No Draft...

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Nov. 25, 2010 10:03 pm

CoalBurner5 wrote: ......

Would it make a big difference to move the stove pipe and if I do decide to move the stovepipe for a more direct route outside the house, where should I locate the barometric damper?

GIve me feedback for which would be the best location.
Already been answered by member Berlin in this thread.
Berlin wrote:no need to be overwhelmed, all you need to do is raise the height of the stack with tile AND brick to be about 1' above the closest peak. Next, run the smoke pipe between the boiler and the stack at around a 45º angle so it takes the shortest route between the boiler and chimney, then move the baro from the bull end of that "T" to a "T" in the middle of the straight run of smoke pipe.
Rick

CoalBurner5

Post by CoalBurner5 » Fri. Nov. 26, 2010 4:59 pm

okay guys so I've been playing with my draft and although my draft meter does not say .04 I feel really comfortable that it is plenty strong enough. I can hear it whistling and it blows out a flame from a candle lighter.

However the smell is still present. I think that it is with the auger pipe. I'm curious would if it would be okay to drill more holes in the auger pipe and if so how far from the end of the pipe should they be? Can I extend the holes down the pipe towards the coal or should all the holes be located in the pot? Is it okay to have the holes in the firebox/ash area?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Fri. Nov. 26, 2010 5:04 pm

I would let the pipe alone before it breaks off. The smell is NOT coming from the holes in the pipe.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Did you try the candle trick on the fire door with the stoker running?

Also, in one of your threads you were advised to check the burn plates for blocked air holes...I think that needs to be the one of the next steps.

CoalBurner5

Post by CoalBurner5 » Sat. Nov. 27, 2010 12:13 am

what do you mean check the burn plates for blocked holes? are you saying that the holes in the grates could be causing this problem?

I never checked those.

any other suggestions?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 27, 2010 12:32 am

CoalBurner5 wrote:what do you mean check the burn plates for blocked holes? are you saying that the holes in the grates could be causing this problem?

I never checked those.

any other suggestions?
Yes, if the holes in the burn plates (grates) are plugged guess where the air from the blower will try to go...

CoalBurner5

Post by CoalBurner5 » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Alrigt well I've been running for 3 days straight with NO SMELL. I think the main problem was the height of the chimney like you guys said. I took it up 3'6'', and will probably go up another 1 foot. So far so good.

Thanks again to you all for your help.

My next goal is to clean it up and get a fresh coat of paint on it next time I can.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Nov. 30, 2010 8:29 am

Did you straighten out your pipes from the burner to the thimble ???

Rick

CoalBurner5

Post by CoalBurner5 » Tue. Nov. 30, 2010 8:59 am

I have not straightened it out. I'm still trying to decide if I want to or not because of cleanout reasons. I can tell you that I moved the barometric damper over to where the cleanout was at the top. I'm not sure if it did anything. But I've tried the candle trick at all four locations:
1) 1st cleanout T
2) barometric Damper
3) out the back T at the collar of boiler
4) at the front door of boiler

all seem to be pulling the same.

I have a mason coming to stone up the chimney and I think I have enough stone to add 1 more foot of liner up the chimney, so obviously I will do that also.

CoalBurner5

Post by CoalBurner5 » Sun. Dec. 05, 2010 8:22 pm

Okay guys, i'm pretty sure it's fixed and running. No smell for over 2 weeks... Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

I got a mason and we worked today on bricking up the chimney, however the snow/ice on the roof made it way to dangerous to do today. We used salt and ashes on the roof and still couldn't stand on it. So we are holding off to get scaffolding to do it right. I'm then going to extend it another foot or two.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”