Stoker Coal Boiler That Would Best Meet My Needs

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 1:17 pm

I don't know about a 520 (due to its fairly small auger tube size), but I think the bigger EFM's can handle "stoker bit". There is info from tests of EFM's burning bit and sub-bit from different sources in the EFM section.

Mike

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 5:46 am

My brother is sold on the Portage and Main unit...I need to convince him we can have the same results with another used/refurbished product for a much better price/design/history. With this in mind...I may very well go on my own with a unit to heat "just"my home and burn only 3 tons a year. Thoughts!?

331camaro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by 331camaro » Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 11:46 am

i would have no fear in buying a used unit giving that it looks like its in decent shape. maybe bring hardware to plug all pipe holes and pressure test unit if its not up and running. all of these boilers are built extremely well. if did it over again I don't think I would buy new, theres a considerable amount of savings on a used unit. there are a couple boilers in the classifieds right now for about half of what they cost new. I would get in touch with member glenn harris, he is always posting used efms, and keystokers. im sure he can find you the right sized unit at a great price. good luck!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”