Finally Up and Running With S-260

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 5:36 am

Puff-backs can happen when a boiler is fired up with a chamber entirely full of fresh coal...hence AA's recommendation of filling the combustion tube about half full with ashes prior to adding coal. I realize a lot of people don't have ashes on hand when a new boiler is installed, but if you do...it is wise to follow the directions.

Matt, was that stovepipe the ultra-light gauge stuff? Might be worth using some quality black stovepipe and non-adjustable elbows if you can get away with it.

macdabs
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Pellet,oil

Post by macdabs » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 5:48 am

Rob R. wrote:Puff-backs can happen when a boiler is fired up with a chamber entirely full of fresh coal...hence AA's recommendation of filling the combustion tube about half full with ashes prior to adding coal. I realize a lot of people don't have ashes on hand when a new boiler is installed, but if you do...it is wise to follow the directions.

Matt, was that stovepipe the ultra-light gauge stuff? Might be worth using some quality black stovepipe and non-adjustable elbows if you can get away with it.
I did not see anything in the AHS manual anout filling the hopper with ashes prior to startup? At pickup the factory last week they said fill up the hopper start the fire in the sight door then turn the grate on three hours later...That simple even a cave man can do it.

Mac

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 6:14 am

I don't know if the AHS manual says anything about ashes or not, I was referring to the Axeman Anderson Anthratube manual. The boilers are very similar in the design, and their advice of adding ashes prior to the coal is intended to help prevent coal gas "explosions". They also say that if fresh coal is added to the combustion tube too quickly, puff-backs can result.

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 8:40 am

If you don't have ashes first and your ashing goes off youll be dumping fresh coal and fresh coal will continue to dump on top and smother your new fire then kaboom. So if youre going to fill and light from view port keep the ashing off but remember to turn it back on or risk hooper fire. Also if you light from the view port make sure to mix in the fire to the bottom and put a good load on the boiler to get a deep fire going.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 9:22 am

That stinks!!! The puff-back and aftermath that is... Congrats on the new boiler up and running though...

Forget about the flimsy light gauge stove pipe, go with a 22 gauge fully welded seam pipe and elbows, tees, etc... Make sure the elbows are of the " fixed " variety and fully welded as well... I've been known to even bolt together sections as opposed to just the self tappers, just provide yourself with the means for flash clean out without the need to remove or disassemble the pipe run and bolting is the way to be, looks great too!!!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 10:55 pm

The continuation of this discussion can be found here:
Far So Good After Tweaks to AHS S260
Thanks!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”