Can't Get Enough Heat Out of VF3000

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Nov. 23, 2012 6:22 pm

Here's the positio0n that your grate cleanout lever should be in. If it's not like this you are blowing air out the bottom of the grate holder instead of through the coal fire.
grate holder cleanout.jpg
.JPG | 97.4KB | grate holder cleanout.jpg
Here is how the combustion fan should look when in the correct position.
combustion fan.jpg
.JPG | 96KB | combustion fan.jpg
Here's roughly how your restrictor plate should look.
restrictor plate.jpg
.JPG | 97.1KB | restrictor plate.jpg
Never thought to ask you about the gaskets. you said you took the boiler apart after last season. There are several gaskets that must be installed at the stoker to boiler connection, the grate holder, etc.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Nov. 23, 2012 6:35 pm

How about the squirrel fan on the blower, are the little cups clean. Is the coal wet or oiled heavy or like was asked already or a lot of fines? Did you actually measure the draft at the stove pipe with a manometer? Sorry if you answered this already I didn't go back to look? That is a strange fire.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 11:19 pm

:taz: :taz: :taz: Hillside, where are you buddy? It pains me when your oil burner is running. ;)

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Funny, just what I was thinking! :shock:

Kevin

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 6:14 am

KLook wrote:Looking at that picture, I would check the holes in the grates.
Kevin

I think we have a Bingo!

I'll bet a bucket of coal that either A: the blades of the fan are clogged (dust, car hair, UFO exhaust leak) You need to take extra care when looking at the fan blades. They can look OK at a quick glance, but close inspection will reveal a thin yet complete coating of crappola. or B: the holes in the grate are plugged. (Rust, dust, fine bits of coal) It's very difficult to see each hole. Shut down, remove the grate, find the right size drill & bore yourself to death by counting the holes as you drill them clean.

I'd have added debris under the burn plate but you said you just cleaned that.

I guess also...anything being possible... you say it hasn't worked well from day one.... perhaps fan air is leaking somehow...missing gasket? Something misaligned? And yes, open a window in the boiler room a crack.

Hillside

Post by Hillside » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 12:39 pm

coalkirk ,, I looked at your photos I can take some of my own, but my parts look like the photos. I will get some of the coal this afternoon. 34 degrees outside and a breeze I am maintaining 130 degrees, running continuously. have the pusher block turned up all the way fan open all the way. took grates out all holes are open not obstruction at all. I am taking my bore scope removing the fan to see if anything in there or a cause .. Can a person get bad coal??

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Just curious, have you contacted your dealer? Did you ask for a service call? Sorry if this was asked and answered already but I didn't see it if it was.

KLook

Post by KLook » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Pusher bloke turned all the way up??? :o If I did that with mine, the coal would be piling up in the ash bucket. :shock: Is something preventing the pusher from coming all the way back? Not sure this is possible actually, but it is not pushing enough coal and it is not pushing it evenly as the picture shows. I am leaning towards a blockage above or at the pusher block.

kevin

Hillside

Post by Hillside » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 1:06 pm

no but that may be my next step ,,,

KLook

Post by KLook » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 1:20 pm

one good size rock in a bag, if you are using bagged would do that. I got some incredible rocks and large coal out of all three brands I used. Reading, Kimmel, and Blaschak.

Kevin

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Read Freddys post too. If the curved vanes of your combustion fan are clogged with dust, etc. it will not be a vigoruous air flow. To check that you need to slide the combustion fan out from under the stoker and remove the restrictor plate and screen. Take a fine brush and cleanout any junk. Plug it in while uninstalled and see if you are getting a good amount of air out of the fan. The fan puts out much more air than the fire needs, hence the restrictor plate. I can't imagine its the coal unless its jammed with fines.

it's 30's here too and my boiler is sitting at 180.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Hillside wrote: Can a person get bad coal??
That's what I was speculating in my previous post. Poorly sized coal w/ lots of too small pieces choking the air flow.

But I really think you have other issues besides the coal sizing...Did you measure the *FORK* gap...needs to be 1-3/4" and I would pull the aluminum pusher block to see and remove any accumulation of fines and build up crud in that area...packed fines (especially if they were wet) in pusher block area will guarantee the *FORK* will be forced open wider and deliver less coal per stroke and also, rust around aluminum pusher block will cause a strain and force the *FORK* to spread.
You stated that you have the stroke adjustment at max and it appears in the picture that no burning coal is near the edge...that isn't right for being at max.

If these checkpoints are above your abilities...you best call a service technician to schedule a service call.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Most good service people are booked out a ways. You should get something scheduled soon before it becomes an emergency. You will be disappointed when they tell you 3 or 4 weeks out.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Nov. 26, 2012 9:39 am

Using a s toothbrush or Q-tips to wipe down each fan blaed in the squirl cage fan will help,. I'd deviniitely empty the hopper and clean out the bottom feed area, you may find a chunk of wooe, a rock, or oversize piece of coal.
Your fire is definitely lazy.. that usuallly meas too little air.. as mentioned, check the fan's output,

Let us know what you find,,

Greg L

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Nov. 27, 2012 9:29 am

OK, I'm going to admit that I have no life. But I am more invested in this problem than I should be. I guess it's because I have a soft spot in my heart (actually in my head :P ) for the VF3000. Having sucessfully used this boiler to heat my home for 9+ seasons, I take it personally when someone speaks ill of one. If the info this gentleman has provided about his home is accurate this boiler should be doing a fine job. Come on Hillside...you're killing me. I've checked this thread a dozen times over the last 2 days and NOTHING! OK, maybe you are a very busy guy and just haven't had time to check in. I hope that's it cause you are making me lose sleep.

Just kiding of course but I am very interested in your problem and helping you solve it. Please try to give us some update everyday until this is resolved. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”