New (to Me) Axeman 260

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jan. 02, 2012 12:35 am

Talk about ba journey...
Baby hand fired stoves to Large Stoker Steam...

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 2:14 am

Thank you all for the generous comments.

Well, it's been another long day and night but a lot was accomplished. Built a base for the coal bin and leveled it in place. Tied in the coal bin to the anthratube and filled it with a ton of coal.

Put up the smoke pipe and followed Axeman's directions for the connection at the baro with the 6 inch pipe into the 8 inch pipe. Seems to have come out fine.

Looks like I'm on track for firing it tomorrow late afternoon/evening. Someone made a comment that it must feel like Christmas in a way with the anticipation and all. That's exactly how I feel. I so look forward to the nice automatic steam heat, all throughout my house. I don't want to jinx myself though and find something amiss so I'm going to expect the unexpected and hope for the best.

Thanks again for the comments and tips etc.

Attachments

IMG_4933.JPG
.JPG | 138.6KB | IMG_4933.JPG
IMG_4943.JPG
.JPG | 158.9KB | IMG_4943.JPG
IMG_4940.JPG
.JPG | 199.2KB | IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4946.JPG
.JPG | 161.9KB | IMG_4946.JPG

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 2:15 am

Smoke pipe and baro set up.

Attachments

IMG_4953.JPG
.JPG | 147.2KB | IMG_4953.JPG
IMG_4950.JPG
.JPG | 54.4KB | IMG_4950.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 6:13 am

How tall is your coal bin? Looks like it might be tough on the shoulders.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 8:31 am

Got a bucket of ash to 'preload' the AA before you fire...

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 9:02 am

Rob, after repetitivly lifting on a 48 inch pipe wrench with five foot cheater bar over my head it was an absolute pleasure lifting a 40 pound bag over the top of the bin!!! But, to answer your question, its a 275 gallon oil tank on edge. I forgot the inches, I'll measure when I go back downstairs later. Really, wasn't bad at all. I was thinking of building a small set of stairs to assist but don't know if it'll be worth it. We'll see.

Cape, yes I have the ash. Been saving the Hitzer's ash for about a week now. Coaledsweat also brought up a couple bags so I should have enough.

Gonna tidy up a few loose ends and start the count down.

Edit's are for my awful spelling!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 9:09 am

Townsend wrote:I was thinking of building a small set of stairs to assist but don't know if it'll be worth it.
I think that is an excellent idea.
Townsend wrote:Gonna tidy up a few loose ends and start the count down.
There are more than a few of us "onlookers" that are just as anxious as you to see the blue flames. Don't forget to run upstairs, open a window, and yell "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" to the entire neighborhood. :D

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 9:31 am

Townsend wrote:Rob, after repetitivly lifting on a 48 inch pipe wrench with five foot cheater bar over my head
It would have been a lot easier if you sawed those 40# fittings off of each end of the pipe! :)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 10:45 pm

You know what?? I think I heard that match light off,, and is that kindling burning, what?? snap/crackle/pop of fresh coal on a hot fire.. and now is that the roar of the AA fan pulling heat through the boiler??

:lol: :shock: :D

Steve, I know you lit the match. Didn't you??

Greg L

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Good night for a test run...

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Jan. 03, 2012 11:12 pm

LsFarm wrote:You know what?? I think I heard that match light off,, and is that kindling burning, what?? snap/crackle/pop of fresh coal on a hot fire.. and now is that the roar of the AA fan pulling heat through the boiler??

:lol: :shock: :D

Steve, I know you lit the match. Didn't you??

Greg L
Looking northeast from here I think I see a faint glow appearing on the horizon.............................

Rick

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 12:35 am

Hello everyone reading this, who has been kind enough to follow my adventure in coal stokers, namely an Axeman Anderson 260.

I didn't plan on it being so cold but right now it is 12 degrees outside. Normally, I would have the hand fired stove up very high and using the blower to get the heat as far as I could in my home. On a night like this it was not fun to be in the far rooms.

The boiler I had previously was undersized and it did not help that my one pipe steam system was lacking in some necessary near boiler piping. It ultimately died and I was relying on my Hitzer to see me through. A stalwart job it did, but it was, and only could be a hand fired heater that could not transfer heat like a central heater could.

