Buckwheat Vs Rice LL110

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Sun. Mar. 11, 2012 3:49 pm

So it's that time of year. Looking to secure next years coal supply, and mabey more. Is anyone burning buckwheat in their boiler. Does anyone have a comparison vs rice? I'd like to try some buck, but don't want a 10 ton mistake.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Mar. 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Your LL 110 will and is designed to burn both Rice and Buckwheat sized coal. The manual clearly states that, as does Keystoker. you can stock up with buck or rice, and I'd suggest an early purchase this season. The only adjustment would be air, but you know the deal on that front: bigger usually means slightly more, smaller less. That is just a general rule. Buck is usually less per ton....save where you can.... :idea:

plumber

Post by plumber » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 9:46 am

I know I can burn buck, but should I? I wasn't very happy with the 5 tons of Blashak rice I bought. It was all soaked, on average 3 lbs per bag of water as well as all the little pieces of slate. Of the 5 tons I bought, I think I got at most 9,000 lbs after all the water dried up and probably less taking the little rocks into account. Well enough of my rant, I don't know if it was the rice or tha Blashak, but I want to try something else. Hopefully for the better. What can I expect to be different if I change to buck?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 9:52 am

I suggest you do a "trial" with buck before commuting to a large order. Smaller stokers with a shallow fire are more sensitive to coal size. Forum member "steamup" said he had to mix some rice in with the buckwheat to make his Keystoker less prone to outfires.

plumber

Post by plumber » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 10:00 am

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. No one around here sells buck, so I would be locked in to a large order.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Wed. Mar. 14, 2012 9:15 pm

BUck will work fine in your boiler. The only real downside is you will see more overshoot after a high fire cycle. In my situation running in series with the oil boiler that is a non issue, however if you are on the edge of hitting your dump zone you may want to stay with rice. I think really it comes down to personal preference. I like thge fact that buckwheat has much less in the way of fines which equalls a cleaner basement in my case.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”