New (to Me) Axeman 260

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 12:53 am

Earlier I said it was hard to convey how it feels in my home now with the radiators all heated up. I was just heading downstairs to visit the Axeman when I came across this sight.

Usually the hound is curled up like a ball trying to hold in any heat he can get. Now look at him!!! On a 12 degree night no less!!! Love it.

Attachments

IMG_5007.JPG
.JPG | 138.2KB | IMG_5007.JPG

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 3:09 am

Some more pics of firing it up.

Attachments

IMG_5002.JPG
.JPG | 157.6KB | IMG_5002.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG

Some refreshments.

.JPG | 164.6KB | IMG_4994.JPG

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 3:13 am

For a gauge that's over 100 years old, it works fine.

First pic is measuring the ounces when run off the Vaporstat set at 8 ounce cut off with 4 differential. Second is when we switched over to test the presuretrol. You can see it at about one and a half pounds.

I'm looking forward to the precise low pressure gauge I have ordered to see how things line up. I now have the vaporstat cut out set at 12 ounces with a diff of 10 for cut in. Running the house at between 2 through 12 ounces of pressure!!! Its amazing what piping can do for one pipe steam heat. Not only the piping, but the venting is critical. I have Gorton #2 Main Vents which really get rid of the air so the steam can do its work. I also have Gorton radiator vents specifically picked out with certain venting capacities for each rad. Steve Zee, are you going to treat that nice old Maine house to a stoker soon?

http://www.gorton-valves.com/specify.htm

The main vents are huge. I'll post a pic of the them tomorrow.

Attachments

IMG_4997.JPG
.JPG | 123.5KB | IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_5004.JPG
.JPG | 90.8KB | IMG_5004.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 6:22 am

It is sure nice to see an installation like this fire up with no serious issues. It takes a lot of research, planning, hard work, beer, help from good friends, and usually more money than any of us expect when we first start into it. I have installed a few boilers, but they were all hot water systems and didn't have piping nearly this complex or critical to the system performance. I have followed this thread very closely as it has progressed, and I hope you continue to provide updates on how well it is running. I assume you have skimmed it a few times, the hot paint smell is probably starting to fade, and the big Axeman has started to ash and settle into a rhythm.

The picture of your dogs tells the whole story. "Feet up" is the same thing as "thumbs up". ;)

Nice job! Time to relax for a few days and enjoy the heat.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 8:33 am

Another satisfied Axeman user..............Ain't it great Steve ????

So I did see the fire glowing in the cold nightime sky. Congrads on a successful light up. It really is pretty easy isn't it ??

I can almost see your grin in your description of the time up to and through the lighting. I bet you still have the grin today and I am sure anyone who you come across today will hear how great your system is performing. If only you could get a written endorsement from the pooches !!!!

Now for tonight, just grab a few more brews and sit back, pet the doggies, and enjoy the success of your labor.

Congrads.

Rick

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 8:54 am

Wow, thats outstanding Steve! I am mighty impressed with the unit and install. You really got to love the elegance of design of those old one pipe systems! No pumps to screw with, not allot of moving parts to fail. Tune up those radiators and you're living large! Well done my friend! I'm craving! ;)

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 11:03 am

Outstanding job. Great understanding of how to do it right and great craftsmanship. The final touch would be for you to change your Avatar to a man with a grin from ear to ear!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 11:25 am

I'll vote two thumbs up, to go along with and reinforce the 'four paws up' vote from the dogs !! :D

Isn't it a great feeling when it all fires up and everything works??

Have you moved a recliner downstairs yet, next to the AA, with a mini fridge ? :lol:

You'll be checking on that boiler every few hours for several weeks.. I wore a path in the grass
going out to my boiler building the first year..

Awesome job Steve, and your support crew !

Greg L

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 11:47 am

Congratulations Steve, on the Superb Refurb and Installation :D

I too have been following this undertaking. You persevered and now have the Ultimate System for your home.

Some would say, that's a lot of time, money and effort spent. Yes it was, but you are done, finished and forever comfortable.
Oh, and lest we forget, the payback is ever upward at a very fast pace, and continues on for many decades to come.

That's where we all should want to be.:D

To borrow a good line...
Stay thirsty my friend!

McGiever

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Thank you all for the kind words and support. The dogs are really digging the steady heat and so am I.

Rob, I'm going to give it a few days to settle in before I do a thorough skim. Should take about 6 hours or so. The weather here in CT looks like it will warm up Saturday so I'm planning on then to do a blow down and skim.

Rick, glad you were able to have a sighting in the night sky of the fellow Axeman 260 firing up. I think it may have been a strong combination of the blast of the Axeman and the constant and steady grin on my face that allowed such a atmospheric occurrence as that!!!! Indeed, I still have the grin, especially as I write this. And yes, tonight is a nice little beer night. I have a couple guys from work coming over to witness the Axeman they have heard so much about and I'm just going to relax and do nothing today until then.

Steve you're right, its like part art and part science this steam thing. A beautiful thing.

Yanche, thank you and what a fine idea on a new avatar. How's this one?

Greg, a recliner would be perfect. I was down there until after 4 AM last night and if I had a nice recliner I would have just slept right there. Wow, what a change. From a rather cool and uninviting basement to a warm and cozy little retreat I have down there now. I have some nice plans for it and will post as it goes along.

McGiever, your statement reflects what I was feeling and hoping for all through this journey. Years ago I had been discouraged with my central heating system and blamed my woes on the, what I thought was obsolete, steam system I had with the house. Several years ago I started reading anything I could get my hands on regarding steam heat, especially those books by Dan Holohan. His writing style encouraged me to try and work with what I had. Through this forum I learned about coal and took those initial steps with small hand-fired stoves and then a big Hitzer. I knew I longed for a big stoker boiler and from these pages I found what systems were available to take care of my needs. I decided to take the big step and commitment in time and money to make it right. I must say, there were days I felt overwhelmed and worried if I made the right decision. To make matters worse, the peanut gallery at work would add in with quips about the black rocks, steam pipes, headers, equalizers and boilers I would talk about. While I was doing all the work I kept thinking about the payoff like you speak of. It kept me going and I believed in myself, my work at the project and my research from both here and the books I read. And I'm glad I did, because as I type this, at this moment, the Axeman just kicked on and I can hear the slight sound a radiator makes when that latent heat gives itself up to the cooler metal and once again, the wonderful cycle of steam heat warms my home.

Thanks again everyone! Now its time for my jaunt downstairs to reflect on things. (And maybe measure my door opening to see what size E-Z chair I can get down there!!!)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Great install!!! :dancing: I hate to be the one to notice such things, but is that a "coal chubby" your dog is sportin"?? :shock:

It appears you need to update your profile info....the make / model of heating appliance is outdated! :D

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Ooops, thanks Titleist1 on the profile update. I have to wear my Axeman badge proud.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Nice avatar! I must commend the lad, he did his homework and now reaps the rewards. :)
Only one downside I saw last night, the plumber is now suffering from Axemosis. A sometimes fatal disease that can only be cured with an injection of heavy iron from Williamsport PA.

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 2:47 pm

A few more pics of the boiler and piping.

Attachments

IMG_5012.JPG
.JPG | 176.4KB | IMG_5012.JPG
IMG_5013.JPG
.JPG | 158.3KB | IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5014.JPG
.JPG | 173.1KB | IMG_5014.JPG

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 2:48 pm

The other side.