Wl110

xandrew245x
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: aarrow stratford 75
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut/rice
Other Heating: Oil boiler, fireplace

Post by xandrew245x » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello, I am thinking about purchasing a WL110, I love the price and the features of it. My current setup is an oil fired furnace rated at 128k BTU with hot water baseboard. I have a finished basement(900 sq ft) two separate rooms with a radiator in each one. Upstairs is 1200 sq ft and calls for the most heat. The basement rarely calls for heat, and with minimal heat keeps the basement comfortable and the temperature stays steady. I also want to use it fro DHW which would be in parallel with an electric water heater.

I had someone saying the WL110 wouldn't heat a 2100 sq ft house and DHW, but based on things I read about the WL110, I doubted that was true, but I would like to make sure.

For all of you who own the WL110 do you like the unit so far, any downfalls of it, or things you don't like about it?

jpd989
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Machine Basement Stove #3
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat and Chestnut

Post by jpd989 » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 4:25 pm

I have mine in since January 2012. Best move I made in my opinion. I am heating 1000sqft. And I have the standard hot water coil, 3gallons a minute. No trouble keeping up with water demands. Keeps the house very comfortable.

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Im looking hard at this same boiler...wondering if it could heat 2200 sq. ft home that is 7 years old?

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 5:58 pm

One of the owners of LL heats his 2800 sq ft home with the wl110 but every house is different.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Dave replaced an AA 130 he had rebuilt with the WL 110. He is doing well with it, BUT he does not live in Northern Maine. You need to be able to 'Play With The BIG DAWGS, if you want to stay warm in that area.
They have a very nice 220K dual stoker for those who just don't like to 'chance' that the 110 will be enough. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :!:

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 6:16 pm

whistlenut wrote:Dave replaced an AA 130 he had rebuilt with the WL 110. He is doing well with it, BUT he does not live in Northern Maine. You need to be able to 'Play With The BIG DAWGS, if you want to stay warm in that area.
They have a very nice 220K dual stoker for those who just don't like to 'chance' that the 110 will be enough. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :!:
Agree... but can I still power vent with that unit?

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Yes, but could you add a chimney easily? LL has a very good operating Power Venter, and they have a great deal of experience dealing with them. Give Dave or Matt a quick call, or email them.....they WILL get back to you!

The 110 was questioned when it was introduced and even the skeptics have to admit it is a great unit. It may look small to you, but when you heft that rig, better bring some help.
We did an install last winter down a slippery slope, and the 650 lbs is REAL!!! One thing that blows you away is how quiet they are. Don't feel afraid of this fine product, they are showing up everywhere! :D :idea:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Northern Maine wrote:Im looking hard at this same boiler...wondering if it could heat 2200 sq. ft home that is 7 years old?
What size is the oil boiler? How much fuel did you burn before the wood monster was installed?

Flyer5
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Northern Maine wrote:Im looking hard at this same boiler...wondering if it could heat 2200 sq. ft home that is 7 years old?
What size is the oil boiler? How much fuel did you burn before the wood monster was installed?
Ditto?

Flyer5
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 6:50 pm

whistlenut wrote:Yes, but could you add a chimney easily? LL has a very good operating Power Venter, and they have a great deal of experience dealing with them. Give Dave or Matt a quick call, or email them.....they WILL get back to you!

The 110 was questioned when it was introduced and even the skeptics have to admit it is a great unit. It may look small to you, but when you heft that rig, better bring some help.
We did an install last winter down a slippery slope, and the 650 lbs is REAL!!! One thing that blows you away is how quiet they are. Don't feel afraid of this fine product, they are showing up everywhere! :D :idea:
I have had some windy nights at around 10 degrees and no problem. I do have a pioneer on my first floor but it never comes off idle and my min is at 3. I use it a lot for testing purposes so I get a lot of relights and outages.( you want to talk about the multi-match club) Plus if the wife complains about the 76 degrees ( yes I keep my house at 76 degrees because I can ) the boiler is set to I just bump up the pioneer and only heat the living room to 80 and I can be comfortable in the basement working. My basement is also heated from the boiler and not well insulated . I used to use 700-900 gal of oil to keep the house at 68. Plus a propane fireplace. I am on top of a hill and would not say I am insulated from the wind at all. Seems like it blows right through at times I am ever trying to improve on that. But the boiler keeps right on going. My only complaint is I keep getting too much air in the damn hopper but I believe that is self inflicted. :D

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Flyer, after reading that, that leads me to believe the wl110 would have no problem heating my house. Last year I used about 500 gal of heating oil to keep my house around 68. The main reason for wanting to switch is to be able to actually keep my house warm and comfortable without paying the extra $1000 in oil.

My basement is very well insulated, the main floor is moderately insulated I believe, it is a brick house, I heard they are better insulated then most houses. I think the WL110 would perform well for me.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 8:00 pm

To put things in perspective I have had the boiler running over 2 years with three wmoen in the house and have never run out of hot water. I have almost 1500 sqft on the main floor not counting the basement. The wife has the thermostat set for 75 and I live right by a 1.5 mile long lake and the wind howls all winter and like I said we are always warm and have plenty of hot water. In fact I have over 2 inches of ash at the end of the grate on my full burn setting without any trouble keeping up.

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 5:59 am

Flyer5 wrote:
Rob R. wrote: What size is the oil boiler? How much fuel did you burn before the wood monster was installed?
Ditto?
The boiler I have is a Peerless...the BTU's are 112000 with a gross of 129000....I burned 750 gallons of oil the first winter I had it, but since then have been burning wood. I live in a valley surrounded by woods and get very little wind. Does this help?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 6:35 am

Your load is very light considering the size of your house and your location. I used to burn about 1200 gallons MORE per year. :fear:

The 110k figure for the LL boiler is the gross input?? It is less than I am used to dealing with when it comes to boilers, but it might be fine for your needs.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 7:48 am

Rob R. wrote:Your load is very light considering the size of your house and your location. I used to burn about 1200 gallons MORE per year. :fear:

The 110k figure for the LL boiler is the gross input?? It is less than I am used to dealing with when it comes to boilers, but it might be fine for your needs.
wow If I spent that much on oil I would cry myself to sleep every night. I about cried just over the first tank filling this year :x

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”