To Re-light Or Not to Re-light AHS 130 for the Summer

NWBuilder
Stoker Coal Boiler: Ahs 130
Coal Size/Type: Burning Pea anthracite

Post by NWBuilder » Mon. Jul. 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Rob R. wrote:That Logo timer looks pretty complicated to me, and I consider myself computer savy. Hopefully it isn't as bad as it looks.
That is my concern as well. I think that is really why I haven't pulled the trigger. I am not good with a computer at all, just posting those pics was a nightmare. Vermontday offer to set it up but the wiring of it is what really concerns me. Well actually everything about it concerns me :shock:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 24, 2012 4:16 pm

I can't speak to the programming of that wiz-bang Logo timer, but an Intermatic timer like Axeman Anderson and Keystoker supply with their boilers is very simple to install. If you have basic wiring skills it should be a simple job.

vermontday

Post by vermontday » Sat. Jul. 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Rob's advice to fire the boiler more often may be the answer. My boiler has been running great with the a 30 minute outfire time with a 2 minute stoker time. It keeps the chimney warm enough to have a draft. I don't know what settings an AHS boiler should have, but the rest of my settings are 4 teeth, 4 air, 140 low limit, 210 high limit, 10 differential, no foil on baro damper and the domestic water superstore zone wired to not automatically call on the stoker. The stoker only comes on when the boiler low limit is reached.

The advantages with the LOGO are;

It saves fuel and wear and tear on the boiler by resetting to 0 time anytime there is a natural call for heat.
It saves fuel and wear and tear by the ability to set longer outfire times in the winter.
It has a circuit for a dump zone to prevent outfires.
It counts daily outfire and dump calls, allowing you to tune your stoker to enough stoker time to prevent outfires, but not so much that it has to dump.
It has a circuit for controlling a draft inducer if you need it, saving fuel by only running the draft reducer when required and then only bumping it intermittently to keep the fire going.
It alerts you to long term maintenance intervals for chimney and boiler cleaning.
It alerts you if you forget to take the ashes out.
It displays daily stoker run minutes so you can compare with heating degree days to check the system setup or fuel efficiency.

It does all this in the same type of non-volitale memory as the Honeywell new triple aquastats.

I am going to load the program for other people and would be glad to do it for you.

I can provide a wiring diagram.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jul. 28, 2012 12:37 pm

The AHS S130 is much more akin to a hopper equipped hand fired stove than an underfed stoker. It is continuously gravity fed, and it burns 24/7 on its own, and will continue to do so as long as the blower runs for a few scant minutes at least once a day and thereby the ash grate motor is activated on occasion. There are virtually no controls or settings that require any sort of adjustment. Not much need for a computerized control system in my opinion.

vermontday

Post by vermontday » Sat. Jul. 28, 2012 10:29 pm

The EFM's don't have to have a LOGO to run.

However, a LOGO pays for itself in efficiency and gives you more flexibility for abnormal situations.

For a similar price to a timer, you get one that does much more.

NWBuilder

Post by NWBuilder » Fri. Aug. 24, 2012 10:54 am

I thought I would post an update for everyone just so you know that I have taken everyone's advice seriously and still have some of it to act on. I changed my setting to match Isayre's and I have had only one out fire in the last month. I still burn at least 25 pounds a day and sometimes as much as 50lbs. which I have trouble with as the demand does not change significantly from day to day. The out-fire I had occurred on a day when the house was empty for 10 or 12 hours. I have placed a steel rod into the observation hole on a few occasions and it comes out glowing red hot for about 4 to 5 inches so I believe I have a good base most of the time. I have not put a timer on as yet for the blower as the new setting have me operating at a temp of around 200* which is what it coasts to after shutting down at 185. I am concerned that if I have to blower run every 90 minutes I will be setting off my dump zone on a regular basis. I have tried a couple of different coal suppliers and I don't see any real change in operation or ash content. Colder temps are coming so that gives me some time to think on my next move. The AHS likes to run in the colder months and this will be my first full winter with it so I am very curious as to what will happen next. I am very grateful for everyone's thoughtful consideration, it has been much appreciated. I am still hoping that Whistlenut finds himself in my neck of the woods and I can give him the 50 cent tour and get his experienced take on my set up. Again, thanks for all your help, I am sure I will be looking for it again. Ken

NWBuilder

Post by NWBuilder » Wed. Jul. 03, 2013 9:38 am

Well, I finally did it and had a Recycle timer installed on my boiler about a week ago. It is fantastic!!! I cut my consumption down from 50 lbs a day to 50 lbs in 3 days!!! It is awesome. I have it set to fire once an hour for 2 minutes and that is enough at this point to keep her burning nicely. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. As always much appreciated. NWB

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Jul. 03, 2013 9:50 am

I just saw this post and could not agree more! Very efficient in the lower demand season, even the fringe seasons. Watch out for Larry trying to get you to get toooooooo miserly and reduce the coal usage to a cup a day. We have to talk to him!!!! He needs another hobby......like hang gliding with NO WiFi!.....Cliff diving in the Grand Canyon.....a small cell with NO access to to sensational news sites! I know the AHS burns well in the off season, and glad you are enjoying the comfort, economy and reliability. Yes, I am headed your way in 2 weeks. :idea: :shock: :!:

Oh, that is called a repeat timer...just so others don't get confused......

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jul. 03, 2013 5:05 pm

A cup a day, I like the idea! :D

If I ever find that I need a repeat cycle timer I will ask NWBuilder for full details. In fact, I did in a PM.

NWBuilder

Post by NWBuilder » Thu. Jul. 04, 2013 8:25 am

whistlenut wrote:I just saw this post and could not agree more! Very efficient in the lower demand season, even the fringe seasons. Watch out for Larry trying to get you to get toooooooo miserly and reduce the coal usage to a cup a day. We have to talk to him!!!! He needs another hobby......like hang gliding with NO WiFi!.....Cliff diving in the Grand Canyon.....a small cell with NO access to to sensational news sites! I know the AHS burns well in the off season, and glad you are enjoying the comfort, economy and reliability. Yes, I am headed your way in 2 weeks. :idea: :shock: :!:

Oh, that is called a repeat timer...just so others don't get confused......
If you find yourself in NW CT you have to stop by for a cold beer and some BS. Love talking to fellow coal burners!! Especially knowledgeable ones!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”