EFM Boiler Cold Water in Shower

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Wed. Jan. 30, 2008 10:18 am

Hey Guys! Lot's of good info here & I'm learning alot. How would you implement a water coil into the type of furnace I have? Does the coil(s) have to go inside the plenium, or can I place it on the outside? If inside, is 1/2" stainless the way to go? Does stainless even come in a coil? I've only seen it sold in 10' lengths..........

oilman

Post by oilman » Wed. Jan. 30, 2008 8:08 pm

Cyber36, see http://www.hilkoil.com

As far as tempering valves go, unless you have the more expensive Honeywell-Sparco or Taco, you will need a throttling valve to control the cold supply to the tempering valve.(read watts 70A) You will get too cool of a water supply elsewise. The 520 EFM has very good hot water production if set-up properly. This includes coil/valve piping and boiler or system by-pass if a high water content system is connected.(read C.I radiators or radiant slab)
A coil booster tank is a good thing, but I'm not too crazy about hearing them hooked up without a bronze/stainless steel pump in-line.

Highlander
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000 Sold
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Highlander » Sat. Feb. 02, 2008 7:35 pm

I have to agree with the Oilman, the cheaper Watts thromostatic mixers don't work very well. I'm on my second Sparcomatic/ Honeywell valve, and they work very well at maintaining the water temperature. The first one lasted for 10 years, the second one seems to be better built and has been working flawlessly since I installed the coal boiler.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Feb. 02, 2008 8:44 pm

Highlander wrote:I have to agree with the Oilman, the cheaper Watts thromostatic mixers don't work very well. I'm on my second Sparcomatic/ Honeywell valve, and they work very well at maintaining the water temperature. The first one lasted for 10 years, the second one seems to be better built and has been working flawlessly since I installed the coal boiler.
I will vouch for the better tempering valves as well . I couldn't control my water temps at all with the watts valves . Now it stays too the degree consistently with the honeywell valve .They can be found on Ebay for $30-$50 .Dave

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Feb. 04, 2008 11:33 pm

I installed a Watts $15 special and the water was always too cold no matter what so I bypassed it. Everyone in the house knows to be careful the hot water is 150 degree or so, really hot. We make hot cocoa from the sink.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”