Wl110

xandrew245x
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: aarrow stratford 75
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut/rice
Other Heating: Oil boiler, fireplace

Post by xandrew245x » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Matthaus wrote:The base gets up to around 200*F but based on our UL testing we passed with the boiler within 4" of the temp sensor wall. If I am understanding what you described it should be OK, it is very important to have enough clearance on the ash door side (the code requirement is 48") so you can remove the ash pan and not be cramped for lighting and adjusting the unit.
I have more than enough room on the ash door side, I have about 52" to the shelf that are on the wall and they stick out about a foot, so I have about 62" from where the unit would sit to the wall.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Wed. Jan. 02, 2013 3:03 pm

I found someone interested in my car, so I may have money sooner than anticipated to buy a boiler. With this winter being almost half over I may just get it installed and then I can tinker with it a little, but wait until next heating season to really use it, all depends on how long it takes to get it all hooked up.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Tue. Oct. 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Reviving a bit of an old threat here from me. I'm looking into getting a coal burning stove this year, but i'm still stuck on the wl110. I am thinking of either buying a used hand fire stove for upstairs, or possibly diving in for the boiler.

Here is my thought though, Instead of running the new boiler in parallel with my existing one, I am thinking of removing the boiler in place now and replacing with the wl110. Reason being, last year I had the furnace guys here 3 times of the winter because of problems. 2 times the controller stopped working and they had to replace it, this was a brand new controller from the previous year. Third time they came out, my furnace oil pump lost prime. I would store the boiler that came out in case I ever sell because I plan on taking the wl110 with me if I move.

Without moving the existing furnace I have clearance issues. back, front and hopper side would be fine, but the other side would be within 7 inches of the oil gun of my existing boiler.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Oct. 07, 2014 9:12 pm

Since you say you would store the old oil boiler anyway...just remove the oil gun and oil lines only, and store them...leave the rest in place. :idea:

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Tue. Oct. 07, 2014 9:40 pm

That is truthfully a viable option, the existing furnace wouldn't be a combustible surface so I could get fairly close to that, everything else has plenty of clearance, it would just be slightly cramped in the room with that in there with the other boiler too.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Wed. Oct. 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Well the decision has been made, and I am going to purchase the wl110. I'm going to be calling an installer tomorrow to come take a look at where I want it installed and how I want it set up and probably give an estimate on it. If everything is a green light from the installer then I am going to make the purchase.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 08, 2014 8:40 pm

xandrew245x wrote:Well the decision has been made, and I am going to purchase the wl110. I'm going to be calling an installer tomorrow to come take a look at where I want it installed and how I want it set up and probably give an estimate on it. If everything is a green light from the installer then I am going to make the purchase.
Good, You're taking the first step toward comfort that a lot of people can only dream about. :up:

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Wed. Oct. 08, 2014 9:00 pm

I hope I am making the right decisions.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Oct. 09, 2014 5:53 am

Sometimes you can think yourself right into a Blind Alley.....With what you already have in place,and you've been looking at this decision for quite sometime,I feel you've put it to bed. The Leisure Line Boys took time with you on this Thread. It didn't result in an immediate sale for them. They're still here,and so are the Board Members who helped and gave you their advice. Not much of that happens anymore. Enjoy the Warmth,and realize that your investment will pay for itself in time. If you move,you've created options to accommodate that. Nice Job! :up:

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Thu. Oct. 09, 2014 7:32 am

Hambden Bob wrote:Sometimes you can think yourself right into a Blind Alley.....With what you already have in place,and you've been looking at this decision for quite sometime,I feel you've put it to bed. The Leisure Line Boys took time with you on this Thread. It didn't result in an immediate sale for them. They're still here,and so are the Board Members who helped and gave you their advice. Not much of that happens anymore. Enjoy the Warmth,and realize that your investment will pay for itself in time. If you move,you've created options to accommodate that. Nice Job! :up:
You are entirely right, it's just very hard to pull the trigger on an expensive item. But the more I look at the situation it is the absolute best route even with spending the extra money up front. I was actually settled on purchasing a pellet stove for my main floor, but there was to many things that I was unsettled about with that. I would have had to spent another 600+ for a liner and outside air kit to go up my existing Chimney. Another issue was I thrn had no heat in my basement, which would result in nbuying another heating supply for down there. That could easily have me over the 4k mark, and I could have already purchased the boiler at that point. Lastly the price of pellets have risen a good bit, and I assume one day they wouldn't even been worth it anymore. Those factors really put the pellet stove to rest.

The guys from leisure line have been absolutely awesome, and I feel terrible that I wasn't able to purchase the boiler last year, but I had situations come up that I had no control over and the money just wasn't available anymore. Luckily I've been putting money aside this year and I have all my ducks in line.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 09, 2014 7:51 am

And unlike that pellet stove...with coal you won't need a weekly shut down to scrape and clean the burn pot. ;)

And no annoying fans to listen to droning away in the background constantly. :idea:

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Thu. Oct. 09, 2014 8:22 am

You are so right about that, alot of reviews on the pellet stoves I read said about the blowers being very noisy.

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Thu. Oct. 09, 2014 8:45 am

I just talked to an installer and he told me not to even bother with a coal boiler, he said they have installed 30 or so in the past 6 years and almost all of them have reverted back to their oil furnaces, they got tired of dealing with coal, and the mess and everything else. The entire time I was telling him I have talked to a good many people who have this specific model and they absolutely love and was the best decision they have made. He then ends with, those boilers could burn coal/wood/oil and I thatch when It clicked he was talking about hand fired boilers. I explained to him then that what I was getting was a stoker that automatically fed coal from a hopper and had an ash pan for emptying, the only maintenance was filling the hopper and emptying the pan, and some cleaning every now and then and he said he never heard of one like that before.

He also said they are highly inefficient which I don't believe at all, with oil being over 4$ a gallon, I really don't mind doing the little bit of extra work required for coal, and then being able to keep my house nice and warm for cheap!

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 09, 2014 9:16 am

Installers, for the most part, are very spoiled.
Their typical customer is generally not very heating knowledgeble and can be lead pretty much in whatever direction they would like to take them.

System replacements/upgrades are large and fast money for them...and they are not looking to get out of their comfort zone. :idea:

xandrew245x

Post by xandrew245x » Thu. Oct. 09, 2014 9:55 am

Yeah I agree, I'm not falling for it though, I know exactly how much I can save by not using oil and that makes me happy. Last year I used 150 gallons of oil just from January to the end of the heating season which was around march. That cost me over $600 bucks, that could have bought me my coal for the season. From the beginning of the heating season to january I used probably over 150 gallons, I kept the heat off in my finished basement, the heat was down at around 63 during the day and 65 when I was home.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”