Here We Go ... Van Wert VA600 Re Do ...

bsteckel
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA600

Post by bsteckel » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 11:42 am

Finally cleared away enough crap in my garage to start cleaning up my Van Wert. It is a 1985 vintage. I am a 100% coal newbie here getting tired of vomiting when I see that fuel oil delivery slip stuck in the door :mad: Spent a few days cleaning off some surface rust and putting a fresh coat of paint on her. She was in pretty nice shape inside and out.

I have a few questions ... there is a "flange" that bolts to the main unit and then a fire door bolts to that with a sight hole. what seals the flange to the main unit? did not see any signs of a gasket here .. there is a rope gasket that seals the fire door to the flange, though. I also need to replace the rubber gasket on the hot water coil block off plate. Also, the seal that is glued to the ash door fell off and is in bad shape. What kind of seal can I get to replace this? It appears to be a hard woven flat gasket type of material (fiberglass or asbestos ???). There are also spring handles used when taking the fire door off .. can these be purchased somewhere ?? Lastly, is there a seal where the stoker bolts onto the boiler?? no sign of any .. I got the unit with the stoker taken off the boiler already.

Now onto the stoker. There are 2 small cracks in the fire rings. The top ring is not cracked all the way thru, but one of the smaller rings is all the way thru. I believe these are pretty pricey at $600 for the set. What are your thoughts on using them as is? The photos show how grimy the fan housing, gear housing is ... what is the best way to clean this off? was going to suspend the assembly with an engine hoist over a tub and brush down with some type of solvent, repeat, then repaint when done. Any ideas here. What needs to be done with the blower / gearbox as far as maintenance or replacement items. I already have a new electric motor.

Please reply with anything you think I need to do this unit while it is apart to get ready for its maiden voyage. My plans are to tie into my existing oil burner and use 24/7 365 for heat and DHW.

Sorry for the long post .. I have been lurking here awhile and now its time to get to work !!!!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brad

Attachments

IMG_0065.jpg
.JPG | 120.5KB | IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg
.JPG | 80.1KB | IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg
.JPG | 107.6KB | IMG_0067.jpg
IMG_0068.jpg
.JPG | 106.7KB | IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_0069.jpg
.JPG | 127.2KB | IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg
.JPG | 82.6KB | IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg
.JPG | 108.8KB | IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg
.JPG | 99.5KB | IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg
.JPG | 117KB | IMG_0073.jpg

ryan20strohl
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm coal boiler
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Bryant evolution heat pump

Post by ryan20strohl » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 11:52 am

clean it up with degreaser, as far a the grates see if you can replace just the two or run as is, just inspect everything really well. looks great so far.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 12:04 pm

That's one beautiful boiler there. With some loving care it will long serve you well.

bsteckel

Post by bsteckel » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 12:33 pm

thanks for the kind words .. it was in pretty good shape when I got it, I have had it in my garage waiting for some time and space to work on it. It must have been one of the later ones produced before they went out of business. I had a pole barn garage put up and this will be the Van Wert's new home once it is all finished ... waiting for the spring for floor pour. I need to find out what to look for, inspect, what to change for maintenance items, changing the gear oil, disassembly, etc. There is not a huge amount of info on this site about Van Werts, but I do see some guys running them ... just want to make sure I do things right :D

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 1:32 pm

What you do want to do is change the set of burn rings. I see a couple that need to be changed. You want to change them now when it is an easy thing to do. Contact Arnie Huntley for a set. I would change them out as a set. You won't have to deal with them again for twenty years. There are several that go at about the same time. When they go, they make a big hot spot that melts down the pot if left unattended. Nice job on the boiler! :)

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Looks like you are going to need a transmission shortly. When they start slinging oil out like that , it doesn't take long.

bsteckel

Post by bsteckel » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 1:40 pm

will check around for the burn ring replacements ... the transmission comment has me a little concerned ... the pic may look worse than it is .. mostly dust, dirt, etc ... no wet spots from oil. I assume there are gaskets that tend to leak over time? looks like someone kept the chain oiled REALLY well :roll: the crud is caked on. if the unit was kept full with oil, even with the leakage, the gears should be fine, no? is there a way to see if there is damage? all I know now is if you spin the pulley, everything moves. what else should I be looking for as I work on this ... what type of oil, where does it drain? will there be any issues if I spray it down with degreaser / solvent and brush off the crud .

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I wonder if JB Weld would seal the cracks?

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Looks great, nice work! :punk:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Do you already have the manual for this?
Last edited by McGiever on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

bsteckel

Post by bsteckel » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 7:21 pm

McGiever .. thanks for that ... I have been unable to find any info on this unit ... looked for an owners operation manual, etc .. came up empty ... thanks for the parts diagram.... will come in handy. if you know where an owners manual can be found, let me know. Merry Christmas ....

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I can offer the attached, courtesy of Rob R.

Mike
Van Wert Manual Scan.pdf
.PDF | 3.7MB | Van Wert Manual Scan.pdf

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 7:39 pm

J B weld will not work on the burner rings. The coal is burning at 2500 degrees for Christ's sake. Melts regular steel. Melts cast if the air concentrates there and blows it even hotter. Talk to Arnie. You will not find a better guy for the Van Werts. He will know about the transmission and will answer all your questions. He does own the Van Wert factory. :)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Arnie Huntley is a member here and has a parts business for these units. He may be a source for the Operators Manual. :idea:
Merry Christmas :)

http://vanwertboilers.com/

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”