Electricity Cost for the AHS-130

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Wed. Feb. 18, 2009 5:24 pm

What is the approx est electric cost for running the ahs-130 boiler all day everyday during the cold winter months. Also what would it cost for electric during the summer months to heat hot water with the dhw coil? any information would be helpful.

jmmazzy

Post by jmmazzy » Wed. Feb. 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Don"t know and don"t care. Hy electric bill hasn't increased to notice any differance, but the heat and comfort has.

Mazzy

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Mon. Feb. 23, 2009 5:54 pm

doesnt anyone own an ahs-130?

Patrick do you know what the electric cost is the run the ahs-130. some information would be helpful.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Mon. Feb. 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Depends upon what you are heating; boiler runtime is not too high. I'm guessing that 10 to 12 hours a day would be a good 'cold weather' run time, and perhaps 4 to 5 hrs a day spring and fall.
Are you talking about a unit with an auger or just a hopper?
I think we need to know where you are going to it, the electric rate, etc.
My guess is 35/month is winter, half that in spring fall, less in summer. There isn't much to run, the fan draws about 6 amps, the ashing motor about 4 amps. Neither runs much, so your history will have to be developed this spring and next fall.
Patrick will probably have a good coal usage number per hour of run time. Brock, install a simple runtime meter on the fan blower, then there will be no guessing about how long it ran.

OK Patrick, or any others, how much coal per hour for an AHS 130?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Feb. 23, 2009 9:26 pm

My buddy has an AHS. I think it draws about 8 amps. (960 watts) During the real cold spell his ran 6 to 8 hours a day. We have hour meters on our boilers. For some off reason my AA runs about half that time. (and draws 5 amps instead of 8)

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Mon. Feb. 23, 2009 9:38 pm

Freddy wrote:My buddy has an AHS. I think it draws about 8 amps. (960 watts) During the real cold spell his ran 6 to 8 hours a day. We have hour meters on our boilers. For some off reason my AA runs about half that time. (and draws 5 amps instead of 8)
thank you for the response. that is exactly what I was looking for.

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Mon. Feb. 23, 2009 9:40 pm

whistlenut wrote:Depends upon what you are heating; boiler runtime is not too high. I'm guessing that 10 to 12 hours a day would be a good 'cold weather' run time, and perhaps 4 to 5 hrs a day spring and fall.
Are you talking about a unit with an auger or just a hopper?
I think we need to know where you are going to it, the electric rate, etc.
My guess is 35/month is winter, half that in spring fall, less in summer. There isn't much to run, the fan draws about 6 amps, the ashing motor about 4 amps. Neither runs much, so your history will have to be developed this spring and next fall.
Patrick will probably have a good coal usage number per hour of run time. Brock, install a simple runtime meter on the fan blower, then there will be no guessing about how long it ran.

OK Patrick, or any others, how much coal per hour for an AHS 130?
i would use just a hopper, and I think the electric rate is .12 kwh ? maybe

im not even sure how to install a simple runtime meter on the fan? I would like to know how

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 4:11 am

I bought a handful of hour meters off ebay. They have two wires, 120V AC. Just wire them so they run when the fan runs. The fan has two wires, the clock has two wires, just wirenut them parallel.

PatrickAHS

Post by PatrickAHS » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 9:28 am

At 60% we tested the S260 and came up with 8-9 kWh. The 130 would use less energy per that run time, but their are a lot of variables involved in determining how many kWh you will use.

PatrickAHS

Post by PatrickAHS » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 9:33 am

Freddy wrote:My buddy has an AHS. I think it draws about 8 amps. (960 watts) During the real cold spell his ran 6 to 8 hours a day. We have hour meters on our boilers. For some off reason my AA runs about half that time. (and draws 5 amps instead of 8)
The S260 we just tested 15 min. ago only drew 6.7 amps and 115 volts (770.5 watts) for the fan. The grate motor pulls about 1.5 amps.

Bob
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite

Post by Bob » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 9:36 am

I didn't notice any significant change in my electric usage when I started using my AHS 130. Because it replaced the existing oil boiler I concluded that the electric usage was approximately the same as the oil boiler.

I know that doesn't answer your question but short of instumenting the installation it is the best I can do.

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 3:32 pm

Bob wrote:I didn't notice any significant change in my electric usage when I started using my AHS 130. Because it replaced the existing oil boiler I concluded that the electric usage was approximately the same as the oil boiler.

I know that doesn't answer your question but short of instumenting the installation it is the best I can do.
actually that does answer my question. I should of thought about that before. the electric should be close to the same since you are replacing one boiler with another.

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Freddy wrote:I bought a handful of hour meters off ebay. They have two wires, 120V AC. Just wire them so they run when the fan runs. The fan has two wires, the clock has two wires, just wirenut them parallel.
thank you for the good idea freddy I will have to give that a try once I have my boiler.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”