1948 Axeman 130

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Feb. 12, 2008 10:11 pm

coal berner wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emwHCuZ0thk . My first time posting on youtube . Not sure how this will work . Dave
Looks Great Dave Nice Job anybody buy it yet
Thanks .Yes ,its sold . Just waiting till the weekend to deliver it . Dave

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 9:04 am

Looks great Dave, especially like the boiler on wheels concept. :lol:

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Matthaus wrote:Looks great Dave, especially like the boiler on wheels concept. :lol:
Makes it easier to clean underneith :D .

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 7:12 pm

WOW, that's a sweet looking boiler!

So, I saw 2 AA130's in that pic right? You sold one and the other is going inside the house?

I'm assuming you're gonna fix up "your" AA130 the same way?

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 9:17 pm

beatle78 wrote:WOW, that's a sweet looking boiler!

So, I saw 2 AA130's in that pic right? You sold one and the other is going inside the house?

I'm assuming you're gonna fix up "your" AA130 the same way?
Yea ,soon as I get my basement cleaned up I wil start tearing it apart then the sandblasting begins again . Hopefully it wont take as long . I have a lot of hrs into the other one . Now I have a real good understanding how everything adjusts and moves on the drivetrain .Plus being that I wasn't keeping it ,I wanted to make sure everything was perfect . I really think the Keystoker coil is a huge improvement ,because of the dry bolts . I see the new AAs are a dry bolt system design now,but with the AA coil . Everything was dissasembled and cleaned on the 1948 . The gearbox for the auger must have been just installed before taking the boiler out of service ,it was like new inside . Unbelievable how well these things hold up even after 60yrs old . Dave

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 9:49 pm

how old is your "new" AA130?

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 9:52 pm

beatle78 wrote:how old is your "new" AA130?

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 8:37 am

Take lots of BEFORE and AFTER pics. I love these restoration projects.

matthaus,

You should so the same. You rehab enough stoves. You should share some BEFORe and AFTER pics with the rest of the class :D

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 8:35 pm

beatle78 wrote:You should so the same. You rehab enough stoves. You should share some BEFORe and AFTER pics with the rest of the class :D
yeah I know Jeremy, seems I always have intentions but never the time to stop what I'm doing to take pics. The one I will do is a thread on Triburner tricks and refurb tips including a before and after on an Alaska hearth unit. Soon if I get time. :oops: :roll: :lol:

L-Bow

Post by L-Bow » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi guys!
I am very seriously considering ,based on this forum's love affair with the AA 130, taking my KEYSTOKER 70k, offline and converting to the AA. Before I regret at leisure, I would appreciate some input. My 70k is in the well insulated basement, which stays 72-75 *, and because I did not insulate the basement ceiling, I have nice warm floors in the rooms above. Will the AA130 give off roughly the same amount of radiant BTU's as the 70k , without being too hot or not hot enough? Can the AA "idle" in warmer weather like the 7ok does so well? Is there or can I add a convection fan to tie into the ductwork I installed? Does the 130 signify the boiler will put out roughly twice the heat at hi fire as the 70k? Is the AA130 more or less stingy as to coal consumption?
Thanks in advance for your helpful input.
Larry Bowen

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Hello Larry, the amount of radiant heat from an AA 130 will be a lot less than from your Keystoker stove. The water temp setting in a boiler will be the maximum temperature of the outer surfaces of the boiler, usually about 180*, often lower. The AA 130 is not a large boiler either. So the amount of surface area is fairly small, and only the upper half of the unit is the boiler, the base will be much cooler.

So an AA 130 in your basement will not keep your basement anywhere near as warm as your current stove does..

An AA130 boiler can idle on only about 12-15# per day. It will have a firepot full of burning coal, but the combustion fan will run only enough to keep the watertemp at the target setting. The amount of coal burnt will depend on the BTU load on the boiler.

I have a question, why if your keystoker is keeping the basement warm, and the floors above warm, do you want to change to a boiler instead of staying with the current stoker stove?? Is part of the house not warm enough?

What type of heat system does the house currently have??? There are lots of ways to warm the floor of the first floor, through the unfinished ceiling of the basement. This may be the only way to keep your floors warm.

Greg L.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Feb. 15, 2008 4:52 am

Larry Bowen wrote:Hi guys!
I am very seriously considering ,based on this forum's love affair with the AA 130, taking my KEYSTOKER 70k, offline and converting to the AA. Before I regret at leisure, I would appreciate some input. My 70k is in the well insulated basement, which stays 72-75 *, and because I did not insulate the basement ceiling, I have nice warm floors in the rooms above. Will the AA130 give off roughly the same amount of radiant BTU's as the 70k , without being too hot or not hot enough? Can the AA "idle" in warmer weather like the 7ok does so well? Is there or can I add a convection fan to tie into the ductwork I installed? Does the 130 signify the boiler will put out roughly twice the heat at hi fire as the 70k? Is the AA130 more or less stingy as to coal consumption?
Thanks in advance for your helpful input.
Larry Bowen
You could install radiant hot water floor heat or add baseboard heat to the house . The ceiling is not insulated in the basement that makes it much easier to do . But as Greg said these do not work well as a stand alone heater not enough hot surface area at 180 degrees . So it has to be piped ,you will get a very even heat with the floor heat . Dave

L-Bow

Post by L-Bow » Fri. Feb. 15, 2008 7:34 pm

My reason for interest in a boiler is based not on how warm the house is but how dry. I do have baseboard electric hydronic units throughout the house, which very rarely come on. We do tend to use an unvented propane fireplace(got a propane delivery yesterday 89gals, @ $2.39/ for 4 months.) I just hooked up the 70k in Oct., added a 1st class ductwork system,if I may say so myself ,which keeps the house heat fairly even, but even with 3 humidifiers running 24/7 the humidistats indicate 30-40% humidity, which isn't good on furniture, guns, and guitars, all of which I value. The main part of the house is a 100 +/- year old log cabin, with contemparary additions 2800 sq ft. The house is remarkably comfortable but here is the stupid question: where does all this water go??Up the chimney?? No water on windows, insulation in walls is dry. Back to the thread, would the house be as warm with baseboard hot water(can't do floor radiant, hardwood floors) I could always have a zone for the basement to keep my warm floors. Would the AA130 with baseboard hw have enough BTU's to do the job my hot air does minus the dry heat problem? I do, because of a previous project have 3/4 copper run to most of house for baseboard HW, and I don't have a domestic coil for the 70k, and I'm determined to get off the electric grid for domestic hot water. Two more points for the AA.
Larry

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Fri. Feb. 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Larry
One of my local hvac guys claim this unit is one of the best independent humidifiers on the market.
We will be installing one in the near future, I like the idea that it is not conected to the hvac system.
Running full time if needed.
http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?znfAction=Prod ... 5&item=350

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Feb. 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Larry, neither the Keystoker or the AA130 will add any humidity to the house.. the problem in the winter is that when the cold air in winter is heated, it needs to have a lot of moisture added to the heated air to keep the % humidity in the comfort zone... and neither the keystoker or an AA boiler will add humidity to the air.

With either heat system you need to add a full time humidifier in your house. The above post has a link to a good humidifier.

An AA boiler is a very good unit, I would recommend it for a hot water baseboard or hydronic floor heat system . by the way you can use hot water hydronic floor heat with wood floors..

Hope this helps...
Greg L.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”