Plumbing a AHS 130, What Pump and Pex Size

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
Redshooter
Stove/Furnace Make: Royal
Stove/Furnace Model: Add on

Post Fri. Dec. 21, 2012 12:28 pm

I am ready to start Installing our boiler and would like to know what size pump and what size pex for supply and return.

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 700

Post Fri. Dec. 21, 2012 12:52 pm

You need to provide info on distance and load (btu) and any other specific info.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post Fri. Dec. 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Read this thread, it will give you all the design information you need to have. Doing it any other way is just guessing.

Yanche's Toolbox, Piping & Circulator Selection Method
Yanche
Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Stoker Boiler burning Anthracite Pea Coal

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Redshooter

Post Sat. Feb. 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Well I have it plumbed and am getting ready to light it for the first time. I am open to suggestions on how to light it and set it up for the first time.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sat. Feb. 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Redshooter wrote:Well I have it plumbed and am getting ready to light it for the first time. I am open to suggestions on how to light it and set it up for the first time.
Calling *lsayer*...where are you.?
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sat. Feb. 16, 2013 7:13 pm

What kind of boiler are we talking about here? For our AHS Coal Gun I use a mapp gas or propane torch to light it. I dump in about 1/3 pail of old/dry coal ash, and then I load mine up all the way (filling the hopper also) with coal, and then I insert (jam) about 10-12 nuggets of Cowboy Coal into the anthracite through the flapper port (directly into the anthratube) and turn on the fan and lastly hit the Cowboy Coal with the torch. Then I keep a heavy load on it for two hours straight after ignition so the fan runs non stop and the boiler water comes up to 180 degrees while still under a load. For a load I run the hot water tap nearly wide open on the laundry sink in our basement. I do this because my circulator won't run unless the boiler is at 150 degrees, and therefore there is no load that I can apply to the boiler at lower temperatures sans the DHW load (via the internal coil). Then I set the regular loads (the T-stats) to 69 degrees and let it make heat for the home as needed. Then I turn on the switch to the ash grate motor. Whatever you do, don't forget this last step, or you will eventually have a hopper fire.

These instructions should basically work for AA Anthratubes, Eshland's, and AHS Coal Guns, but that's about it.
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Redshooter

Post Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 6:41 pm

We are located in south west michigan south of Kalamazoo. I appreciate your advice.

Redshooter

Post Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 6:52 pm

I forgot to tell you what boiler I have it is a AHS 130.

Redshooter

Post Mon. Feb. 25, 2013 9:57 am

I have it fired and the wife is loving the heat that it is putting out. The house is warm now, she said that I may have to turn down the heat in the house.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”