Sharp Dressed Highboy

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 4:08 pm

1954 EFM 520 Highboy. Heating a 3,300 sq. ft home in Northern, NY. Six zones, 7 GPM coil, excellent performance! At 4 teeth of feed the Highboy will literally "blow the doors off" the 100k BTU oil boiler sitting next to it. With 54 gallons in the boiler, it can often satisfy a call for heat without firing the stoker.

According to EFM the stoker was originally shipped to Pine Grove, PA on August 10, 1954. We picked it up from Scrapper on August 15, 2010. It took a lot of late nights after work, but dad and I installed it ourselves. The first fire was on November 17th, and it has been running great ever since. I still have a few things on the "punch list" to address in the spring, but it will run great until then. Based on our calculations, it costs about 50% less to operate the EFM than the oil boiler...with the bonus of unlimited domestic hot water and a warm basement. Overall I am very proud of the install, but I am always open to suggestions for improvements.

The video was taken with my cell phone, and for some reason it makes the stoker and auger sound much louder than it really is. Note that the video is available in HD.

-Rob

Last edited by Rob R. on Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim d

Post by jim d » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 4:16 pm

the boiler looks beautyfull, but the ty laying on its back on the plumbing going out is not to code

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Nice job, Rob. She's a beauty :up: Will you eventually build a bin, or keep the barrel?

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Very clean installation and an unbelievable presentation of the High-boy. I've never seen 'the case' in such fine condition, and someday you can take it to the 'Barrett-Jackson' Boiler Expo and come home with a 'First Prize!!'

I'm guessing that the capacity isn't even tested on a 20 below day, and that warm floors and no shaking a hand fed are benefits not even planned on. I wished you had the front cover off to show the Domestic coil mounted 'up-front' so that the rear clearance is not even an issue. FitzGibbons personnel may have done that modification without EFM approval, or why else was it not incorporated into all 520's. 700's,900's or 1300's that followed the 1954 end of the highboy?

You may have a new 'hobby' for the rest of your life! :D :) :idea: :!:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jan. 19, 2011 9:52 pm

The video was taken with my cell phone, and for some reason it makes the stoker and auger sound much louder than it really is.
I love that sound.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 12:18 am

whistlenut wrote:Very clean installation and an unbelievable presentation of the High-boy. I've never seen 'the case' in such fine condition, and someday you can take it to the 'Barrett-Jackson' Boiler Expo and come home with a 'First Prize!!'

I'm guessing that the capacity isn't even tested on a 20 below day, and that warm floors and no shaking a hand fed are benefits not even planned on. I wished you had the front cover off to show the Domestic coil mounted 'up-front' so that the rear clearance is not even an issue. FitzGibbons personnel may have done that modification without EFM approval, or why else was it not incorporated into all 520's. 700's,900's or 1300's that followed the 1954 end of the highboy?

There is no way EFM would of ever left one of their unit out of the factory not made under there specification.
Fitzgibbon made the boiler top to EFM specification .
I Think there are two reason why they only made the coil up front for 7 years is that when the coil is above the fire viewing door and the coil starts to leak you don't want water going into the fire chamber located In the back not a problem .
Two is appearance having two water lines coming out of the front does not look as good as having them in the back.
Remember back then they had full cabinet doors they wanted them to look like a piece of furniture it was the 50's look.
They made Highboy from 1948 to 1954 made a few units in 1955 .
First AP-1 520 came out in late 1950 early 1951 rear water coil .
First AP -1 350 1960 rear coil
First AP-1 700 in 1962 ended 1975 rear water coil
First AP-1 900 1965 to 1986 rear water coil
First AP-1 1300 1966 to 1986 rear water coil

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 12:24 am

whistlenut wrote:Very clean installation and an unbelievable presentation of the High-boy. I've never seen 'the case' in such fine condition, and someday you can take it to the 'Barrett-Jackson' Boiler Expo and come home with a 'First Prize!!'

How many highboys have you seen That's what the cabinet are supposed to look like when there done right

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 12:33 am

markviii wrote:1954 EFM 520 Highboy. Heating a 3,300 sq. ft home in Northern, NY. Six zones, 7 GPM coil, excellent performance! At 4 teeth of feed the Highboy will literally "blow the doors off" the 100k BTU oil boiler sitting next to it. With 54 gallons in the boiler, it can often satisfy a call for heat without firing the stoker.

According to EFM the stoker was originally shipped to Pine Grove, PA on August 10, 1954. We picked it up from Scrapper on August 15, 2010. It took a lot of late nights after work, but dad and I installed it ourselves. The first fire was on November 17th, and it has been running great ever since. I still have a few things on the "punch list" to address in the spring, but it will run great until then. Based on our calculations, it costs about 50% less to operate the EFM than the oil boiler...with the bonus of unlimited domestic hot water and a warm basement. Overall I am very proud of the install, but I am always open to suggestions for improvements.

The video was taken with my cell phone, and for some reason it makes the stoker and auger sound much louder than it really is. Note that the video is available in HD.

-Rob

Don't see its own Draft control / baro hope your not sharing one chimney with two different heating unit that's a no no
to code

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 6:21 am

You got me. The video was taken about two weeks after we first fired it up. Once we were confident with the boiler setup and our plumbing the smoke pipe configuration was changed. It has an RC draft control.

-Rob

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Jan. 24, 2011 9:29 pm

This boiler is just so awe inspiring I may tear out my hot air ducts and pipe the whole house, the detached garage and the driveway!

Nicely done video btw!

Mark

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 16, 2011 7:52 pm

That sure is one Sharp Dressed Highboy :) Wow...blows me away. :jawdrop:

Question for all the EFM gurus...

Were there any other residential sized EFM (350's or 520's) with the full smooth removable fronts?

And if there was, was that removable cover discontinued at the same time (1955-56) as it was for the Highboy?

scrapper_23jr
Verified Business Rep.

Post by scrapper_23jr » Thu. Nov. 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks for all the comments about the highboy, the wife gets all the credit for the cosmetic looks, a lot of time went into this unit and I handled like restoring an old car I wanted it to look presentable to show what they looked like because so many never seen one, to the best of my knowledge with my brain fading with my age I do not know of any other units produced with this style covers, have another one in shop that I just started on and hopefully she turns out just as nice for whoever purchases it

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 18, 2011 7:00 am

Not only is this Highboy a "looker", it is a "runner" too! You will never meet a bigger EFM fan that my dad, this boiler really sold him. I don't think anyone has visited his house in the last year that didn't get a tour. Two weeks ago they had a house FULL of people, and it seemed like the washing machine, dishwasher, showers, etc were always running. More that one person commented that the hot water was endless. :D

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Fri. Nov. 18, 2011 7:21 am

Rob R. wrote: I don't think anyone has visited his house in the last year that didn't get a tour.
I hear that! My entire neighborhood is waiting for me to install my Highboy, and "Get the Tour". Right now, I am giving tours just for the DVC500 :shock:
I hope I can set up my highboy as well as you set yours up. It will have its own room :D

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Thu. Dec. 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Well done Rob, great looking and performing unit.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”