How Do You Categorize the AHS Coal Gun? Stoker/Hopper Fed?

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Since the various AHS Coal Gun boilers have no stoker mechanism, and instead they merely feed the coal by gravity from a hopper that sits above the fire, would they more properly be classified as hopper fed boilers as opposed to stoker boilers? Or does the motorized ash grate serve as a stoker?
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 5:43 pm

It stokes by shaving the ash off the bottom of the fire.
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

lsayre

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 7:02 pm

It seems to be somewhat of a hybrid. Essentially a hand fed (via hopper) with a motorized grate shaker. This has me wondering if anyone has ever retro-motorized their hopper equipped hand fed stove?
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:09 am

Lsayre,
I have been wondering if it would/could be possible to turn my AHS-WOC55,225k BTU multi-fuel into a stoker or hopper feed boiler. It won't be for a while unless money starts falling from the sky. I've been looking at removing the feed door and making a new door and installing the stoker/hopper mechichism thru and into the firebox,then building a hopper to feed the stoker. I will have to look into how the coal gun actually feeds the fire into the firebox.Most likely have to build something from the A-260 coal gun, I would like to keep every part from ASH if possible. Dennis

ValterBorges
Stove/Furnace Make: AHS
Stove/Furnace Model: S260

Post Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:13 am

Dennis wrote:Lsayre,
I have been wondering if it would/could be possible to turn my AHS-WOC55,225k BTU multi-fuel into a stoker or hopper feed boiler. It won't be for a while unless money starts falling from the sky. I've been looking at removing the feed door and making a new door and installing the stoker/hopper mechichism thru and into the firebox,then building a hopper to feed the stoker. I will have to look into how the coal gun actually feeds the fire into the firebox.Most likely have to build something from the A-260 coal gun, I would like to keep every part from ASH if possible. Dennis

Last edited by ValterBorges on Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valter

S260 w/ Indirect 80 Gal Elec. Tank, Propane Backup - Heating 5,700 sqft + pool.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:19 am

Dennis wrote:Lsayre,
I have been wondering if it would/could be possible to turn my AHS-WOC55,225k BTU multi-fuel into a stoker or hopper feed boiler.
This used to be very common...hence the "Electric Furnace Man" and their lineup of conversion stokers. You would remove the grates and insert the stoker in through the ash door. Coal augered in, ash augered out...
Personally I think it would be a lot more cost effective option to sell your current boiler to someone who wanted to burn wood/bit coal and install a factory-build stoker boiler.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Dennis

Post Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:28 am

ash door is 13"wide x 6"high and 1 1/2" off floor, feed door is 14" x14" and 30" off floor. Don't know if it will fit in the ash door, I will have to look into that,very simple though. Been thinking of a new boiler also. Dennis

lsayre

Post Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:31 am

It seems to me that a call to AHS would be the best starting place for your conversion inquiry. Ask for Darren Bricker or Shawn Mowen.

Might I ask why you are thinking along these lines?
-Larry

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:34 am

AHS will tell you to buy a Coal Gun. The "stoker mechanism" is the reciprocating grate, but the time you got done modifying your existing boiler you would have something VOID of all warranty and approvals, and probably have invested more than a good used Coal Gun.

Dennis

Post Sun. Dec. 18, 2011 11:42 am

Rob,
you are more than right,I would hate to cut up my 2 year old boiler that i'am really happy with.I have the oil gun if I ever need to go away for a day or more, although I need to get oil in the tank,and at $3.50 gal. that won't happen soon. Dennis

Edit: Lsayre-just wanted, if needed to go away for more than a day

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”