New (to Me) Axeman 260

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Sun. Sep. 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Well, finally pulled the trigger on a stoker. Found a used Axeman 260 manufactured in 1980 from a member of this forum. The whole deal was made much easier due to the helpfulness of fellow Connecticut forum member 'Coaledsweat' aka Ian, who assisted in the whole adventure including a trip to Vermont. Got it home and started clean up and a needed tune-up. I'll need a few parts from AA to get the unit fit for service and look forward to getting it fired up. I'd also like to thank Greg 'LS Farm' for his willingness to take my many phone calls for info.

My internet is out at the house so I'll try and post some pics from my phone. I'll try and keep regular updates of the refurb/install pics.

Thanks to this website and many members who gave needed advice throughout my journey in coal.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Sun. Sep. 04, 2011 9:50 pm

This is certainly one of the top ten coal stoves ever produced so congratulations!

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Mon. Sep. 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Got the unit home now time for some refurb.

Attachments

IMG_2965.JPG

Getting it loaded.

.JPG | 94.9KB | IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG

Arriving home.

.JPG | 245.7KB | IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2979.JPG

Starting the clean up.

.JPG | 209.6KB | IMG_2979.JPG

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 6:28 am

She's beasty! Congrats on the good find.

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks Freddy! I'm going to refurb it in my garage and then bring it to the cellar.

What's the best way to clean the electric motor from fly ash/grime? I covered it with plastic when I pressured sprayed the unit. I don't want to damage the electrical.

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 9:12 am

Steam or windex lots of rags

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 9:13 am

Townsend wrote: What's the best way to clean the electric motor from fly ash/grime? I covered it with plastic when I pressured sprayed the unit. I don't want to damage the electrical.
If I was going to do this refurb, I would take the motor off the unit and send it out to the local electric motor repair shop and have them clean and inspect it for any problems like worn bearings, etc. They would have to clean it to inspect it and this way you now should have a trouble free unit for several years.

Rick

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Townsend wrote:What's the best way to clean the electric motor
My Dad used to say "The sign of a good mechani is one that can rebuild en engine without disturbing the original dirt". LOL.

I use rubber gloves, kerosene & a damp, not wet, rag. I do like Ricks idea though of giving it a true inspection. It'd suck to get it up and running only to have the brushes , bearings, or armature crap out day one.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 6:48 pm

I noticed one thing that is significantly different between my boiler and the one Townsend bought that I thought was odd. I say odd because it doesn't look like Axeman is big on revisions, even their promotional literature is older than I am. :) At the back of the firebox, there is a small hole to the right of center almost triangular in shape that goes into the rear of the boiler. On Townsend's boiler, there appears to be two or one large hole centrally located. His is an '80 and mine is an '81. Anyone know why there is a difference? His is a steam boiler and mine is hot water, not sure if that could be the reason or if it's something else.

Sending a small motor like that to the re builder could cost as much as a new one, check the pricing of each before committing to that.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 7:18 pm

coaledsweat wrote:I noticed one thing that is significantly different between my boiler and the one Townsend bought that I thought was odd. I say odd because it doesn't look like Axeman is big on revisions, even their promotional literature is older than I am. :) At the back of the firebox, there is a small hole to the right of center almost triangular in shape that goes into the rear of the boiler. On Townsend's boiler, there appears to be two or one large hole centrally located. His is an '80 and mine is an '81. Anyone know why there is a difference? His is a steam boiler and mine is hot water, not sure if that could be the reason or if it's something else.
:oops: Just checked mine, same as his. I guess it's a lot easier to see when it's apart. :)

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 8:31 pm

Ian, thanks for the onions. Delicious! Glad to hear the boilers are twins.

Rick, I like the idea of checking the motor out. I contacted a repair shop to estimate cost/feasibility. Will post the results when I hear back from them. I cleaned it up tonight with some rags and grease remover. The motor is a General Electric 1/2 HP, 60 HZ and RPM 1725. Anyone know if this is OEM from 1980.

Fran654

Post by Fran654 » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 9:02 pm

hi there check the burn pot at the bottom for bourn out, when you remove the plate to get to the grate you will see the bottom of the pot, mine was burnt out ,i took a piece of steel bar ,bent it then miged it in place, also check rollers on grate, they freeze then drag and get flat spots, then the water coil gaket, uner that the boiler pits if the gaket was leakin, caereful on those studs soak them good , mine all come out some the nut come off some come out of boiler, they do snap, the end in the boiler is threaded with a taper, I replaced all of mine , never sieze on all threads, all nuts and bolts that I replaced are stainless steel,also if you remove the fan just inside the fan housing on the boiler, mine had a groove, swore it was machined in there it was so perfect, but its from the fly ash spinning in there, had to weld that up also, take your time , its a fun, sometimes frustrating project,i painted mine with chaSIS SAVER FROM NAPPA pricy but good stuff, also the pipe plugs and reducers, they will come out mine wre tough but eventually they gave up,,, now im down the basement checking pressure ,water temp. wifes complaining I spend all night downn there ,, they are graet , make gobs of heat, also check your transfer head bearing, brass ring bolted on where coal tube meets transfer head, call axeman they will send you parts manual, very helpful,, you WONT be sorry once you get this done, mine total cost from start to finish was about half, of a new one, good luck, pm me if you need help,, Tommy,,,,,i named my boiler,,Bessie

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Tommy, thanks for the info on "Bessie"! I've named mine as well and she is 'Steamalynne Lucretia Steamanski' ... I call her "Steamy" for short. Burn pot is sound with no wear. Ashing grate works smooth.

I ordered a number of parts from Axeman today. I have the brass split ring ordered as well as gaskets for the fan housing, DHC, and cyclone cone. I also ordered belts, the rubber foot on the fan support leg and the sight glass assembly.

Due to work I have yet to begin the project in earnest but a casual observation of the fan caused me some concern. Please compare the pics of the fan blades below. Some of the fan blades appear curved at the top most edge while others appear straight. Of the blades in total it seems roughly a 50/50 mix of curved vs straight. Mind you, it is not every other blade but rather seems to have no set ratio other than a few here and there curved.

I've heard of the concern for the "grove" worn into the inner side of the housing but I'm not sure what to look at.

Steve

Attachments

IMG_3026.JPG

Straight

.JPG | 129.6KB | IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3027.JPG

Curved

.JPG | 133.6KB | IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG

Curved

.JPG | 131.2KB | IMG_3029.JPG
Last edited by Townsend on Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Other than the curved shape of some, I can't see any noticeable wear, cracks etc.

Here is a few shots of the housing and the four bolts at the center to attach it. I've heard it would be prudent to remove and replace with stainless steel, which, by the way, I will be doing with all of the fittings I replace gaskets at etc.

I should also add that I ordered a new style 'flange' for the DHW coil cover that will be welded on.

Attachments

IMG_3041.JPG
.JPG | 172.6KB | IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3040.JPG
.JPG | 144.1KB | IMG_3040.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG
.JPG | 167.8KB | IMG_3043.JPG

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Tue. Sep. 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Some shots of the inner fan shroud. I put the dark scrape mark on the last pic.

Attachments

IMG_3046.JPG
.JPG | 130.7KB | IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG
.JPG | 158.5KB | IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
.JPG | 169.5KB | IMG_3050.JPG

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”