Replacing Auger Tube

rocketjeremy
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF-520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo 1CWC
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by rocketjeremy » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 9:33 am

So I did a full burner plate replacement the other weekend and they are look good and burning good!! However, right after I started to snap more shear pins then I'd care to and is healthy. At stokerman's suggestion (this guy is seriously the man!) I took a look at where my auger pipes come together under the coupler. Well ders you're problem! :x

**Broken Image Link(s) Removed**

Any suggestions as to what is the best way to go about it? Am I correct in stating that it is just 2" pipe? It looks to me like it was just a steel black pipe or something they used for it originally. I'm sure something like stainless steel would be nice...I think I saw posts about that before on here. Problem is this baby is my only source for domestic hot so I kind of want to get it up and running again tonight. Hell they also want a low of 37 this weekend here too which is getting chilly with an infant in the house.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 10:03 am

2" steel pipe will get you back in business. Stainless is a better choice if you can find some locally.

rocketjeremy
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF-520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo 1CWC
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by rocketjeremy » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for the advice!! How does the stoker side of the pipe look? It's not perfect but not really as rusted as the other side obviously is. Should I leave that pipe as is? Hit it with some paint before I put it back together? Take the grinder to it and try and true up the end a bit and then paint? I'm gonna take a look for stainless locally if not maybe put that on my spring project list for when I shut it down for a good cleaning. I might put steel in now to get me back in hot water and then get stainless and do a replacement during spring cleaning to nice shiny stainless.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 3:26 pm

The aluminum pipe doesn't look so bad. Get Schedule 40 steel or SS. In a pinch, use any 2". I even knew a guy who used PVC Sch. 40 for years. Bin pipe only.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”