Which Stove, the AHS Coal Gun or the Axeman?

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. May. 11, 2007 7:28 am

Bob wrote:The only input to the Fuji controller is from the thermocouple probe in the ash. It seems to me that in order to implement a control system to avoid overshoot you would also need to sense the boiler water temperature and the rate of change of the boiler water temperature. As I understand it that would be three separate inputs being monitored. According to the specs for the PXR3 series controller there is only one input.
Yes, there is only one input. But the Fuji controller is a Proportional-Integral-Differential (PID) controller which when programmed appropriately will look at the temperature rate of change and use it for control input. A much different concept than just using it as a set point thermostat.

MXer

Post by MXer » Sat. May. 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Boy, We are getting way off topic here, but some really intestering stuff none the less. This thread has me thinking about how you could take the heat from the boiler and use it to cool your home during the summer... Everone say Uhhh? :shock:
Create heat to cool your home... What is this guy thinking?
But think about this... How does the refigator in my camper cool the fridge by using a gas flame. I know this is way off topic, but I just had to share the thought.

pret

Post by pret » Thu. May. 17, 2007 8:00 am

Folks, it has been a pleasure interacting with you in this information gathering stage I am in. I have learned a lot and anticipate a greater curve come Fall. I just wanted to formally state my appreciation for those that took the time to respond to my posts. The professionalism is superb.

I look forward to the exchange in the near future.

Take care,

Pret

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. May. 17, 2007 9:43 am

pret wrote:Does anyone use their S-130 throughout the summer to heat domestic hot water? I read the post on not using the domestic hot water coil one can purchase for the S-130 but using an indirect hot water heater... but I'm having a hard time justifying the 1100 dollar difference.

If you are using the S-130 for domestic hot water, how much coal can I expect to use over the summer for a 5 member family - all small children under the age of 6.Pret
I'm currently using the last 400-500 lbs. of my coal on domestic hot water heating only. I've turned my aquastat down to 200 degrees. I'm frankly surprised by how little coal it's burning. I don't have good data but it's likely less than 20 lbs a day. I tried burning coal through the summer the first year I had my AHS but didn't continue when it was using way to much coal. I hadn't turned down the aquastat but just left it at the winter setting. My current two week test has convinced me using my system for summer domestic hot water production is very practical and likely less costly than using my oil fired boiler. I will be installing the Honeywell outdoor temperature sensing aquatstat after I use up all my coal. This has an setting for maintaining minimum boiler water temperature for domestic hot water use. While intended for oil boiler use it may also be an alternate control to the Fuji controller for keeping the coal fire alive. I'll report my experience at the end of the summer.

pret

Post by pret » Thu. May. 17, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks Yanche... the data is helpful enough. I will plan to use the AHS unit for my domestic hot water, as long as it doesn't produce too much heat and noise in my basement. It will be in a separate room room devoted to heating, so that will help.

pret

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”