Post by vwgtiman » Tue. Mar. 01, 2011 7:17 am

Here are a few photos of the stoker assy:

Attachments

IMG_2840.jpg
.JPG | 318.7KB | IMG_2840.jpg
IMG_5738.jpg
.JPG | 266.9KB | IMG_5738.jpg

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Mar. 01, 2011 11:15 am

vwgtiman wrote:Here are a few photos of the stoker assy:
What you have is the early version of S-20 stoker Also the early S-15 were like that with the slotted crank Assembly
feed adjustment On S-20 1-8 teeth feed rate 2.5 lbs to 20 lbs per hr max feed .
S-15 1-6 teeth feed rate 2.5 lbs per hr to 15lbs per hr max feed .
Yours can be changed to the newer version with the feed control collar plate over the drum gear up top
with the soild crank Assembly. Feed rate 1-10 teeth 2.5 lbs per hr to 25lbs per hr max or more if needed .

Contact Steve /Scrapper 23 Jr like I told you several times in the Pass he will have what you need And he is close to you
Ravine.

You need to set up the baro with a draft gauge or a manometer .
Clean the unit out also increasing and decreasing the air setting will also increase & decrease the flue temps
The higher the air setting the higher the flue temps The lower the air setting the lower the flue temps .

Does your stoker have a 2.5" spacer plate between the blower month and base If so you have a S-15 stoker

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Tue. Mar. 01, 2011 2:29 pm

coal berner wrote:
vwgtiman wrote:Here are a few photos of the stoker assy:
What you have is the early version of S-20 stoker Also the early S-15 were like that with the slotted crank Assembly
Yours can be changed to the newer version with the feed control collar plate over the drum gear up top
with the soild crank Assembly. Feed rate 1-10 teeth 2.5 lbs per hr to 25lbs per hr max or more if needed .

Contact Steve /Scrapper 23 Jr like I told you several times in the Pass he will have what you need And he is close to you
Ravine.

Clean the unit out also increasing and decreasing the air setting will also increase & decrease the flue temps
The higher the air setting the higher the flue temps The lower the air setting the lower the flue temps .

Does your stoker have a 2.5" spacer plate between the blower month and base If so you have a S-15 stoker
Ok, It sounds like I have the S-15 for sure then due to the spacer plate. How does one get only 1 click with this if the feed control was not part of the original assembly. I know it can be added but if there is some way I can go less then 4 with what I have I will just do that. Thanks

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Mar. 02, 2011 11:19 am

vwgtiman wrote:
coal berner wrote: What you have is the early version of S-20 stoker Also the early S-15 were like that with the slotted crank Assembly
with the solid crank Assembly. Feed rate 1-10 teeth 2.5 lbs per hr to 25lbs per hr max or more if needed .

Ravine.

Ok, It sounds like I have the S-15 for sure then due to the spacer plate. How does one get only 1 click with this if the feed control was not part of the original assembly. I know it can be added but if there is some way I can go less then 4 with what I have I will just do that. Thanks
A S-15 stoker is 1-6 Teeth max 2.5 lbs per hr up to 15lbs per hr max .
A - S-20 stoker with the slotted crank has a 1-8 Teeth feed rate 2.5 lbs per hr to 20lbs per hr longer gear box arm .

To adjust feed rate loosen bolt on crank slide up to decrease feed down for increase feed Another words
closet to center of crank it lowest setting.
If it is a early S-15 stoker that's the correct control as well if it was a early S-20 stoker that's how they are like the
Highboys are.

Except S-15 stoker had a max feed of 6 teeth 15lbs per hr The early S-20 had a max feed of 8 teeth 20lbs per hr
The later /New S-20 stoker have a max feed of 10 teeth 25lbs per hr .
to convert the older to newer you need solid crank- feed controller plate -and newer shaft & assembly - longer gear arm

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 8:09 am

As JC stated-do a complete cleaning of the boiler and breach and then set the draft with a manometer, that should get your pipe temps down some.
Some cleaning hints here, although it's for a DF 520:
Annual Maintenance and Cleaning of the DF520 Boiler

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”