Axeman Owners: How Many "Clicks"?

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Wed. Feb. 29, 2012 11:17 pm

I was wondering what others have their ashing arm set to for driving the ash pan gear. How many clicks do you have it set for? Have you experimented with adjustments at all? I had mine set at 2 clicks but recently set it to 3. Hard to really tell with this change in weather.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 12:35 am

3 , occasionally it will only do 2, when it's 64 years old, it's hard sometimes to count, shaft may not be 100% true, and bushings not as tight as a drum. What will become of me once I hit that age :cry: Once you find a happy :D spot with the adjustments, in my case I keep them the same. No outfires this season and real good results (once an hour for one minute on the timer). I will say the uae harmony coal has alot to do with it. Very little ash,better drafting with less ash, and I don't need to clean the flyash from the stove pipe every 6 weeks like I did the first year.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 2:09 am

I keep mine at 2 clicks. It might run a bit longer during extremely cold weather, but it delivers the coal slower so the fire stays higher.

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 9:42 am

Mine is set at 2 clicks. One click under light load would probably be ok. With a heavy load or high ash coal, you may need 3 clicks. Check on how much your ashing solenoid cycles. If it cycles occasionally under load, it is probably ok. If it cycles alot you may be trying to ash too much. If it doesn't cycle, you may be ashing too little. (assuming your anthrastat is calibrated properly).

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 1:53 pm

3-1/2 clicks.. on the pull side of the notched wheel, when the grate is being pulled out from under the fire, and the clinkers are being jammed against the lower lip of the firepot, the linkage rebounds some, resulting in only 3 clicks.. on the push side it's usually 4 clicks.

My solenoid will eventually cycle, if the boiler's run is long enough. but it ashes every time the boiler fires up.

I do tend to get a lot of clinkers, I almost never have an ashpan without 4-6 fist or double-fist sized clinkers. Sometimes a phonebook sized one !! :shock:

I think the clinkers that get caught on the firepot lip, sometimes 'roll' around in the firepot as the grate tries to push them out of the fire.. this 'rolling' I think is one cause of the occassional piece or two of unburnt coal in an otherwise ashpan of nothing but powder and a few large clinkers. I have no way to prove this, but I just can't figure out how a bunch of pieces of perfect, shiney black coal make their way into the ashpan.. and avoid the fire completley..

Greg L.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 5:02 pm

This sums it up perfectly.
steamup wrote:Check on how much your ashing solenoid cycles. If it cycles occasionally under load, it is probably ok. If it cycles alot you may be trying to ash too much. If it doesn't cycle, you may be ashing too little. (assuming your anthrastat is calibrated properly).

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 8:30 pm

3 clicks for me with the current coal I'm burning. Very typical this part of the winter. That is in 260's, 2 clicks most of the time in 130's. Damned...that 'steamup' doesn't miss anything. Jon is a very clever fellow.....nice guy too! I think he needs a Losch to play with next......perhaps a GJ. :idea: :!:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 9:07 pm

1 click... occasionally get 2 clicks in the cycle

burning UAE buckwheat with a light load.

Hold Fire Timer skips running because boiler is sitting above upper high limit alot. Never an out fire though.

Here is a bit of Axeman Trivia for all...It takes 42 clicks to do one complete cycle of rolling grate travel out and back...2 inches each way. ;)
(At least on my 1959 130M it is.)

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Sat. Mar. 03, 2012 11:55 pm

McGiever wrote:1 click... occasionally get 2 clicks in the cycle

Hold Fire Timer skips running because boiler is sitting above upper high limit alot. Never an out fire though.

Here is a bit of Axeman Trivia for all...It takes 42 clicks to do one complete cycle of rolling grate travel out and back...2 inches each way. ;)
Ok, Ok - Too much information - Who in the heck sits there and counts how many "clicks" it takes to travel the grate. I guess curiosity got the cat on that one. :crazy:

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 4:29 pm

steamup wrote:
McGiever wrote:1 click... occasionally get 2 clicks in the cycle

Ok, Ok - Too much information - Who in the heck sits there and counts how many "clicks" it takes to travel the grate. I guess curiosity got the cat on that one. :crazy:
:whistle: Sometimes a guy just has too much time on his hands. :roll:

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Glad you posted that interesting fact McG, I had always wondered about that. :D

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 8:24 pm

McGiever wrote:
steamup wrote: Ok, Ok - Too much information - Who in the heck sits there and counts how many "clicks" it takes to travel the grate. I guess curiosity got the cat on that one. :crazy:
:whistle: Sometimes a guy just has too much time on his hands. :roll:
Actually, I didn't sit there and count all the "clicks" while firing...I was lubricating the cam followers before it was put into service here, and still had the back plate removed and no coal loaded in burn pot...it was pretty simple to manually ratchet quickly and keep count while starting and finishing at one end of the grate's travel. :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”