Missing Feed Control

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I have an EFM 350 that has the larger gearbox and the straight connecting rod. I always assumed that the feed was adjusted at the set screw at the gearbox arm but I see that I may be missing this "feed control"... Can I add this? I cant go lower then 4 clicks right now. The Harmony coal im burning is way hot and 4 clicks is wasting heat up the pipe... It appears I MAY need the 9433763K (bracket / bushing) and for sure the 9433762K (feed control kit). Who can supply this? Any idea on cost?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Why do you say your boiler is "wasting heat up the pipe"? Do you have problems with it overheating? What are your current aquastat and timer settings? 4 teeth is a pretty common setting, if your boiler is overheating I think something else may be to blame.

If you are determined to upgrade the feed control contact forum member scrapper_23jr. He will know what you need and probably have it in stock.

-Rob

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 3:37 pm

My stack temps are way high. That is what I ment to say. I would think I should almost be able to hold my hand against an 8" stove pipe. My pipe is 400 degrees plus. If I lower the air (4.5) I get unburnt coal off the pot. I cant go lower then 4 teeth.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Are the baffles installed? Does your boiler have flyash built up on the heat exchanger?

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Baffles??? Flyash??? Well, I never cleaned it since Oct 09 install and initial fire up... so I am betting yes, it is probably dirty :shock: Not sure on what the baffles are.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 4:11 pm

The boiler and pipes need to be cleaned of flyash once a year or more often depending on how hard you are running the boiler. Flyash acts as insulation preventing the fire's heat from transferring to the boiler water.
First a few questions, Have you measured the draft to the boiler and if so what is the draft set at? Do you have a barometric damper installed? Has this always happened or did it just start recently? What are the aquastat settings?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 4:19 pm

vwgtiman wrote:Baffles??? Flyash??? Well, I never cleaned it since Oct 09 install and initial fire up... so I am betting yes, it is probably dirty :shock: Not sure on what the baffles are.
Now we're getting somewhere. A buildup of flyash on the plates and other boiler surfaces will certainly increase the stack temperature.

The baffles hang inside the boiler to make the flue gases travel the full length of the heat exchanger before leaving the base. Here are some pictures of the baffles used in the current DF520. There are two baffles like the one shown in picture #1, and they hang on hooks welded to the heat exchanger. There should be one baffle like shown in picture #2, it hangs on two V shaped brackets at the top rear of the firebox.
-Rob

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 4:46 pm

I best hope for warm weather this week so I can do a cleaning... :shock: As for baffles, there is a plate at the back of the firebox that looks like that but I think its fastened somehow. No hooks. Its a 350 if this matters.

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:The boiler and pipes need to be cleaned of flyash once a year or more often depending on how hard you are running the boiler. Flyash acts as insulation preventing the fire's heat from transferring to the boiler water.
First a few questions, Have you measured the draft to the boiler and if so what is the draft set at? Do you have a barometric damper installed? Has this always happened or did it just start recently? What are the aquastat settings?
I get more draft then I should and I have a good quality damper installed. It is almost always wide open letting air from my garage into the tripple insultated pipe.

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Would having no seal arround the round fire door cause anything?

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 5:20 pm

So you have a baro damper and a good draft. Still need the rest of the answers.
Have you measured the draft to the boiler and if so what is the draft set at? Has this always happened or did it just start recently? What are the aquastat settings?
Also is this a plate or tube boiler?
Thanks.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Having no seal around the door can let fumes in the house and affect the burn when it idles alot.

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:So you have a baro damper and a good draft. Still need the rest of the answers.
Have you measured the draft to the boiler and if so what is the draft set at? Has this always happened or did it just start recently? What are the aquastat settings?
Also is this a plate or tube boiler?
Thanks.
Its a plate boiler. I had the draft checked and it was high but I can not recall what it was. Yes, I have a high quality baro damper. I may need to see if I can pick up a meter. It has always been this way but I am clamping down on waste arround the home and this is on my list. Thanks all...

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Feb. 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Aquastat settings?????

vwgtiman

Post by vwgtiman » Tue. Mar. 01, 2011 7:10 am

160 - 180 10

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”