Can't Decide ... AHS Coal Gun or Harmon VF3000 Please Help!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 8:26 am

freetown fred wrote:I read WN's posts & didn't see anything negative about AHS. Maybe I missed something??
Same here...no pissing observed. Oh well, like Ben said life goes on.

As for Brent, please let us know how you make out at the Van Wert Shop.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 8:32 am

I woke the Gentle Ben! The Wheaties are OK, although I prefer milk only on mine. Ben, here is the deal: 26 pages of posts on 'backfires' on the COAL FORUM.....I know you are a bright guy, and AHS is an stand-up company, AND you know I have 4 130's, and 2 260's. I had a gassification boiler before the coal boiler. Up here there are dozens of gasser boilers, many more 130's and 260's, even an occasional 500K. Your waste oil boilers are the best built on the market.........and I'm the first to relay info on your products. My folks that have them love them......kinda like a new pet that becomes family.
The deal is, without any blame intended, PLEASE help solve the backfire mystery for those folks. It works for all coal products....be the voice of reason.....don't let this be a mystery. AA's pop, all handfed's can.......You are a respected voice, feel free to use it!!!!

We all know what situation causes it and operator inexperience is a big part of it, but when the baro rips off the 'T', the lady of the house asks lots of questions.
Step up, be available and offer answers. I laugh at folks who are afraid it will happen to them....after 44 years (back to handfed days) I have had it happen to hand and stoker rigs.

Everyone who has a handfed must have been lying if they said it never happens.....Unlike Harmon, you guys are accessible, polite and ready to move forward, and WILL provide answers. Brian is always available, as is Pete Axeman if you need him, Tom at Keystoker, Matt and Dave at LL,Arnie, Grumpy Joe, Coalberner Jay, Steve, Dave O, Mike, Greg. We are all in this together, and like it or not we will continue along, albeit the road gets bumpy once in a while.
You have thousands of customers and many more newbees waiting.......I'd absolutely love to have a shop/business like consumer reports that did heating equipment......NG, Propane, Oil, Coal, Wood, Pellets, Bio-MaSS. NOT ENOUGH TIME, BUT ........
as you might guess, lobbyists don't go to the front of any line that leads to me, nor do regulators. You could dump 25 tons of 'Common Sense Concentrate' on those idiots and not ONE Fubbing OUNCE could penetrate that SIT DOWN TO PEE GROUP. Dumber than a pound of rocks!!! ...and not black rocks either!

The coal forum has been a lifesaver for new folks and wonderful for old time/long time users........except for the political side........
I know you are busy, but this advertizing is priceless. Thousands have access to it........so expect a phone call today. I like to solve problems, not create them. We ARE on the same side! As oil prices rise, I hope you can ramp up production too. The wait is just starting to ramp up........Doug :idea:

Back to the topic.....Look around , your first choice is excellent, check the price on your second and you will start to open other doors. Dean started a wonderful company.....ask what happened to him. He still is a great person.....no thanks to corporate America.

Brentski
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6

Post by Brentski » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 9:03 am

Rob R. wrote:
freetown fred wrote:I read WN's posts & didn't see anything negative about AHS. Maybe I missed something??
Same here...no *censored* observed. Oh well, like Ben said life goes on.

As for Brent, please let us know how you make out at the Van Wert Shop.
Will do Thanx Rob!

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 10:54 am

whistlenut wrote:Everyone who has a handfed must have been lying if they said it never happens.....
Over the years I had a few hand-fed boilers and stoves, but I don't think I ever had a puff-back. I'll credit my aunt - who may have been the last residential coal burner in Boston (converted in 1972, just in time for the 1973 oil embargo :bang: ) - for her stories of big booms and guidance on how to refresh a hand-fed.

On the rest of it, I'll give Doug a x2. I didn't have a big concern with booms when I tried my first stoker, but after hearing the experiences of others I have stuck with the flat grate and underfeed stoker designs. I haven't had any bad personal experiences with the AA/AHS design, but I'd agree fully with Doug that the perception of a potential boom problem keeps some customers away.

Mike

stoker_RI

Post by stoker_RI » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 9:46 pm

So what was the outcome? Did u decide???

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”