltrol

Post by George » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 9:00 pm

You can look at EFM. They have been around for 80+ years :)
George
Sorry, can't type

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 9:21 pm

I have a buddy who has two EFM 520s one heats his 4,300 sq ft house and the other heats his 3,000 sq ft shop with 20' ceilings and an attached rec room (aka bar) and office. running both boilers year round he uses 16 tons of coal. An EFM is a good alternative and you can find refurbished units for around $2500.

The Keystokers are good units and the forum has several folks using them that you can ask for information. A KE15 at 300K BTU might be a good thing to look into.

Best of luck with you excursion into this addiction we call coal burning. :lol:

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 3:01 pm

Talked to the guys at Keystoker today and he answered alot of questions for me. I'm going down to Tunkhannock to look at one Friday, at a dealer. So it looks like Keystoker may be an option for me. Talking to the salesman though he mentioned the KE-15 had a 500lb hopper. Thats huge right? Another question. What about a chimney. I plan on building a shed/addition to my garage. Do I actually need a mansonary chimney? Would a Double walled pipe chimney create enough draft?

Thanks for the ideas and the answers.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Get that Dodge and Heatmor sold and you probably have the new boiler paid for along with all the coal you need for this year. Call me when it's being delivered. I'll help ya hook it up.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 7:05 pm

av8r wrote:Get that Dodge and Heatmor sold and you probably have the new boiler paid for along with all the coal you need for this year. Call me when it's being delivered. I'll help ya hook it up.
Bring that skidsteer down!
Lets grade out for a foundation for my shed.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 7:06 pm

cArNaGe wrote:Talking to the salesman though he mentioned the KE-15 had a 500lb hopper. Thats huge right?

Do I actually need a mansonary chimney? Would a Double walled pipe chimney create enough draft?
A quarter ton of coal is big, yes. Over 10 cubic feet I would guess.

You don't need it, but it will perform better and last longer. It may even cost less depending on how you go about it. A metal chimney really needs to be 316L to hold up well and it is very pricey. It will draft if its high enough.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 8:00 pm

cArNaGe wrote:
av8r wrote:Get that Dodge and Heatmor sold and you probably have the new boiler paid for along with all the coal you need for this year. Call me when it's being delivered. I'll help ya hook it up.
Bring that skidsteer down!
Lets grade out for a foundation for my shed.
Get up here with your trailer and we'll get r done...I love digging holes on other people's property.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 8:03 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
cArNaGe wrote:Talking to the salesman though he mentioned the KE-15 had a 500lb hopper. Thats huge right?

Do I actually need a mansonary chimney? Would a Double walled pipe chimney create enough draft?
A quarter ton of coal is big, yes. Over 10 cubic feet I would guess.

You don't need it, but it will perform better and last longer. It may even cost less depending on how you go about it. A metal chimney really needs to be 316L to hold up well and it is very pricey. It will draft if its high enough.
So how high is high enough?

15 feet?
I have a good friend who is a mason so the labor would be just beer. Maybe 20? I know it would draft in the winter when its cold out and the chimney is hot. But how would it work in the summer?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 8:13 pm

If you plan on running it through the summer, I would say go at the very least 25' and preferably 30'. 20' I think would be an absolute minimum in almost all cases.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 9:44 pm

cArNaGe wrote:Talked to the guys at Keystoker today and he answered alot of questions for me. I'm going down to Tunkhannock to look at one Friday, at a dealer. So it looks like Keystoker may be an option for me. Talking to the salesman though he mentioned the KE-15 had a 500lb hopper. Thats huge right? Another question. What about a chimney. I plan on building a shed/addition to my garage. Do I actually need a mansonary chimney? Would a Double walled pipe chimney create enough draft?

Thanks for the ideas and the answers.
If you are going to fireplace gallery they are great people to deal with from what I have heard and from the little bit that I have dealt with them . When I was looking he didnt have any boilers there though . I ended up buying a used KA-4 boiler and think it is a real nice unit so far . Very well built . If you go down saturday instead of friday I will be around and I would be right on youre route down 29 .If you want to see a boiler working. Its smaller but probably built similar . Dave

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks for the offer Dave.

I may take you up on it.

I'm in Montrose also. Well I have a Montrose Address but I live over in Forest Lake Twnshp.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 10:03 pm

cArNaGe wrote:Thanks for the offer Dave.

I may take you up on it.

I'm in Montrose also. Well I have a Montrose Address but I live over in Forest Lake Twnshp.
Small world huh !! I am actually in S. Montrose . I figured you were up in NY somewhere becuase of Av8r being in Owego . Dave

av8r

Post by av8r » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
cArNaGe wrote:Thanks for the offer Dave.

I may take you up on it.

Small world huh !! I am actually in S. Montrose . I figured you were up in NY somewhere becuase of Av8r being in Owego . Dave
Nawww...my admirers come from all over... :P

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”