Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 260M Disection

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 8:26 pm

I made a trial installation of some of the new or repaired parts to make sure they would work correctly.

I installed the new gratepan rollers and hooked up the grate 'shaker' bellcrank that GregWhite rebuilt for me. I also hooked up the ratchet mechanism that actuates the bellcrank.

The handle of the ratchet mechanism had a lot of slop in it's pivot pin, so I drilled out the bores, and replaced the 1/2" pin with a 9/16" pin.

I'll do some sandblasting on the parts soon and start the painting process.

greg L

Attachments

ratchethandle.jpg

The old pivot pin was badly worn, it now is a size larger and no more slop. This handle can be used to manually 'shake' the grate.

.JPG | 238.7KB | ratchethandle.jpg
bellcrankinstalled.jpg

Temporary trial of the bellcrank.

.JPG | 218.8KB | bellcrankinstalled.jpg

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 10:34 am

Greg, relating to our previous discussion on corrosion protective coatings:

http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/pubs/tm584c.pdf
http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/pubs/3221-69.pdf

This is interesting information based on exposure to an extreme salt environment in 100% humidity (AKA the Florida Coast!). :roll:

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 10:42 am

Thanks Matt, I still haven't decided on which paint I'm going to use. I'm going to buy a needle-scaler tomorrow and then dig out the sandblaster. Between the two I'll see how bad the steel really is. I think either of my paint options will work well. And I own both of them allready!

My building is pretty dry, so I don't think I'll have much continuing corrosion, I just need to seal off the surfaces. The old location was from what you guys said, pretty much a swamp!!

Greg L.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 11:25 am

One more interesting twist to the mix, nansulate paint that actually retains heat better than normal paint! Of course using what is on hand is best price option!

http://www.nansulate.com/thermal_insulation_data.htm

Have fun with the blasting and scaling effort, I have done over 12 sq. ft. since yesterday morning. Ohhhhhh my aching back. :lol:

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Oct. 24, 2007 7:05 pm

I've been grinding, welding, fitting, and finally painting the base for the boiler. I took it out to the boiler room to postion it and see just how level my concrete floor was. I will only need to raise one end of the base by about 1/2". Not too bad.

I did a trial assembly to check fit and auger tube dimensions for the coal bin that will be in the back right corner of the boiler room. In the photo I have already removed the motor and fan mount. But I did have the whole drive mechanism installed an running.

Forum member europachris stopped by on his way to a business meeting, and we ran the boiler's motor and mechanisms... it is pretty 'energetic' !! I'd say the auger rotates at around 20-40 rpm. [EDIT: it's about 15 rpm] Much faster than I had expected. It was quite interesting to watch all the rollers follow ecentrics, move levers, click over ratchet teeth, move the grate back and forth.

I hope to get a coat of paint on the boiler itself this weekend and get the unit in place and maybe even plumbed by Nov 3rd or 4th.

Chris found the serial number and date stamped on the end of the boiler: it was built in 1950.... the boiler is older than I am. No wonder it needed so much rebuilding!! :lol: :oops:

Greg L

Attachments

trial2.jpg

This side will be next to the concrete wall of the boiler room, about 15" away for working room

.JPG | 154.8KB | trial2.jpg
trial.jpg

I had already removed the fan mount, motor and belt drive when I took this photo.

.JPG | 267.1KB | trial.jpg
Location.jpg

entrance door is behind me, the coal bin will be in the back right corner, the tubing will be inside the coal bin. The ash pan door is open on the left.

.JPG | 187.8KB | Location.jpg
Last edited by LsFarm on Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Oct. 24, 2007 7:17 pm

LsFarm wrote: Chris found the serial number and date stamped on the end of the boiler: it was built in 1950.... the boiler is older than I am. No wonder it needed so much rebuilding!! :lol: :oops:
Greg L
No kidding! I thought *I* had a project with my Keystoker rebuild. HAH! At least mine didn't require fabrication of new parts and "skin grafts" to rebuild corroded and worn away steel!

Nevertheless, I'm sure you are going to be totally "stoked" :P when you fire it up the first time and make some heat! Good thing it's in your outbuilding, as that thing will be pretty noisy, I'm guessing, even with a new motor or new bearings in the existing motor. Just the coal clanking around in the auger tube will be pretty noisy.

I picked up my Simpson PelletVent PRO today and choked at the $$$$, but it's sure some sweet stuff. It plugs right onto the DV unit and will really make for a clean (and safe) setup. Got a nice discount on it from the local shop, so I can't complain. Hope to hack the hole in the concrete this weekend and get the unit all hooked up and ready to make some heat.

Chris

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 24, 2007 9:11 pm

LsFarm wrote:I'd say the auger rotates at around 20-40 rpm.

Chris found the serial number and date stamped on the end of the boiler: it was built in 1950.... the boiler is older than I am. No wonder it needed so much rebuilding!! :lol: :oops:
Rumour has it you can reduce its speed by 1/2 and it will run fine, it is just beating itself up at that speed.

Hey watch that, I was built in '50 too. :)

That monster is looking good now!

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Nov. 01, 2007 11:21 pm

Well it's painted, and moved into it's designated location. I had to make new feet for the base because the original ones were rusted away, and the floor in my building is not very level.

The boiler is now level, and bolted to the floor. I had to leave more room between the boiler and the wall than I wanted to, but I have to have room to work on the boiler, auger, plumbing, and the electronic controls.

The coal bin will be in the back right corner, I'll build the bin around the Pex pipe where it goes through the wall.

Next: Plumbing and building the bin, wiring and the chimney install.

Greg L

Attachments

finallocation.jpg
.JPG | 240.6KB | finallocation.jpg
movingin.jpg
.JPG | 275.2KB | movingin.jpg
readytoroll.jpg
.JPG | 265.1KB | readytoroll.jpg

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 1:35 am

Well Greg She is looking Pretty :)
Alot Prettier then She looked when we
Pulled her out of her first home :shock:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 7:48 am

Greg, it looks like you need another tractor. :)

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 8:46 am

:lol: :lol: :o :P

Actually I have another 'farm' tractor for running the Hay equipment. It's a JohnDeere 2630, a 70HP farm/utility tractor. Good unit. I have other farm tracked and wheeled pieces. I use them all. I'm gonna start another thread on this subject.

Greg.

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 12:47 pm

Looks nice and clean you did what I wanted to do but just ran out of time. oh well next year. :roll:

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Big difference, U235, your's is making HEAT !! :o I've a lot of head scratching to do to get it plumbed in with the other coal boiler, so the current boiler can stay in 'standby'.

I didn't do the original plumbing with the idea of adding an additional boiler. so a lot of pipes and runs need to be moved.... More decisions and cut/fit etc.

Your statement of burning what 8 tons of coal really excites me. I burned double that last year, learning, experimenting etc. with my current boiler.

Greg L.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 5:55 pm

That boiler is almost as purty as the pile of coal! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Matthaus on Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

greg white

Post by greg white » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 6:09 am

Greg,
Looking good ,just in the nick of time too! Snow next week. :)
GW

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”