Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 260M Disection

europachris

Post by europachris » Thu. Nov. 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Any preliminary results with the new (fresh) fire and the ashing timer you're testing out?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Nov. 29, 2007 9:24 pm

This morning it appeared to be doing better, the fire was till burning hot right up next to the steel firetube wall. The new fire was still burning hot. Flue temps over 300*. It is too early to tell about he ash, since what got shook out overnight is the product of the first fire, and the intial ash I put in the ash drawer to build the fire upon.

Later today It appears that the burn is much more complete, but I didn't run the boiler in a normal manner today, I had the auger disconnected and removed while I was building the big perminent coal hopper for the boiler. I didn't have anything for the auger to feed from. So I kept the fire going by hand feeding coal through the auger feed head using a small shovel and a coffee can. So the fire burned very low several times, then I'd load a lot of coal on again. Several times when I looked through the inspection port I saw a dark row along the steel side, but when I gently poked this, it collapsed, it was dark 'cause the coal had burnt out! Much better than being unburnt coal. I manually shook a few times today , watching what the timer and antrastat were calling for, At least for now, it appears that the fire is burning very completely.

I'm still concerned how the thick compacted 4" layer of ash got 'stuck' in the ash drawer. I don't want this to reoccur.

Anyway today was the day to build the Hopper. It is done, except I would like to line the bottom with a layer of galvanized sheet metal to make it more slippery. It will hold close to a ton, probably around 1500-1600#. It's dimenstions are 4'x3'x2' not counting the tapered 'funnel' portion, I put 300# in the funnel, and it appeared that it still needed another 2-300# to bring it up to the bottom of the rectangular outer perimeter.

Photos:
Hopper.jpg

Basic box, above a 'funnel' feeding the coal to the end of the auger

.JPG | 248.1KB | Hopper.jpg
Hopper1.jpg

inside the box, showing the 'funnel' feed to the auger's feed end

.JPG | 282.3KB | Hopper1.jpg
Hopper2.jpg

complete and supplying coal

.JPG | 261KB | Hopper2.jpg
Hopper3.jpg

Floor supports and coal guides to the auger

.JPG | 299.5KB | Hopper3.jpg

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Nov. 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Looks good, Greg.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Nov. 30, 2007 8:39 am

Looks like it will work well . I don't think you will have to line the bottom with metal .Pea coal should go right down that . Dave

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Dec. 02, 2007 10:03 am

Question:

If the AA is used to heat hot water for a hot water heating system, wouldn't it be considered a furnace? It doesn't actually boil the water, it just heats it. I was under the impression that a boiler did just that-boiled water to create steam and that furnace was the proper name for a unit that heats the water, but stays below the boiling point.

Can the AA be used as an actual boiler? To run a steam heat system?

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 02, 2007 10:12 am

My understanding that the correct semantics is that a pressurized vessel that heats water or water to steam is a boiler, that an unpressurized or presurizable unit is a 'water furnace'.

But the common nomenclature is that a furnace heats AIR and a boiler heats WATER... anything more complicated than that is ''pickin' the fly-sh*t out of the pepper" [old saying from a friend]

Greg L

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Sun. Dec. 02, 2007 11:01 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:Question:

If the AA is used to heat hot water for a hot water heating system, wouldn't it be considered a furnace? It doesn't actually boil the water, it just heats it. I was under the impression that a boiler did just that-boiled water to create steam and that furnace was the proper name for a unit that heats the water, but stays below the boiling point.

Can the AA be used as an actual boiler? To run a steam heat system?
Yes the AA can be used for steam if you look in the manuals that I posted for the AA it gives you the settings and heat load that it can handle as a steam setup.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 10:22 am

LsFarm wrote:My understanding that the correct semantics is that a pressurized vessel that heats water or water to steam is a boiler, that an unpressurized or presurizable unit is a 'water furnace'.

