AHS S130 Coalgun- Puffbacks & Explosions

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Dec. 10, 2013 5:40 am

Has the add-on timer control unit that moderates ashing changed things for anyone? Are things better?

macdabs
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: Pellet,oil

Post by macdabs » Wed. Dec. 11, 2013 9:48 am

lsayre wrote:Has the add-on timer control unit that moderates ashing changed things for anyone? Are things better?
I hate to talk about the "Ka boom" word as my daughter calls it, but I have been boom free for three weeks . :D And even with the up and down temps and strange weather we have been having in central Pa all has been well. I have been in the shop a good bit on weekends and never heard a hint or burp from the boiler. The boiler runs a little more and I have less un-burnt coal in the mild days when the temp went in the 60*s then plunged down in the teens . So far so good!
Mac

dchartt
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

Post by dchartt » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 1:31 pm

wish I could say the same, I found my tombstone cover half off this morning and the flap door bent up

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 2:30 pm

dchartt wrote:wish I could say the same, I found my tombstone cover half off this morning and the flap door bent up
Did you apply the timer modification?

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 10:39 am

No I havent been on here since last winter, I saw something about it somewhere but haven't looked into it yet, didnt think Id have to modify my boiler myself to make it safe

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 3:17 pm

dchartt wrote:No I havent been on here since last winter, I saw something about it somewhere but haven't looked into it yet, didnt think Id have to modify my boiler myself to make it safe
GOOD POINT
Automakers don't/wouldn't offer their customers kits to purchase and install themselves to fix the automaker's operational design flaws.

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 5:45 pm

im sure someone will chime in and tell me its the coal im burning or my draft isnt good enough...i would trade this coal gun for a hand fed wood/coal tomorrow...thats my 2 cents, I have a hand fed stove in my barn also burning same coal and pulling a great draft with no problems, and yes I had puffbacks in the coalgun way before I installed the stove, and yes my fire height is perfect and everything has been cleaned and maintained, short stack 85% straight up, I love this boiler except for that, its runs fine but hey its always in the back of my head shes gonna let a big one out someday, and no Im not installing all kinds of gadgetry to make this thing run right thats insanity I didnt spend that kind of money so I could spend my time modifying, ahs oughta give the stuff out for free with an apology,had to vent guys sorry

wonder what they think when they see, last post : coalgun puffbacks and explosions everytime they get on this site

rychw

Post by rychw » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 8:30 pm

dchartt wrote:Im not installing all kinds of gadgetry to make this thing run right thats insanity I didnt spend that kind of money so I could spend my time modifying, ahs oughta give the stuff out for free with an apology
dchart,

I understand your frustration. I have been tinkering with my AHS 130 for 8 years trying to get rid of the explosions. Right now, my boiler is running the best (safest) it has run since installed. I had to make modifications to get to this point and I'm still not convinced the problem is solved. BUT, I can't let the explosions happen without trying stop them. I need to protect my house and family. I agree that AHS should help us all solve the explosion problem without added costs. Have you talked the AHS? I did and now things are better. Just a thought and I've been where you are with the frustration and disgust.

dchartt

Post by dchartt » Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 3:33 am

Im sorry but ill scrap this thing before I tinker for 8 years after spending 7 grand, no offense

Yes I talked to them a year or two ago and got no where and got farther on my own so I started to believe I knew more about their product than they did....im sorry guys but thats why I really don't grt on here much this post reminds me of it and I try and forget haha...my boiler is in my barn and theres insurance on it all so whatever, but I do keep up with it im not that kind of guy who just puts coal in the hopper and walks away, id probably take it a lot more serious if it was in my basement and feel bad for the guys who have theirs down there and have to deal with it

greenftechn
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Coal Gun S130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Wood Gun

Post by greenftechn » Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 8:26 am

In case some folks have missed the announcement, I'd like to repeat that the company has had a change in ownership. One result of this is that we will take support more seriously. I am sorry that folks have found that part of the customer/business relationship lacking.

macdabs
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 260
Other Heating: Pellet,oil

Post by macdabs » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 8:43 am

I wanted to let everyone know that the boiler has been running great since the timer modification on the grate motor. I have been in my shop a good bit over the last month and as everyone in Pa is aware the temperature has been up and down the last couple of weeks. I have not had any burps or bangs from the boiler or even heard the slightest hint of a poof out of the burn chamber during on or off cycle. The elves are pleased and warm both in the shop and the house. :) :)

Merry Christmas ,
Mac

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 8:47 am

macdabs wrote:I wanted to let everyone know that the boiler has been running great since the timer modification on the grate motor. I have been in my shop a good bit over the last month and as everyone in Pa is aware the temperature has been up and down the last couple of weeks. I have not had any burps or bangs from the boiler or even heard the slightest hint of a poof out of the burn chamber during on or off cycle. The elves are pleased and warm both in the shop and the house. :) :)

Merry Christmas ,
Mac
The new owners of AHS must be congratulated for solving this issue! Well done!!!

Bob
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite

Post by Bob » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 9:18 am

macdabs wrote:I wanted to let everyone know that the boiler has been running great since the timer modification on the grate motor. I have been in my shop a good bit over the last month and as everyone in Pa is aware the temperature has been up and down the last couple of weeks. I have not had any burps or bangs from the boiler or even heard the slightest hint of a poof out of the burn chamber during on or off cycle. The elves are pleased and warm both in the shop and the house. :) :)

Merry Christmas ,
Mac
Would you please post the details about the "timer modification" as well as the settings that finally are working for you?

Thank you.

NWBuilder
Stoker Coal Boiler: Ahs 130
Coal Size/Type: Burning Pea anthracite

Post by NWBuilder » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 9:55 am

lsayre wrote:

Merry Christmas ,
Mac
The new owners of AHS must be congratulated for solving this issue! Well done!!!
That is GREAT news!!!! SO happy for you. Merry Christmas!! NWB

greenftechn
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Coal Gun S130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Wood Gun

Post by greenftechn » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 10:34 am

We know we still have work to do. Stay humble. Work hard. Work smart. The best never rest. ;)

Merry Christmas to all!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”