Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks Rob.

We'll try that.

Rick

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Hey Rick! You want to make sure the motor is turning the right direction also. Some of the motors are reverseable. I would check the fines cleanout plate also. :)

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Well gang time for an update.

I spent the afternoon speaking with Scott A Martin Services, an EFM Dealer. http://www.scottamartinservicesinc.com/
Boy does this guy know his stuff. Stoker Man, you have a real good dealer there. He answered my questions and offered suggestions. So much information was provided by this dealer. In fact he remembered installing this unit for the original owners of the property. He gave a history lesson on their entire install and the servicing work he had performed for them before the husband died. He lost track of the property after that but remembered after we called.

The problems we encountered started with the owner of the property contracting http://www.fluidplumbing.net/
These guys knew nothing about coal fired appliances but were hired to clean and service the unit. They blew off 2 appointments with my nephew over the weekend but then all of a sudden were available to service the unit on Monday while he was at work. This way they could be in and out without anyone questioning what they were doing. In fact we believe that they had called Scott Marttin looking for info on what they should be doing.......

Now to tonight's work. After talking to Scott Martin, we proceeded to reset all of the controls for the heater. Most had been reset to incorrect settings. Even the outfire aquastat was set to 200* No wonder we had to keep the outfire overide switch on the entire time.

Upon removing the ash pan and looking up, we discovered that the cleanout rod was broken and the cleanout grate was stuck in the open position. No wonder we weren't getting the air up through the coal even after setting it to 8+. I knew there wasn't enough air but didn't know why. After hammering on the grate we finally got it closed. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Now this baby was throwing some serious heat !!!!!

So now the big dilemna is whether the original plumber, http://www.fluidplumbing.net/ will be able to clean and repair this heater as they were paid to do or whenther we can get Scott Martin http://www.scottamartinservicesinc.com/ to come in and do the job of servicing this heater as we know he can.

Tomorrow will be interesting.................

Thanks for all the help.

Rick

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 5:35 am

Rob R. wrote: Also, make sure the cleanout door is closing tightly.
Scottscoaled wrote:I would check the fines cleanout plate also. :)
Rick 386 wrote:Upon removing the ash pan and looking up, we discovered that the cleanout rod was broken and the cleanout grate was stuck in the open position. No wonder we weren't getting the air up through the coal even after setting it to 8+. I knew there wasn't enough air but didn't know why. After hammering on the grate we finally got it closed. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Now this baby was throwing some serious heat !!!!!
:dancing:

I would try and get your money back from the oil burner crew and have your "EFM Pro" take a look at it. The stoker is very simple in operation, but there are specific things to look for.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 6:08 am

It is like getting an animal friend from the SPCA: It might not have been treated well in the past but show it some love, and you KNOW you will have a friend for life. Rich, you want to get some penetrating oil on all movable parts and, yes, you might have to remove the stoker to get to the bottom of the issue, but clean it up carefully and get the new parts and you will be off to the races. PS: I don't care what all the EFM lovers tell you, you can lose some skin working on these beasts also. Every stoker is a great thing, some are better than others.....like an EFM. Fine machinery, built like a Tank....but as you know, an AA or an AHS or a Keystoker or LL or GJ or Van Wert or Yellow Flame, etc will all keep the wife, kids and pets very comfortable.....all winter long! (did I forget the garage/workshop, too?!)

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 9:11 am

rick,

Scott is a great plumber/heating guy,along with his brother. I belive his father and uncle were/are heating contractors,so he learned well. I never knew he was a dealer,i only thought he done service work.I know he been doing it for almost all his life.
My brothers and I hunted with him and his brother. I would definitly have him do the servicing of your equiptment,he is very honest and trustworthy. Dennis

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Dennis,

Scott told me that he and his dad had installed the boiler originally. The service tags are still hanging on it with his signature. He really was helpful on the phone. In fact I must have spent 1/2 hour or more talking to him and we had not even made an appointment for him servicing it.

Doug,

This boiler is more like going to the hospital and picking up an abused friend who just had the crap beat out of them. But I know she will return better and prettier than before. I did have to whack her with the hammer to shut her up and bring her back to reality. Now that her pie hole is shut she is listening and sees that we only have her best interests at heart. Yeah we'll spend some money on her but she will appreciate it all that much more knowing that someone really wants her to excel. (And no I am not an abuser) She may even get that waxxing she keeps begging for..........

Bottom line, the owner has authorized my nephew to get Scott in to check and repair her. So now I can add "worked on an EFM Boiler to my resume'

Rick

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”