Shutting the Boiler Down

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 4:04 pm

I hadn't given this too much thought, but I have to re-plumb part of the system and need to shut the boiler down.

Is there a procedure for safely doing this, or does one just pull the coal pile into the ash pan and snuf it out?

jim d
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska//coaljck
Stove/Furnace Model: liberty// cj3

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 4:20 pm

thats about it

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Just shut off the electricity. I'll die on it's own in about 5 minutes.
Coal -- It's not a hobby, It's an addiction.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Is this for the air at the top of the boiler? If so do you have valves to isolate the boiler?
Ernie

Feet and knees together

kstills

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 6:55 pm

tsb wrote:Just shut off the electricity. I'll die on it's own in about 5 minutes.
Great,, thanks. :)

kstills

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 7:01 pm

plumber wrote:Is this for the air at the top of the boiler? If so do you have valves to isolate the boiler?
Well, speaking with Matt today, I'm going to move the 6006A over to the supply side of the boiler. That should solve the problem of the high delta between the high and low limit, and also remove the expansion tank line from doing whatever it's doing during the DZ cycle.

It won't be a big deal to plumb, I just have to add a tee and screw in the aquastat, but I have to dump the entire system one last time. Truth be told I have a very very very minor leak at the union off the boiler, so I'll fix that at the same time.

I'm going to run it until Saturday, then make the switch. I'm going to have to re-set my rheostats again, so I'll need a few hours to make sure everything is running right.

Love this boiler though, house is toasty warm (ok, it's not that cold yet, but the DZ cycle is keeping the house at 70F by itself) and it's so much quieter than my old oil fired boiler.

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

plumber

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 7:07 pm

That's a good plan. If you're going to dump the whole system, I think you'd be better off just killing the power and dumping the coal into the ash pan. Just make sure you put the starter ring on the grate so you don't empty your hopper. Matt is always full of great ideas and willing to help, I feel bad when I have to call him. They really do put out an outstanding product. I guess he can add us to his growing list of happy customers.
Ernie

Feet and knees together

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 7:11 pm

kstills wrote:...and it's so much quieter than my old oil fired boiler.
For those considering making "the switch" to a stoker boiler, the noise of operation is not to be overlooked. My EFM is almost undetectable from the room above it. With a tv on, or any amount of background noise, you can't hear it at all. It is so much quieter than my oil boiler, I think my wife would have ok'd the install even if the savings was considerably less. AA boilers aren't as quiet, but I don't think they are obnoxious either...a little pipe insulation on the auger tube (and buck size coal) also goes a long way to quiet them down.

Back to the topic at hand, I agree that mounting your aquastat in the supply riser is a good choice. If there is a bypass between the supply and return, the "tee" should be installed before the bypass.

plumber

Post Mon. Oct. 24, 2011 7:35 pm

tsb wrote:Just shut off the electricity. I'll die on it's own in about 5 minutes.
I'm not sure I'd go this route dumping the whole system, he wants the boiler cold so there is no thermal shock.
5 minutes isn't enough time for this boiler, I run my timer off for 15.
Ernie

Feet and knees together

kstills

Post Wed. Oct. 26, 2011 8:28 am

plumber wrote:
I'm not sure I'd go this route dumping the whole system, he wants the boiler cold so there is no thermal shock.
5 minutes isn't enough time for this boiler, I run my timer off for 15.
I pulled the coal off the grate, then tripped the high limit to run the circulator. That took the temp of the boiler under 100f.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”