The Experiment Worked

Stoker Coal Boilers automatically feed the coal and have controls and pumps just like any conventions boiler. They are intended to be used as a primary heat and often have domestic hot water coils as an added bonus. They can be set up independently or in dual sytem with your existing oil/gas boiler. They can accommodate both hot water base board or steam plumbing.
mwcougar
Stove/Furnace Make: ahs 130 heating 3700sq ft

Post Sat. Apr. 11, 2009 10:53 am

tried a experiment.... with my ahs-130 :) I got tired of trying to seperate my tenants dogs, dog waste from the coal.... guess what it burns.. :P along with dirt and grass and twiggs. what every I rake around the 45 ton pile goes in the hopper. and it burns up fine..... my be on the something here... hmmmm.....
center of Bradford county pa

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Sat. Apr. 11, 2009 10:57 am

I'm not familiar with the AHS that much but I know the AA's with the augers didn't like coal with a lot of fines in it. The other issue is any mechanism. Raking up a bunch of debris around a pile of coal and putting it through a EFM would be sacrilege because you'll inevitably pick up something that is too big to go through the worm and end up breaking shear pins.

How or if that applies to the AHS unit I don't know.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

mwcougar
Stove/Furnace Make: ahs 130 heating 3700sq ft

Post Sat. Apr. 11, 2009 11:14 am

ahs just has a pure gravity flow hopper. about any thing that can get down the 5 inch tube to the fire pot will burn.... as long as the entrance to the 5 inch tube doesnt get bridged. Had the happen with to pair of prunners :shock: don't ask............
center of Bradford county pa

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

009to090
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Post Sat. Apr. 11, 2009 11:19 am

mwcougar wrote:tried a experiment.... with my ahs-130 :) I got tired of trying to seperate my tenants dogs, .
Whats the BTU rating of a dog these days? :D :D :D
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post Sat. Apr. 11, 2009 11:21 am

The AHS with a hopper is a gravity fed design. Whatever you put in the hopper will make it down to the combustion pot. If it can burn it will. If not it will just be removed by the grate action. What's the size limit? My guess would be about 2" for something that doesn't burn. Anything larger might have a problem getting wedged on the grate. For things that do burn, if it will go down the funnel and the angled elbow it will burn. My limit guess would be a 4" wooden stick. I've put canceled checks in my hopper as a way to destroy them. I wouldn't do it again. They burned up just fine but some of the paper like ash was sucked into the boiler tubes by the combustion blower.
Yanche
Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Stoker Boiler burning Anthracite Pea Coal

PC 12-47E
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Estate Heatrola, Jotul 507

Post Sat. Apr. 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi Yanche, How would the AHS run with NUT? Do you think it might bridge in the Hopper neck?

PC12
Glenwood "Modern Oak #116"
Fuller & Warren "Art Stewart #14" Baseburner
Jotul "507"
Gibraltar "CFS" brass doors

Visit Alternate Heating Sytems

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post Sat. Apr. 11, 2009 3:24 pm

PC 12-47E wrote:How would the AHS run with NUT?
I'll venture a guess that it would burn in an emergency, especially if it were cold weather, but, the AA & AHS are designed in such a way that if burning nut it would allow more air to pass through the spaces between the chunks of coal. I'm guessing it would make heat at a different rate and that might lead to issues.
I've thrown a few handfuls of nut in my AA and that's OK, but I think a boiler full of it wouldn't be advised.
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

PatrickAHS
Stove/Furnace Make: Alternate Heating Systems LLC

Post Mon. Apr. 13, 2009 9:51 am

PC 12-47E wrote:Hi Yanche, How would the AHS run with NUT? Do you think it might bridge in the Hopper neck?

PC12
Nut would bridge.

PatrickAHS
Stove/Furnace Make: Alternate Heating Systems LLC

Post Mon. Apr. 13, 2009 9:53 am

mwcougar wrote:tried a experiment.... with my ahs-130 :) I got tired of trying to seperate my tenants dogs, dog waste from the coal.... guess what it burns.. :P along with dirt and grass and twiggs. what every I rake around the 45 ton pile goes in the hopper. and it burns up fine..... my be on the something here... hmmmm.....
The long range effects would have to be researched, but the our general thought is that there would be possibility of negative effects due to untested combustion processes.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic and Steam)”