But the common nomenclature is that a furnace heats AIR and a boiler heats WATER... anything more complicated than that is ''pickin' the fly-sh*t out of the pepper" [old saying from a friend]

Greg L
I did some research, a appliance that heats water to produce steam under pressure is called a "boiler", if it heats water but stays below the boiling point it's called a "water heater".
If it heats air for distribution directly or through a system of ducts it's called a "furnace".

So Greg, hows the AA water heater doing? LOL. :D

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 10:35 am

I'll still call it a boiler... Most of the industry does... :D Almost nobody installs steam anymore, so if we all start calling boilers 'water heaters' what are we going to call a domestic water heater?? Too confusing, boiler heats water for heating the house, a furnace heats air for heating the house. A water heater heats water to take a shower, bath, or do the laundry.

As for the AA, I'm away from home right now, and the reports from home tell me that I still have too much unburnt coal in the ashes, but the flue temps are staying in the high 200's, so I'm hopefull that the ash isn't accumulating too much and blocking air to the fire... I'll know better when I pull the drawer out and inspect the ash in there later in the week..

Greg L

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 10:39 am

LsFarm wrote:I'll still call it a boiler... Most of the industry does... :D Almost nobody installs steam anymore, so if we all start calling boilers 'water heaters' what are we going to call a domestic water heater?? Too confusing, boiler heats water for heating the house, a furnace heats air for heating the house. A water heater heats water to take a shower, bath, or do the laundry.

As for the AA, I'm away from home right now, and the reports from home tell me that I still have too much unburnt coal in the ashes, but the flue temps are staying in the high 200's, so I'm hopefull that the ash isn't accumulating too much and blocking air to the fire... I'll know better when I pull the drawer out and inspect the ash in there later in the week..

Greg L

Only kidding, yes it will get too confusing. Besides I like "boiler" better when thinking of the AA.
I'm interested in the problem you have been having with the unburnt coal, please keep us informed when you get back home. As I mentioned before, if I had the option, I would love to have steam heat in this place, instead of hot air. I've lived in places with hot water and steam, I prefer the steam with the hissing air vents and related "comforting" noises (except "water hammer" in the middle of the night).

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Dec. 03, 2007 7:49 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
LsFarm wrote:My understanding that the correct semantics is that a pressurized vessel that heats water or water to steam is a boiler, that an unpressurized or presurizable unit is a 'water furnace'.

Greg L
I did some research, a appliance that heats water to produce steam under pressure is called a "boiler", if it heats water but stays below the boiling point it's called a "water heater".
If it heats air for distribution directly or through a system of ducts it's called a "furnace".

So Greg, hows the AA water heater doing? LOL. :D
I grew up in a house heated by circulating hot water, gas-fired. My father always referred to it as "the furnace". I think that's why I was unsure what it really is. Anyway, my mother still lives there and I was there today. I always check the "furnace" when I'm there, so today I read the spec. plate on the 1951 unit made by "American Radiator and Standard Sanitation Company (American -Standard). It clearly reads "Boiler" on it, the ratings for hot water have figures stamped in the spaces, the spaces with a steam heading are blank. Confused? So am I. All I know is with the exception of the gas control valve and the circulating pump the "boiler" is all original and still functions well after 56 years. So it's a furnace to me, everything else is a boiler. Except domestic hot water heaters, and maybe...

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 04, 2007 8:20 am

If the water is under pressure, it IS a boiler. The word furnace is often used to describe any heating appliance although it is not an accurate description for anything with water in it.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Dec. 04, 2007 9:02 am

Boiler it is then. :)

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 4:14 pm

You did a great job on the pictorial and explaining the system ! It looks like they recycled alot of the armored plating from the tanks after WWII ended. :D

I showed the pictures to Big Jim, our 40+ year man, and he went to the file and pulled out a brochure on the unit. He was familiar with the unit. Maybe because I work with our 520 parts and units every day, I'm going to have to respectfully submit that the 520 would be easier to work on. :(

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 4:46 pm

hmm what do you call my setup? The stoker boiler heats the water in the coil in the furnace and the furnace blows the air into the house. I call the whole deal a "furnace" when talking to my family, as in " I gotta stoke the furnace then i'll be in bed"

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”