AXEMAN 101 *Class Is in Session!*

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Nov. 17, 2009 12:07 pm

coaledsweat wrote: Is it normal for these to just run 40-50 seconds? I figured with the blower being detuned and all, it would have to run a while to make some heat. What would it run with a 2800 RPM blower, 8-10 seconds? Is this normal?
My 130 probably runs for 3-5 minutes at a whack when bringing temps from 130 to 155 or so.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Nov. 17, 2009 1:19 pm

I know you want the auger package, but how much headroom do you have? Your unit works pretty slick as it is, however you could use the hopper with an auger at that height.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Nov. 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Whistlenut, I take it you're talking to me? I have all sorts of headroom, my ceilings are 13' 9" high. For this year I'll probably stick to bags. I have no problem with the hopper, it works like a charm. If I come across an auger that's not expensive next year I'll grab it but for now I don't have a bin anyway.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Nov. 17, 2009 5:27 pm

I understand your situation. Next time I'm over I will stop for a look/see. I think the hopper is a very good idea, and adding an auger to the hopper makes more sense that reconstructing the missing pieces on your auger system.
You are now aware of how easy it is to fill the hopper, take out the ashes.....blah,blah,blah.
You just might like the situation you are working in. I have some of mine each way, but the hopper is less aggravation with an auger than the AA factory setup. Principally due to the issues with plugged tubes at the entrance....wet coal/fines issues. No problem with the hopper, but if you ever have to dig out a few tons to get at the doghouse, you will be a POed camper!! Yes, we all did it a few times, but make damned sure it doesn't happen again, ever! :idea: :D

It is the only way Keystoker makes a Boiler or Furnace......and they didn't just fall out of the Potato Truck!
It is the way Alaska, some Baker's, Harman, Hitzer, Leisure Line, Reading, and so on, make theirs. Glancing between the lines here I hope. Self feeding is wonderful, but overrated.

The 10 Million BTU Bio Mass boiler down the street is a masterpiece itself, but the auto feed is a piece of 's'. The engineer is from PA, perhaps a forum member, and he has revised the feed, rebuilt it this summer, and still it is a POS!
Imaging digging 30 tons of hardwood chips out of your way with an excavator.....inside an inclined bin about 60 feet long and 16 feet deep. Then try to work on a clogged feed mechanism, all bent up and jammed.....and it's a 7 digit number to buy this thing???!! Greenies UNITE!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All that was necessary was to keep the delivery in straight line, and the boiler would have been very happy.

KISS! Or KISS,Ahole. If you are reading this bubba, come up and take another look. The last check might be delayed for a while.

gregolma

Post by gregolma » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 11:29 am

I concur with earlier comments regarding ashing up when lowering fan speeds. I tried this and my 130 was coated with a layer of ash. I'd stick with the original setup.

The only improvement that I think might make sense is a ceramic heat shield under the fan. I think AHS has done this. An awful lot of heat is lost there.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”