Coal Being Ground to Fine Dust in Auger From Bin to Hopper.

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
inhotwater
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: DF 520

Post Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 11:22 am

Here's a little story of torment. Fall a Year ago I got four tons of rice coal in my bin. Shortly afterwards I started having problems with finely ground, wet coal being augered into my hopper. Since the bin was loaded I had no way to diagnose things associated with the auger. I blamed it on the coal since it started immediately after getting it. You can only imagine what dealing with fine coal was like with an EFM DF 520. After a year of torture, the bin auger finally ejected the culprit responsible for my agony. It was a piece of aluminum about 8" x 3/4" x 1/16" wrapped around the auger.This acted as a grinder, and moved up the auger tube at a snails pace to deliver the maximum portion of davilment. Life is back to normal once again.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 11:24 am

Foreign material in the coal can sure cause headaches. My 520 recently digested what I assume was a piece of belt, or something else made of rubber. I was in the basement when a big puff of blue smoke came out of my coal drum...it reeked like burning rubber. After about 10 seconds, all was normal again. :confused:

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 11:31 am

someone else just recently had a big piece of metal wraped around the auger feed.

inhotwater
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: DF 520

Post Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 6:23 pm

I saw that post. I believe that was in his coal tube or gooseneck. Mine was actually in the bin auger.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”