EFM Help!

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 6:48 am

I am at work so with out looking at the unit I am not sure exactly which panel you may be referring too. The unit sits about 24 inches from the back wall.

Thanks,
Glenn

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 6:50 am

The panel that has the flue pipe collar attached...it needs to be removed in order to properly clean the boiler. 24" is probably enough, but you better stay slim & trim.

grobinson2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 7:01 am

Rob,
Well I sure hope so.... :( GRRR... I can always put a door in the wall be hind the unit with out too much of a problem. Another learning experience I guess.

Thanks,
Glenn

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 4:25 pm

It's OK for the aquastat to be there, but it's not stock.

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Okay good (?). In talking with Rob it sounds that perhaps having it there allows for a faster reaction time by the boiler to changing water temps. This of course would be a good thing in my opinion as well. I can not wait until Friday when I get to work with it again. Also I wanted to ask you guys which do you like better, buckwheat or rice coal in your EFM and why? Also do you switch from a red ash to white for summer burning so you do not get as much heat out of it per pound?

Thanks again,
Glenn

scrapper_23jr
Verified Business Rep.

Post by scrapper_23jr » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 8:45 pm

there was no modification to the coil plate for the aquastat, anyone who knows about the hi-boys know that is the standard mounting plate, no modifications were done to the unit, the threaded well hole is located one and a half inches above the top of the coil plate and with the location of the probe in the aquastat the aquastat will hang down 6 inches from the mounting plate everything is in the original position as it should be SCRAPPER

scrapper_23jr
Verified Business Rep.

Post by scrapper_23jr » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 8:49 pm

24 inches is enough room to get pipi off, just don't pack on 50 pounds and you will be o.k.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 8:57 pm

I figured the aquastat wasn't going through the coil plate, the fitting and probe are on the back of the aquastst near the top.

scrapper_23jr
Verified Business Rep.

Post by scrapper_23jr » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 9:15 pm

stoker-man wrote:It's OK for the aquastat to be there, but it's not stock.
I can guarentee you it is in the stock location SCRAPPER

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 9:25 pm

scrapper_23jr wrote:I can guarentee you it is in the stock location SCRAPPER
I have only see a few Highboys, but they all had the aquastat well right where you said, directly above the coil...like this one:
On my dad's I used that tapping for the low water cutoff (it was 3/4"), and put a 1/2" well for the aquastat in the tapping to the left of the coil. Either one works fine.

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Well guys either way it sounds like it is a good thing. As for the space in the back of the unit, I am putting in an access door that will allow me plenty of room. Now how about my coal question?

Thanks again,
Glenn

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 9:51 pm

In my opinion, having the stoker & controls properly set and a good drafting chimney is more important than the "flavor" of coal. Your EFM will happily burn rice or buck, but since you are new to the game I suggest you burn rice and follow the manual. As long as the coal doesn't have a problem with clinker formation, I wouldn't get cranked up over the ash color.

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 10:15 pm

I figure there is not really a rite or wrong answer here for the coal situation. It was meant for an a survay then an exact answer. I have UAE buckwheat in there now but thought about starting it on Friday with Sherman or Blashak rice. In talking with Steve a couple of weeks ago it is my understanding that the buckwheat may do better if draft could/may be an issue but that rice may work better in the auger and not heat up so fast. I am a little worried about a hot humid summer day drafting well so I thought about using UAE Buck, but then I was thinking that stuff is going to throw off a lot more heat too, which of course I don't need in the summer.

Thanks again,
Glenn

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Mar. 13, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm burning Harmony Rice/Buck mix. Seems to work out well. I have draft issues when we have a cold night followed by a warm day. Proper boiler settings make a big difference.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Wed. Mar. 14, 2012 5:44 am

We all learned something from Scrapper today.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”