Noise Level of Coal Boiler Versus an Oil Boiler

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 8:10 am

tony17112acst wrote:
BTW, are there clearance requirements on on coal boilers against cinder block walls in the basement? Every owner's manual I read just lists clearance to combustibles. Thank you.
Any info on this? Thanks again! -Tony
Clearance required in residential settings is for service. While there may be no code required minimum, I would allow 24 inches minimum to get behind/around the boiler if you have the room. Ash pan removal is the key space requirement. This you would probably want 36 or more inches. Keystoker makes there boilers with the ash door on the right or left hand side as ordered to accomodate different installations. The AA and AHS has doors on both sides.

Also, check on building permit requirements. You can ask your building code enforcement officer if you have to involve him.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 8:36 am

tony17112acst wrote:simply because you'd NEVER hear the stoker teeth sounds like I did on the video,

The EFM's have a ratacheting action different than most stokers so the stoker mechanism itself is a little louder. The others use pulleys, gears and belts. It's probably more like a really loud ratchet. Here's a few other videos to give you an idea. Tjhe second one will show you great idea for storing coal if you have the room.

Keep in mind this is all enclosed as described above.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 9:34 am

Richard S. wrote:The EFM's have a ratacheting action different than most stokers so the stoker mechanism itself is a little louder. The others use pulleys, gears and belts. It's probably more like a really loud ratchet. Here's a few other videos to give you an idea.
I don't think the stoker in the first video has any oil in the pan under the drive gear...that makes the ratchet sound seem more high pitched than it really is. Regardless, EFM's have their own sound...it is rhythmical and reminds you of how much money you are saving. Keystokers, Van Werts, and Gentleman Janitors are VERY quiet.

PRengert
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by PRengert » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 10:16 am

I went from an oil boiler to a Keystoker K6 and it is a *lot* quieter. Sometimes you can hear the secondary blower too but that could probably be muffled if you found it annoying.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”