Yellow Flame

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
User avatar
MATTHEW D.
Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2
Location: Pottsville, Pa.

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 11:24 am

I got a call to replace the grates in a Yellow Flame on Monday. When I got there and took a good look at the blower side of the boiler it was scary. Every nut and bolt holding the grates and air chamber on the base were rusted beyond the point of no return!! Sorry the pic didn't come out better. I told him I could replace the grates through the fire door but its the side rail I'm concerned with. It has to be replaced and the only way to do it is if I can crawl inside and work on it that way. The side rail was burned out and rigged with a masonry trowel and C-clamp. :shock: Check out the pic. I was able to sit inside the boiler . I told him if I'm able to heat the bolts on the side rail and loosen them this can work. It took some time but I was able to get them loose and replace everything. Just thought you might like this one. Here are some pics.
Attachments
100_9130.JPG
100_9131.JPG
100_9136.JPG
100_9137.JPG
100_9141.JPG
100_9143.JPG

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

User avatar
lsayre
Member
Posts: 12243
Joined: Wed. Nov. 23, 2005 9:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)
Location: N/E Ohio, between Medina and Wadsworth

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 11:38 am

That last picture says it all. Nice work!
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

User avatar
Wiz
Member
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun. Nov. 27, 2011 8:45 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(
Location: Tannersville Pa

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Amazing that someone would let it get to that point, nice job on getting it back in shape.
Randy
If you have time to make a post looking for free advice, then show some appreciation and say thank you.

User avatar
Dennis
Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun. Oct. 30, 2011 5:44 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size
Location: Pottstown,Pa

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 5:51 pm

job well done,I'm sure someone else would of wanted to replace the whole thing.That's what your experence and expertize can do. And I was wondering where I left my trowel at. :clap:

User avatar
MATTHEW D.
Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2
Location: Pottsville, Pa.

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks for the comps......I get a lot of calls like that. 5 years past due on repairs. No one wants to touch anything but an EFM. But I do explain to these people that I might be opening a can of worms once I start working on it. But it still is better than replacing it. Thats why I didn't touch the blower side of the boiler. That would be an entirely different project to drill and restud every bolt or get into a welding project. We'll attempt that next year he agreed to. Whats your address Dennis? I'll sent your trowel back :lol:

User avatar
MATTHEW D.
Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2
Location: Pottsville, Pa.

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 6:19 pm

MATTHEW D. wrote:Thanks for the comps......I get a lot of calls like that. 5 years past due on repairs. No one wants to touch anything but an EFM. But I do explain to these people that I might be opening a can of worms once I start working on it. But it still is better than replacing it. Thats why I didn't touch the blower side of the boiler. That would be an entirely different project to drill and restud every bolt or get into a welding project. We'll attempt that next year he agreed to. Whats your address Dennis? I'll send your trowel back :lol:

User avatar
Rob R.
Site Moderator
Posts: 11356
Joined: Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 4:26 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy
Location: Chazy, NY

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Nice job Matt.

Could you retrofit a Keystoker stoker on that boiler?

rberq
Member
Posts: 5015
Joined: Mon. Apr. 16, 2007 9:34 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane
Location: Central Maine

Post Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 6:50 pm

MATTHEW D. wrote:Whats your address Dennis? I'll sent your trowel back :lol:
Better have the guy hold onto the trowel and the c-clamp. He may need them in 15-20 years, and after all they were removed from an operating unit so we know they are serviceable.
Simple answers for simple minds.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

User avatar
MATTHEW D.
Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2
Location: Pottsville, Pa.

Post Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 5:28 am

Rob R. wrote:Nice job Matt.

Could you retrofit a Keystoker stoker on that boiler?
Thanks Rob........I never tried to do that but it can be done with some modifications.

User avatar
blrman07
Member
Posts: 2380
Joined: Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 3:39 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.
Location: Girardville Pa.

Post Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 7:28 am

I have a yellow flame 3 grate boiler. Yes you can retrofit a Keystoker unit right onto it. Just have to fabricate a mounting plate and your off and running. I checked into that on the off chance that Marks supply in Shenandoah Pa. decided to quit carrying parts. Just a quick interesting note. My side rail is cracked halfway through top to bottom. It's the same one and cracked in the same place that one was broken!!!
Rev. Larry
Ashland Pa.

1 John 1:9... If we sin and we confess that sin He is faithful and just and will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

User avatar
MATTHEW D.
Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2
Location: Pottsville, Pa.

Post Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 8:40 am

blrman07 wrote:I have a yellow flame 3 grate boiler. Yes you can retrofit a Keystoker unit right onto it. Just have to fabricate a mounting plate and your off and running. I checked into that on the off chance that Marks supply in Shenandoah Pa. decided to quit carrying parts. Just a quick interesting note. My side rail is cracked halfway through top to bottom. It's the same one and cracked in the same place that one was broken!!!
That is interesting.........Maybe you should pic up a trowel and c-clamp to get through the next few years.........just a thought :lol:

User avatar
Dennis
Member
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun. Oct. 30, 2011 5:44 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size
Location: Pottstown,Pa

Post Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 4:03 pm

MATTHEW D. wrote:
blrman07 wrote:I have a yellow flame 3 grate boiler. Yes you can retrofit a Keystoker unit right onto it. Just have to fabricate a mounting plate and your off and running. I checked into that on the off chance that Marks supply in Shenandoah Pa. decided to quit carrying parts. Just a quick interesting note. My side rail is cracked halfway through top to bottom. It's the same one and cracked in the same place that one was broken!!!
That is interesting.........Maybe you should pic up a trowel and c-clamp to get through the next few years.........just a thought :lol:
I'm all out of trowels,sorry :funny:

User avatar
blrman07
Member
Posts: 2380
Joined: Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 3:39 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.
Location: Girardville Pa.

Post Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 5:46 pm

Still got the c clamp though? that could get me four more years of usage before the side rail completely falls off right?
Rev. Larry
Ashland Pa.

1 John 1:9... If we sin and we confess that sin He is faithful and just and will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

User avatar
MATTHEW D.
Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2
Location: Pottsville, Pa.

Post Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 8:15 pm

blrman07 wrote:Still got the c clamp though? that could get me four more years of usage before the side rail completely falls off right?
Pick up some duct tape also....... just in case your hopper starts falling off.............
Attachments
100_9129.JPG

User avatar
MATTHEW D.
Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 1:44 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2
Location: Pottsville, Pa.

Post Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 9:06 pm

BTW the duct tape wasn't my work :lol:

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Post Reply

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”