As you know I spent the last four months rebuilding the Axeman and addressing the piping issues in my house. Well, tonight was the night. Ian (coaledsweat) and another friend came over to assist in lighting it up and helping me in transitioning to coal fired stokers. After a full week and half of taking off from work I took care of the last steps in getting the Axeman ready to fire. To sum it up, it went off spectacular!!!!!!! I literally have a difficult time getting this huge grin off my face. :D

It's hard to explain how content I feel right now. Since I've owned my home I could never be truly warm in the winter. If I did let the thermostat setting stay somewhat high, I paid dearly every month when that oil truck would arrive in my driveway. Hence I cringed when I heard the oil burner kick on. And, it seemed like no matter how long it burned my home was not really that warm.

To emphasize how warm I am right now with the Axeman heating my radiators I must describe a bit situation. I am sitting writing this with the main doorway to the hallway where their is a sort of entry way that is used to either go upstairs or to the first floor. Normally, I keep it closed shut to "conserve" any precious heat that I had in the main living area from escaping in that unused entry way. I'm pleased to say I am wearing only underwear and a T-shirt and that door is wide open. It is a toasty 72 degrees here right now and has been for the last three hours. My steam radiators are thoroughly warm and radiating pleasant heat to me as I write. I am not drafty or chilled and usually when it is this cold out I wear a sweater and a cap to stay warm. I would not dare be like this in the oil days, or for that matter, my hand fired days. I'm not criticizing my Hitzer. It did a great job, but, my house is too big and not well insulated.

I have to say again, I can not believe how comfortable I am. And a major concern of mine was wondering if it would take an exceedingly long time for the TT to be satisfied when there was a call for heat. After the initial heat up cycle and my house got up to temp, I was thrilled when the TT called for heat when it dropped to 71 degrees and after only 11 minutes I was back over 72 degrees again!!!! 11 minutes!!! And, it has maintained that for the last 27 minutes so far and still no call for heat. The fully heated radiators just stay hot!!!! In my oil boiler days it was often a full hour before the TT was satisfied.

I know it is a good combination of the Axeman and that 4 inch drop down header to thank. Oh, and before I forget, the Axeman is much quieter than my old oil burner. I had to walk towards the cellar door at one point to hear if it was still running.

To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

I want to thank all of you who helped make this day possible through your valuable insight and advice. Thanks for sharing.

I have to say hats off to coaledsweat who has really gone the extra mile in making this day possible. Luckily I reached out to him when I learned he had an Axeman and he did not hesitate to make me feel welcome and teach me what he knows. Tonight for instance, I would have been overwhelmed due to all that was going on in getting the boiler running, but with him here he showed me how to set my Anthrastat and ashing lever, among many other things, like turning wrenches and getting last minute details taken care of.

Also thanks to LS Farm who pretty much was my guiding light when I took my first steps into small hand fired heaters. And he has been there continually when I pick up the phone to call him with a specific question.

Also, Rob R, thank you for all the research knowledge you willingly pass on. And all you Axeman owners who give insight from your experiences. Actually, its hard to stop the thank you naming, because each of you has been willing to answer questions and place posts that really help me out.

(Still, no call for heat and I am warm!!!!) :D

Here are some pics of the light up. I wish I could somehow show you the literal warmth that is now in my home. The dogs are snuggled up, the doors to hallways and closets are open, it's very warm and inviting. And, there is no noise!! No banging of pipes, no hissing of vents, just good dry steam that quietly goes about its path and gives up that heat to the heavy metal radiators. When I get done writing I am going back to the basement to gaze at that Axeman and the piping. I hope it fires off again so I can watch that fire box roar!!

I will continue with some posts of little touch ups I do to the boiler room and the rads as I complete them.

Attachments

IMG_4963.JPG

Filled with water!!!

.JPG | 153.6KB | IMG_4963.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG

Loading it up with some wood.

.JPG | 142.9KB | IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4968.JPG
.JPG | 151.2KB | IMG_4968.JPG
IMG_4970.JPG

1st match in the Axeman!!

.JPG | 144.1KB | IMG_4970.JPG

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 12:44 am

Very nice...
Perfect Night for the startup...
Warm house to boot...
Nice to have a house at 72*...
And not be panicked at a monster heating bill...

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 12:46 am

A little video.

Attachments

Lighting the Axeman 260.wmv
.WMV | 4.6MB | Lighting the Axeman 260.wmv

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Wed. Jan. 04, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks CC, you are so right!!!! Coal is great!!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”