Bearings On My S260 Belt Drive Loosening Up

chevymatt
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260

Post by chevymatt » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm having problems with the bearings on my S260 belt drive loosening up. Does anybody else have the same problems? And if so how did you fix it? I've tried cranking down on the pillow bearings and loosening the belt tension but nothing seems to last for very long and the fan shaft starts rubbing again. Thanks for any help or suggestions

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Is it the tiny Allen set screws on the bearings that are loosening up, or is it the large bolts/nuts that actually hold the bearings in position that are loosening up?

chevymatt

Post by chevymatt » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:36 pm

The large ones. I've cranked down on them as much as I dare

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:37 pm

chevymatt wrote:The large ones. I've cranked down on them as much as I dare
Do you have lock washers on them? Also check the Allen set screws if you are having noise. Perhaps the bearings are not snugged down to the shaft?

chevymatt

Post by chevymatt » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:47 pm

What's happening is that the rear bearing bolts loosen up and the belt pulls the shaft over and then the fan shaft rubs on the small opening that goes through the shroud and makes a very loud annoying sound. I take a hammer and beat the bearing back straight and it's fine for a day or less.

chevymatt

Post by chevymatt » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Yes there is bell view washers and air craft nuts with the nylons inserts

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:52 pm

chevymatt wrote:What's happening is that the rear bearing bolts loosen up and the belt pulls the shaft over and then the fan shaft rubs on the small opening that goes through the shroud and makes a very loud annoying sound. I take a hammer and beat the bearing back straight and it's fine for a day or less.
I would replace the nuts with standard nuts that don't have any nylon inserts, plus add lock washers. Also check the Allen set screws after changing the nuts and washers, as they may be working loose. But first I would strongly recommend that you call the AHS Tech Line and ask for Darren or Shawn. (717) 261-5507

chevymatt

Post by chevymatt » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 8:56 pm

I will do that. Thanks for your help Isayre

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 9:01 pm

This sounds like a great application for a threadlocker compound. Also, if you are using a low quality grease that is bleeding oil all over the bearing housing you may have to clean the bolts and mounting surface with solvent.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I would also use flat washers combined with split lock washers (spring lock washers).

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Matt, how long have you had this unit? Buy it new? Any idea how many seasons it has been fired? I can advise you on what to look for, and the bearing are not the only issue. Shaft diameter? 1/2" of 5/8"
There is a reason why Pete and friends do it the way they do. :idea: :!: Complete fix is about $750.00, less if you buy the parts and rebuild it yourself....but the parts swap is a little more. (I do recommend the parts swap, and not the rebuild).

chevymatt

Post by chevymatt » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 10:17 pm

whistlenut wrote:Matt, how long have you had this unit? Buy it new? Any idea how many seasons it has been fired? I can advise you on what to look for, and the bearing are not the only issue. Shaft diameter? 1/2" of 5/8"
There is a reason why Pete and friends do it the way they do. :idea: :!: Complete fix is about $750.00, less if you buy the parts and rebuild it yourself....but the parts swap is a little more. (I do recommend the parts swap, and not the rebuild).
Whistlenut, I bought the unit new from AHS last year. It's been in service since the middle of December 2011. It has a 5/8" shaft.

What other issues should I be looking for? I've installed a new belt, new pillow bearings and and pulley on the shaft. I broke the other pulley not realizing it was plastic or similar. Any info to get it straightened out would be great. Thanks

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 10:50 pm

I'll PM you in the AM......tired today from that 90 degrees. Have you had the fan assembly out of the boiler before? The vibration in the pillow blocks is coming from within the boiler, so unless you have some 'pre-enjoyed' pillow block assemblies from the Saturn 5, with 6" diameter bolts, you can't control the vibration. Is it severe enough to make the unit want to go 'walkabout'? I know the frustration you are feeling, but we will resolve this 'quirk' before you take up 'drinking' as an Olympic Sport! (Here is a 'first thought'..ever wonder WHY everything on an AA is mounted in rubber bushings? Ahah! Light bulbs flashing on and off?) You are getting the picture, I'll bet.
Pete Axeman loves these stories, knowing it will at some point happen to the pillow block design. Many think the old timers were not that clever, HOWEVER I disagree, and am thankful for what they did with the knowledge and metallurgical abilities of the day. They were brilliant, and only after we dig inside their minds do we see just how brilliant. May we be so lucky ourselves. Slow and steady wins the race every single time.....and somewhere within that 'race' comes 'family, fiends, and some treasured moments. The ride may be rough, but the trip is worth it....most days. PS: Today was NOT a good day for a 26 mile run in 90 degree weather! .....or to watch the 'Sox' choke once again......oh well......

Gotta get some sleep...not like that 'Freetown Mountain Boy' who rides his steed through the hills and valleys all night AND still works a full day. Old Age is creeping up on me I guess....... :D :roll: :oops: :shock:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I don't know WN, that steed of mine wouldn't even come out of his condo today while dumb ass me pulled & reset about 50 T-posts worth of pasture enlarging--just gettin to the point that I don't feel like I'm going to puke & going to bed. That 90* knocked the crap out of me. :sick: :flex: Yep, that old age thing will do that, I think it's a given but I'm not going out easy. toothy My Grandpop always said "if you're going to be dumb, ya better be tough"

whistlenut

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Apr. 17, 2012 7:17 am

Grandpa was a smart man fred!!!!!! 45 out here right now and the buds are just starting to appear.......
Think of centrifugal mass...... and isolation from said 'mass'. Think about your Harley....why did they go to vibration isolation? Are the light bulbs in your minds starting to illuminate?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”