Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 260M Disection

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 5:44 pm

The full load amps of only 8.0 makes me believe that your motor is also a low torque motor. What is the outside diameter of the motor case??
I can't find a cross reference between Dayton and Marathon. So I'm not sure about how comparable they are. But the FL amps on the 'old' [and I assume original] motor are 9.2.

The new motor that didn't work out is an 8.0 amp motor, and it took 3-5 seconds to accelerate the fan up to speed. When it would accellerate it at all.

The old 'original' motor spins the fan and auger up almost instantly. 1-2 seconds max. So this Dayton 6K122 motor is doing a good job.

Greg L

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 5:49 pm

greg if you didn't see watch the quicktime vids of my motor spinup I did for you ... I added them to my last post. also the marathon motor was something the past owers of the house had put on when the orginal motor went out they did say this wasn't the same but it was alot cheaper then what AA used...... I wonder Why... J/K

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 6:25 pm

Greg,

Make things a little easier on yourself!
Contact the people who built it and find out exactly what motor is supposed to be on it.
Just a suggestion!

[email protected]

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 6:29 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Greg,

Make things a little easier on yourself!
Contact the people who built it and find out exactly what motor is supposed to be on it.
Just a suggestion!

[email protected]
i know I'll be on the phone with Pete Axeman in the AM if anyone wants to add this to my list of this to ask him.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 6:37 pm

Yes, other than the make and model number of the motor, please find out how much a replacement fan for our 260m costs, and if it is available. I welded up a crack in mine, but I also found some pieces of a previous fan inside the boiler. [shrapnel !! ]
Since the fan makes the boiler what it is, without it the AA is just a big hunk of steel.

Thanks. Greg.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 7:20 pm

LsFarm wrote:Another observation Last night was the first full night of uninterupted use of the boiler. And I found another 'issue'.

The previous owner / operator must have compensated for the worn out grate linkage by turning the ash sensing temp to make the grate run almost continously. Since I was not able to read the markings on the temp sensor I left it alone. So last night I used a lot of coal, and a lot of half burnt coal was in the ash pan. $$%$$^& !!!

So I adjusted the temp sensor way down to the point that very little heat was required to have it stop the grate from shaking. Since I was able to maintain a fire for 5 days without any fan draft or grate shaking last week, I believe that I have the temp sensor set at a good starting point for 'fine-tuning' the setting.

The AA boiler manual is pretty specific about not using the black plastic knob to turn the temp adjustment, because it will slip on the shaft and ruin the calibration. Well this apparently happened to this temp sensor, so the pointer is just an indication, pointing at an irrelevant number on the scale.

So I'm still climbing the 'learning curve'.

Greg L

Hi Greg WEll I hope you Sift the ashes and got all of the good coal out :lol: :lol:

Bob
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite

Post by Bob » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 7:27 pm

According to a chart I have you should probably chose either a Capacitor start Induction run motor or a capacitor start Capacitor run motor. The important difference between the two types is that the capacitor run motor has better full-load efficiency.

Another factor that differs between motor types, and within motors of a particular type, is start up current requirements and the necessary service entrance capacity of the building you are placing the motor in. For example the starting current on a typical capacitor start induction run motor is 3 to 6 times running current while the typical capacitor start capacitor run motor draws 3 to 5 times the running current to start the motor.

All AC motors rated 1/2 hp and more have a code letter on the nameplate that gives an indication of the current required to start the motor under full load. Depending upon the service entrance capacity of the building where the motor is located the code letter of the motor may be important in selecting a motor and in sizing the wiring to the motor.

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 8:15 pm

LsFarm wrote:Yes, other than the make and model number of the motor, please find out how much a replacement fan for our 260m costs, and if it is available. I welded up a crack in mine, but I also found some pieces of a previous fan inside the boiler. [shrapnel !! ]
Since the fan makes the boiler what it is, without it the AA is just a big hunk of steel.

Thanks. Greg.
Not a problem, that Item has been added to my list.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 8:53 pm

U235a4 wrote: i know I'll be on the phone with Pete Axeman in the AM if anyone wants to add this to my list of this to ask him.
Also price a replacement auger. Try and find out if the make the auger or buy it from someone else. There are sources for the flighting only and they could just weld it inside a standard pipe. Those of you that want to make custom coal or ash handling systems should look at:
http://www.augersunlimited.com/Flighting.htm

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 8:37 am

This morning, with the temperature controled shaker set to shake a lot less, I have burned about a five gallon pail of coal in the last 12 hours, and made only a double handfull of ash... now that's ALOT better !!

The AA boiler does cycle on for about 8 minutes two or three times an hour, depends on water useage and heat load. But it sure gets most of the heat out of the fire, the chimney temps, measured with a probe in the middle of the flue rarely go over 230*, the highest I've seen is 256*. This is a huge drop in flue temps compared to my other boiler.

Greg L

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 8:47 am

That sounds good, Greg.
I'm burning 3 to 4 scuttles full every 24 hours, and filling up the ash can, which is about 5 gallons, every 2 to 3 days. So something can be said for that good coal you're burning.

Hope you solve your motor problems.

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 9:40 am

Well Just got off the phone with bev in sales since pete was tied up and got the info we all long for mostly. I'll be PMing your info.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Please let me know about the motor as well. I've been following this topic and I'm interested in the outcome.

Thanks.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 8:51 pm

AA offers a motor for sale, but doesn't give out the make/model. Just the price: $280. Ouch.

I bought the farm duty motor today, it is working great so far..

The fan is $194, I'll be ordering one soon.
The auger is around $550...
The auger head is about $250

Greg L

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Nov. 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Glad to hear you have a motor that's up to the task on the AA now.

They probably don't give out the info on the motor because it may be available cheaper elsewhere. Then there's the shipping charges. I was hoping they would give out the specs for the motor instead of the brand and model. Then any motor distributor could supply one with the right specs, regardless of the brand.

I still haven't found that stupid motor book. I had it in my work truck, but I have a different truck now and I don't remember where I put it when I emptied the old truck. I know it's here somewhere.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”