RE-Converting a Gentleman Janitor, Back to Coal of Course

NEastUnlmtd
Stoker Coal Boiler: GJ-EFM Hybrid
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Sun. Sep. 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Hello all,
This is my first post, I have found great info. here. I see a GJ recon. or two and I am wondering if anyone can give me any insight into taking mine back to coal.

I have a hand fired Harman and it suits me but with the GJ just sitting there, all tied in to my radiators it is tempting. The boiler appears to be operational still. It has sat for 15 months now cold. It was converted to OIL at some point by the PO and it is missing its original guts. I scoped out the base yesterday and pulled out a bunch of debris from the oil gun "install"\hack job.

I am also wondering if any other mechanism can be placed in there?

Or finally, if I could put a HW coil on my Mark II and circulate to that boiler and beyond. Not the best solution but intriguing.

I am in Frackville, I know a junk man or two but just missed out on some parts. We are looking around some more and a few Wanted posts might be in order.

I know experience in these matters is vital and greatly appreciate any guidance/words of warning.

Thanks,
Jason

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Sep. 06, 2009 7:18 pm

NEastUnlmtd wrote:Hello all,
This is my first post, I have found great info. here. I see a GJ recon. or two and I am wondering if anyone can give me any insight into taking mine back to coal.

I have a hand fired Harman and it suits me but with the GJ just sitting there, all tied in to my radiators it is tempting. The boiler appears to be operational still. It has sat for 15 months now cold. It was converted to OIL at some point by the PO and it is missing its original guts. I scoped out the base yesterday and pulled out a bunch of debris from the oil gun "install"\hack job.

I am also wondering if any other mechanism can be placed in there?

Or finally, if I could put a HW coil on my Mark II and circulate to that boiler and beyond. Not the best solution but intriguing.

I am in Frackville, I know a junk man or two but just missed out on some parts. We are looking around some more and a few Wanted posts might be in order.

I know experience in these matters is vital and greatly appreciate any guidance/words of warning.

Thanks,
Jason
PM Both Members Scrapper 23 jr & Matthaus Both have parts Scrapper would be closer to you

memberlist.php?first_char=s&start=90

memberlist.php?&first_char=m#memberlist

NEastUnlmtd

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Sun. Sep. 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Ok thanks.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Sep. 06, 2009 9:59 pm

I have a complete GJ boiler, apart and not in service at this time, PM me if you need photos of the stoker mechanism or any other info.

NEastUnlmtd

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Mon. Sep. 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:I have a complete GJ boiler, apart and not in service at this time, PM me if you need photos of the stoker mechanism or any other info.
I found a few threads with pics. I don't know if it will be worth my while to search out a pot etc and get it back to burning coal.
Any ideas on the rigging of another brand of mechanisms under the boiler? I am probably limited to a GJ setup right?

mike

Post by mike » Mon. Sep. 07, 2009 7:48 pm

The best thing you could do is get a GJ pot and stick it back in. I'm running one for three years now trouble free. They are simple, quiet, and reliable. I think if your having trouble getting a GJ pot you could proably put a EFM pot in easy enough though.

NEastUnlmtd

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Mon. Sep. 07, 2009 10:36 pm

I think this will happen one way or another. I reached out today and have a few leads. It will be weird mothballing my Mark II though, only 1 season on it. All for the best. I can save it for an addition to the house.

NEastUnlmtd

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Wed. Sep. 09, 2009 2:39 pm

Wanted! ;)

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Sep. 10, 2009 12:29 am

Ok Ok! :P :lol: I have a few more GJ Stoker Assemblies, PM me and we'll see what we can work out. :)

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Sep. 10, 2009 12:38 am

Matthaus wrote:Ok Ok! :P :lol: I have a few more GJ Stoker Assemblies, PM me and we'll see what we can work out. :)
He has already has gotten your Number some little birdy gave him it :whistle:

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Sep. 10, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks Jay, I knew I could count on you! ;)

NEastUnlmtd

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Thu. Sep. 10, 2009 9:40 am

PM sent, Thanks again for the replies.

NEastUnlmtd

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Mon. Sep. 21, 2009 12:55 pm

So I dug up someone locally with miscellaneous EFM core parts for me. I am going to look them over today and purchase. Dusty, rusty pics to come ---maybe.

The GJ boiler I have might just be better suited to an EFM install. It is a 1 piece unit, base and boiler are all one. That is what I said, yes. No seams between base and top area. Believe it or not. And it is narrow.
The width is 23in., length is 29, and it sits about 50in. at the highest point of a round-top drum, 1 piece.
I got in touch with anyone who would listen in my search for parts and advice and I don't remember one of them that admitted having experience with a a 1 piece GJ. Thats my luck as usual, the obscurist of the obscure lands in my cellar. :D

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Sep. 21, 2009 8:20 pm

You really should post some pictures of the "beast". It sounds too good to be true. Sounds like a keystoker or a Van Wert. What does Dan have to say? ;) :) :)

NEastUnlmtd

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Mon. Sep. 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Bad pics but you get the idea

No seams on the side just big plates with 8 fasteners.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”