This Stoker Is Just Sooo Bad!!!

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Sep. 25, 2011 8:58 pm

This 1965 EFM 700 is just so badass. I painted it my favorite colors. GM blue and silver/stainless. It reminds me of an engine that I rebuilt in my living room then stuffed into a 1978 Chevy K20 four wheel drive truck. That truck was truly bad :D And like that heavy Chevy, this 700 has plenty of power to spare ;) The plan is to hook it up to the new chimney in the garage so she breath's right and then make sure she has room to go. The heat load will include the house , the swimming pool, the tenant house next door , a 30 x 80 green house out back and a refurished Modine to heat the 35 x 35 garage. I have a 7 ton bin next to it that was feeding the old 520 but it takes up too much space. So like the 520, it is going out. Ihave an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank that will make a sweet bin that holds about a ton. "What happened to the beautiful 520" you ask. A young man came by to see the 520 and liked what he saw so the offer was just too hard to refuse ;) This new girl will replace the old pretty smoothly. Quite a bit heavier on top and doesn't need the covers on. Also doesn't need all the daily attention. Yeah, the stoker hasn't been restored, but I need something to do next year and winter is coming :)
014.jpg
.JPG | 116.5KB | 014.jpg
015.jpg
.JPG | 62.4KB | 015.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 25, 2011 9:24 pm

I like the color scheme, nice job on the cosmetics. First 700 I have seen with that style viewing door. Is that a factory setup or a custom door that you put on?

I wouldn't rebuild the stoker either if it is operational and reasonably tight. Who knows...it might run 10 years without needing more than regular maintenance. My 520 still has the original burner plates installed; I have new ones on the shelf but I'm getting my money out of the originals first. :D

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Sep. 25, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks Rob! The door was a factory option I think. There was a choice between round or square on the plate that bolts in. I have another that has the round door with the same plate. Do you see the rebuilt 700 stoker just behind the one that's being put to use? :D

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Sep. 26, 2011 6:09 am

She's a beauty!

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Oct. 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Jeese! I went to the Depot to get the copper fitting to plump my new beast in and dropped 5 bills :shock: Seemed like every fitting was 10 bucks and every valve was 16. The guy says nobody buys copper anymore, everyone uses pex. So I look at pex, and every fitting cost 10 bucks :x Wish I would have done this last year. Oh well,,,,,,

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Oct. 22, 2011 4:11 pm

stokerscot wrote:The guy says nobody buys copper anymore
Yeah, the days are gone when one could afford to buy an assortment of fittings and tubing just to have them on hand.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sat. Oct. 22, 2011 8:22 pm

I looked at the 700 that scrapper had for sale. What a beast! If I had a pool to heat, I might have gotten it. I'm glad I got the Highboy for the house, shop, and future garage.

I checked the cost of al-pex against type L copper. Not much diffrence. I think I'll go with copper.

Nice paint scheme. :up:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Oct. 22, 2011 8:33 pm

She's a real beauty!

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Oct. 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Scotty, I thought you had to have the 'jackets' to make it pretty, but it looks like a 'street rod'. Very nice...enjoy! All these years with Axemans....and they are a 'Bad Assed Rat-Rod', certainly not pretty, but 'bad to the bone' anyway. I have a rebuilt 260 just fired up.....and as anyone who has one knows, it sure isn't short on performance. You might go for more MEAT and get into a 900 or 1300 some time. I think I know where one could be located.

I drove by Malta last Fri evening on my way to coal country.....so I do know where you hide out, now. I saw the heat signature over on your side of town along with that mountain of coal. Are you gonna fire up a Coal power plant there too?

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Oct. 23, 2011 8:31 am

Dougie!!!! Where have you been????? Last I heard you were on a nude beach over at the Hamptons. The one with the rainbow sign out front. I hear they call you "Long Dong Silver" :lol: :lol: I'm surprised you would think that there aren't a set of pretty covers for this. Of course there are. With matching stoker cover. There's also room in the boiler house for a couple more 700's in parallel. Gotta keep the horses under contrtol if you know what I mean :) '

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Oct. 23, 2011 6:34 pm

A guy who travels through Bellow Falls and still talks about it is surely on my "do not let the kids run loose in his neighborhood' list. I assumed you probably had the covers being painted and clearcoated; but like Ron White says: Once you]ve seen one naked, you want to see them all naked......but you live that motto, don't you???????
I wished I had time to be in the Hampton's, but fortunately I have been very busy......and their is no 'Rainbow Banner' hanging in my back window. I did apologize on behalf of the Coal Forum for your presence in PA on the ruse of getting some Black Gold to keep the family warm. Hoffa has been gone a long time.....just thinkin' out loud....
Nice looking rebuild.....but when you grow up, you can get a bunch of 900's or 1300's and feel the power of a million BTU's under your control...better than a weekend in the Bellows Falls/Windsor corridor. :eek2: :box: :flush: :angel: :funny:

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Tue. Nov. 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Awesome looking 700!!! Nice job.

ahuntley
Stoker Coal Boiler: a b van wert
Coal Size/Type: buckweat or rice

Post by ahuntley » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi scot

Guess what finaly happened in cincinnatus this wEek? Jhon rice finjaly staRted his 520, and it run most of time ,with the help of half of the people in town. If it wernt for a lot of vanwert parts ,it runs real smouth now .Your stoker looks REALLY SMOOTH!

arnie vanwertboilers

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 6:43 pm

ahuntley wrote:Hi scot

Guess what finaly happened in cincinnatus this wEek? Jhon rice finjaly staRted his 520, and it run most of time ,with the help of half of the people in town. If it wernt for a lot of vanwert parts ,it runs real smouth now .Your stoker looks REALLY SMOOTH!

arnie vanwertboilers
:lol: :lol:

I think he may have gotten some support via email as well? I also heard some grouchy guy came to town and fixed the Wilburt timer. :D

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 7:20 pm

That is too funny Arnie!!!!! How long has John had that bad boy? Nobody else would have a mint condition 520DF and leave it sitting in the basement collecting dust. So the big question is " what whole bunch of Van wert parts " went into that bad boy and who was the grouchy fella????? :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”