Can't Get Enough Heat Out of VF3000

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 08, 2012 8:52 am

I would like him to try some different coal as an above post mentioned.

Kevin

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sat. Dec. 08, 2012 9:03 am

I would like him to try some different coal as an above post mentioned.
I'm bad thought he tried that, I agree

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Dec. 08, 2012 9:54 am

I think someone who knows this boiler to check it out in person. I think it's got to be more than just the coal.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 08, 2012 6:37 pm

BinghamtonNY wrote:Gonna Chime in on this. I have a Magnum stoker and had the exact problem Hillside is having. Just a lazy fire and no heat output. Only variable was I put newly picked up coal in my stove. Same dealer as always just bought it couple months later. Once that coal got onto the fire it just killed it. I checked everything, then checked the coal. It was just COVERED in fines. So my quick solution was to put a drying rack over my ash pan and sift all the fines off it, or as much as I could.It was amazing how much came off the coal. Once that "clean" coal was feed thru it was burning like it normally does. All these symptoms sound all too similiar. Please give that a look...
He says it also...too many fines.

coalsmoke

Post by coalsmoke » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 9:01 am

Hillside, I live in Lewistown and have had a vf 3000 for about three years now . I might be able to help you, give me a phone# and we will get together

Hillside

Post by Hillside » Fri. Dec. 21, 2012 8:26 am

I want to thank everyone for there help so far... as of now as long as I sift the fines off the coal it has been working but the temps up til now have been above what I was having problems at. So when the temps drop I will let everyone know how it is working..

bde-19547
Stoker Coal Boiler: VF3000
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by bde-19547 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Well I thought I had things working fairly well till I decided to clean things out under the grates, I shut down, removed the grates cleaned all the fines replaced the grates and have not been able to get heat out of it since especially now that the 10 degree weather hit. I've resorted to sifting the coal to get rid of the fines and it seemed to help a bit but I'm really struggling. The damper in front of the blower has to be almost closed or I get steam coming out the bin (and CO alarm going off). What am I doing wrong, this is my 4th year and so much more difficult than first years. I'm still holding .04 in front of the baro. I'm so frustrated. :mad:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 7:41 pm

bde-19547 wrote:Well I thought I had things working fairly well till I decided to clean things out under the grates, I shut down, removed the grates cleaned all the fines replaced the grates and have not been able to get heat out of it since especially now that the 10 degree weather hit. I've resorted to sifting the coal to get rid of the fines and it seemed to help a bit but I'm really struggling. The damper in front of the blower has to be almost closed or I get steam coming out the bin (and CO alarm going off). What am I doing wrong, this is my 4th year and so much more difficult than first years. I'm still holding .04 in front of the baro. I'm so frustrated. :mad:
When you see steam coming out of the bin and have CO alarm going off...you surely can not have a draft reading of negative .04 inch water column. It is not possible!

Your vent pipes and chimney needs some cleaning. There is some restriction or blockage there.

bde-19547

Post by bde-19547 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Just remeasured draft with Dwyer #460 air meter, I have .05 at barometric damper, .02 on hole in door, and small amount of steam out of bin.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 9:16 pm

I feel bad for you. I can not help trouble shoot the VF-3000, as I no nothing about it. I have to say, I'm heating almost as much square feet as you with a smaller boiler. My Kaa-2 will heat my place to where ever the thermostat is set. I have a friend with Harman Mag, which I believe is the same stoker in your VF-3000. He once told me he replaces his grates every year, due to warpage. Are your grates warped? Is air getting around your grates?

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 10:23 pm

bde-19547 wrote:Well I thought I had things working fairly well till I decided to clean things out under the grates, I shut down, removed the grates cleaned all the fines replaced the grates and have not been able to get heat out of it since especially now that the 10 degree weather hit. I've resorted to sifting the coal to get rid of the fines and it seemed to help a bit but I'm really struggling. The damper in front of the blower has to be almost closed or I get steam coming out the bin (and CO alarm going off). What am I doing wrong, this is my 4th year and so much more difficult than first years. I'm still holding .04 in front of the baro. I'm so frustrated. :mad:
If the restrictor plate on the combustion fan is almost closed and you are getting flue gases out of the hopper, you have a major restriction somewhere in the venting of this boiler. When earlier you said you cleaned out the ash compartment, did you remove the little metal door that slides down over the area where the flue pipe exits? That area will fill up with flyash. Do you have horizontal sections of vent pipe that have not been cleaned?

bde-19547

Post by bde-19547 » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 6:04 pm

I cleaned the chimney and behind the little metal door that slides down over the area where the flue pipe exits and the horizontal portion of pipe too. Readjusted blower damper for .02 on door and .04 at chimney and still having trouble. Low flame, not enough heat. Any more suggestions?

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Well it was in the 60's today and that does not help your draft. Are you sure your combustion blower is working correctly? Is it fully slid back to its full installed postion? My cousin who uses a vf3000 called me last fall and said his boiler was acting up and not burning right. His combustion blower was only halfway slid back in positon. Other than that it sound slike you might have some bad coal. :?: :?:

bde-19547

Post by bde-19547 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2013 10:41 am

yes the blower is correctly working and in proper position. Question, should I be using 6" or 7" chimney pipe? When first installed, I had 7" pipe and replaced it with 6" last year when the 7" rotted out. I thought since the outlet was 6" that 6" would be OK. It did seam to work better with 7" but there are other changes since then such as coal supplier and wear and tear so I don't know which change caused the problem. I don't know what variables are most critical.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Jan. 31, 2013 11:00 am

I've had 6" on mine since day 1 with no problems. I'm starting to think maybe the coal variable is the reason you are having problems. I've been fortunate to always get good coal. Maybe try some different coal from a known quality source.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”