Chimney draft

Jkohanski
Stoker Coal Boiler: ahs s260
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: fuel oil

Post by Jkohanski » Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 6:26 pm

Fire looks good, just like mine. You definitely fixed some issues with damper which is good. Like lighting said, wonder if that coal is more sub bit. Keep us posted after high wind day.

MINO

Post by MINO » Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 12:18 am

Jkohanski wrote:
Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 6:26 pm
Fire looks good, just like mine. You definitely fixed some issues with damper which is good. Like lighting said, wonder if that coal is more sub bit. Keep us posted after high wind day.
Will do !!! Has to be the coal because my grate temp is significantly lower! And fire looks perfect!!! Lesson learned cheaper ain’t always better! Now to see how it does on windy day and that should be pretty much it..”fingers crossed”

MINO

Post by MINO » Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 4:25 pm

Even tho the night is young I will update if anything changes… I believe 100 percent it was the coal I was burning…. Wind is crazy bouncing the baro and with my stack temp with bad coal at and calm out the idle was at 170 and now it’s 149 with new blashack coal fire is staying put and well established… so I can say the over the fire draft is sufficient and draft isn’t pulling air thru the firebed like I previous thought …. Grate temperatures are way lower than previously observed … 190-200’s to 170 now ashing temp actually at 130 from 150 and it’s dialed in …. Problem is there is 4 + ton left lol… I will suffer thru another ton or two until I can get 2 ton squeezed into the bin and in hopes of it mixing….I will just have to keep an eye on bad coal until it’s burned thru … never made it up the feed tube but right to it….so I feel at ease knowing the problem is solved… literally over a month of dealing with this!

Attachments

C450A63C-F27E-4287-BF5F-90198A102045.jpeg

Fire right after a heat call

Jkohanski

Post by Jkohanski » Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 9:04 pm

Mix it best you can. Glad you got it going a okay.

MINO

Post by MINO » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 9:16 am

Jkohanski wrote:
Wed. Nov. 30, 2022 9:04 pm
Mix it best you can. Glad you got it going a okay.
I’m going to have to do something!!! This morning ing fire looked great ash looks great…..grate temp is good and manometer readings are good and it was one hell of a night with wind and all is fine!!! So much for cheaper coal or better deal coal…. Lesson learned

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 9:55 am

Great! Nice discovery!

Next up…new spin on creative coal burning for that 4 ton existing load. Hopefully without being laborious.

Keep in mind to work smarter…not harder!

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 1:25 pm

What was the cheaper coal?

MINO

Post by MINO » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 1:51 pm

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 9:55 am
Great! Nice discovery!

Next up…new spin on creative coal burning for that 4 ton existing load. Hopefully without being laborious.

Keep in mind to work smarter…not harder!
I'm kind of on the fence to just burn it before loading more to mix??? Im not sure yet even tho the fire got high it never crept up the coal feed tube... I will see how it mixes as its fed into the hopper in the next day or so and decide then....as long as i know what the culprit was because it was trying my sanity

MINO

Post by MINO » Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 1:53 pm

nut wrote:
Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 1:25 pm
What was the cheaper coal?
GlennBurn/Harmony at 205 a ton was the problem child im sure on a underfed stoker or carpet burner it would be ok but not in a coal gun or axe........it just burns quick and hard to control

Jkohanski

Post by Jkohanski » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 5:31 pm

MINO wrote:
Thu. Dec. 01, 2022 1:51 pm
I'm kind of on the fence to just burn it before loading more to mix??? Im not sure yet even tho the fire got high it never crept up the coal feed tube... I will see how it mixes as its fed into the hopper in the next day or so and decide then....as long as i know what the culprit was because it was trying my sanity
Sell it by the can next to someone selling wood bundles as a fire starter, lol.

MINO

Post by MINO » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 8:02 pm

Jkohanski wrote:
Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 5:31 pm
Sell it by the can next to someone selling wood bundles as a fire starter, lol.
How bout it!!! I will report that now that the other coal now has made it into the ash and burn pot it’s back to burning like *censored*…. Fire to the top and idle grate temps went from 170 to sitting at 215 lol…. I’m kind of afraid to mix it I sooner keep an eye on it and burn thru it during cold months but man I tell ya hard to believe I went thru all this grief until I found out the coal was trash!!! Well ….in our type boiler probably be ok in an underfed or carpet burner

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 8:57 pm

From what I've learned about anthracite is that it has a particular "range" of fixed carbon, volatile matter and ash content. I'm guessing that the coal you have has a very high percentage of volatile matter.. it actually wants to burn. It's probably very good heat producing coal. It might just be a matter of getting creative to use it in your boiler, I wouldn't give up on it 🙂

MINO

Post by MINO » Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 9:58 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 8:57 pm
From what I've learned about anthracite is that it has a particular "range" of fixed carbon, volatile matter and ash content. I'm guessing that the coal you have has a very high percentage of volatile matter.. it actually wants to burn. It's probably very good heat producing coal. It might just be a matter of getting creative to use it in your boiler, I wouldn't give up on it 🙂
I agree!!! Believe me it’s going to get used….. I would say more on the volatile side… the ash is very powdery not too much granola ash… I will keep an eye on it as it gets used… but your right I wouldn’t say garbage but more not suitable for my application… hand fired where you add I’m sure it would perform well … but it just burns way quicker than other suppliers …. To the point it’s a whole chamber of fire… lol

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 12:30 pm

MINO wrote:
Fri. Dec. 02, 2022 9:58 pm
I agree!!! Believe me it’s going to get used….. I would say more on the volatile side… the ash is very powdery not too much granola ash… I will keep an eye on it as it gets used… but your right I wouldn’t say garbage but more not suitable for my application… hand fired where you add I’m sure it would perform well … but it just burns way quicker than other suppliers …. To the point it’s a whole chamber of fire… lol
I would try the Glen Burn coal again when the weather gets cold and your boiler is running more frequently.

MINO

Post by MINO » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 12:44 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 12:30 pm
I would try the Glen Burn coal again when the weather gets cold and your boiler is running more frequently.
At the time of 4 1/2 tons left it will be with me thru December January and most likely February…. Just reluctant to mix …. Even tho fire climbs and drops down to grate with this coal it never makes the hopper tube(into it) so I will continue to burn it I’m just glad I figured out what my problem was…. I was at a loss for weeks

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”