Pressure Relief Valve Leaking

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. Apr. 27, 2012 2:27 pm

For those of you looking to download code documents, many of the codes are available for free download here:

https://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

Most are one or more revisions out of date, but still quite useful since not much changes in a new release.

You will note many of the codes incorporate copyrighted documents, frequently some ICC or NFPA code. Take a look at an associated site:

https://public.resource.org/index.html

for a discussion about the legality of this resource. Basically when your state or city government makes a law that incorporates a copyrighted document as part of the that law, that specific law and referenced document becomes a public document, not subject to copyright.

You will find the same ICC code in many states laws. Some are simply image scans of the code book. More desirable are the true pdf file ones because they are searchable with a pdf reader. I can tell you the Maryland codes are searchable.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Apr. 27, 2012 3:02 pm

I've heard that each time a PRV opens it weakens it a bit. Is this generally true?

PS: I've heard the same for electrical breakers....

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Fri. Apr. 27, 2012 9:10 pm

lsayre wrote:I've heard that each time a PRV opens it weakens it a bit. Is this generally true?

PS: I've heard the same for electrical breakers....
This is not true. Any safety device needs to be tested per manufacturer's recommendations. Some B&G relief valves I have purchased have a tag on them recommending a yearly opening via the lever. I assume this is to ensure that they do not stick closed as I have had valves do.

What you need to be concered about is that corrosion or sediment does not get under the seat.

Electrical breakers should be tested or flipped yearly also. Commercially, testing is available but it is not economical for residential size breakers.

However, using a circuit breaker as a switch will eventually weaken it if it is not rated for switching duty. For instance, a building where someone come in and turns on the lights with the circuit breaker would be a concern. Switching rated breakers are a must for this application. This is known as SWD rated.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Apr. 27, 2012 9:30 pm

steamup wrote:This is not true. Any safety device needs to be tested per manufacturer's recommendations. Some B&G relief valves I have purchased have a tag on them recommending a yearly opening via the lever. I assume this is to ensure that they do not stick closed as I have had valves do.

What you need to be concered about is that corrosion or sediment does not get under the seat.

Electrical breakers should be tested or flipped yearly also. Commercially, testing is available but it is not economical for residential size breakers.

However, using a circuit breaker as a switch will eventually weaken it if it is not rated for switching duty. For instance, a building where someone come in and turns on the lights with the circuit breaker would be a concern. Switching rated breakers are a must for this application. This is known as SWD rated.
Steamup, thanks for clarifying this for me.

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 3:06 pm

I like to install a flush valve in parell to the
Safety to get rid of the dirty water traped in front of safty
until it lifts

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”