axeman anderson wiring

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Jan. 22, 2020 6:38 pm

dbsuz05 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 22, 2020 2:42 pm
Good idea. I have it twisted in the way that makes the v belt go into the 2 pulleys. Is that right?
Glad to see you got it running! :yes:

I couldn't really tell from the video if the belt was on the right way of not. It does look loose enough though. Here is a video with the belt on the right way.

I ran my first one with the belt on the wrong way for a couple weeks. I always wondered why the garage smelled like burnt rubber. Then I realized you could put the belt on the other way and it didn't rub against itself. No more smell!

The shipping bracket is in this video. I also didn't know it needed to be removed after placing the boiler. The motor/fan bracket sits on an adjustable rubber foot on the floor. The foot has an adjustment to set the fan spacing.

-Don

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 12:34 am

Stokerdon. I had hoped for your video to show endplay adjustment with a push of your finger for fan belt! Mine just might need some new belts. Probably worn and making a chugging sound I’m thinking after hearing yours! Any idea of belt numbers?!! For my fan gearbox shipping bracket.. it is welded on! Ain’t comin off kinda thing!! I remembered watching this video at one point an not knowing enough to make anything of it. Until now! Thanks!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 7:19 am

Buy the green AG belts when you replace them. They cost a little more but they're bulletproof and resist heat far better.

Egghead
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Other Heating: Outdoor wood furnace oil boiler

Post by Egghead » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Not sure what a green ag belt is by brand but I have access to a really good hardware store and for the flexibility issue with the auger belts needs we came up with this Carlisle Kevlar belt made for lawn mowers ( ag belt). The numbers on the belt shown are for the 34” approximately because Kevlar belts aren’t exact from what I was told. I’ve been running a 33” and 34” for the fan if I remember correctly because I had some chain issues and made some adjustments. Axeman says they are both 33” but special order. I now have 2 of those also but why fix what isn’t broken. I paid about 8$ per belt for the Carlisle belts vs 11$ a piece from axeman.

Attachments

Egghead

Post by Egghead » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Ok no numbers. The first picture is the Carlisle 33”. The second is what AA sent me.

Attachments

Egghead

Post by Egghead » Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 7:51 pm

Seems I can’t handle technology. The first one is the axeman Anderson replacement and the second is the Carlisle.

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 7:56 am

Egghead wrote:
Thu. Jan. 23, 2020 7:51 pm
Seems I can’t handle technology. The first one is the axeman Anderson replacement and the second is the Carlisle.
Ya that’s ok! My techie side isn’t real good either. I mostly use the “keep it simple stupid“ method! Thank you for pics with the belt and numbers and end play adjustments. I will try and order these belts from my shop where I work.

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 5:56 pm

So now that the boiler is installed... there isn’t much else to do with it! Just some oil in the bearings once an awhile. After 4 days I had 3/4 full ash pan to dump. I am still burning coal in upstairs boiler. Only because It gives me something to do though! Check it once in 24 hours. My piping setup with 3 boilers constant circulation is working just how I envisioned it would. Run handfed as easy as I want then Axeman takes up the slack. And if house temp would ever go below 65 because of possible part failure. Oil boiler will then take over. In essence it is “my” perfect system. Thanks so far for everyone’s guidance it has all been valuable information. Now let’s get some 0 degree temps!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Glad things are going like you want them to! :yes:

Hummm... That's interesting, the oil boiler is in the loop so if all else fails, the oil burner kicks on. NICE!

-Don

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 8:15 pm

I dont think you'll ever need to worry about being cold..

Egghead

Post by Egghead » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Always nice to have a backup. I have our oil boiler isolated by valves but with a part failure I can cut off the coal and heat with oil if needed. Funny me and my brother were joking about needing one of those polar vortex’s to see what this little axeman is made of. Everything so far this winter has been too easy for it.

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 7:13 am

Had a glitch last night. Came home to find the coal was not feeding up the auger! Thursday evening I loaded 1 ton into bin. The coal had some ice on it but nothing terrible so I thought. As days went by the wetness soaked through to the bottom where auger enters bin and bridged together like glue. I sort of figured this was going to happen... so I pushed a metal bar down into the coal for awhile and it started feeding again! Fire never went out and by this morning it’s feeding coal again and all seems well.

dbsuz05

Post by dbsuz05 » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 7:17 am

Egghead wrote:
Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 5:24 pm
Always nice to have a backup. I have our oil boiler isolated by valves but with a part failure I can cut off the coal and heat with oil if needed. Funny me and my brother were joking about needing one of those polar vortex’s to see what this little axeman is made of. Everything so far this winter has been too easy for it.
Ya weather has been strange this year! I want to be out riding my sled this time of year!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 8:00 am

dbsuz05 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 26, 2020 7:13 am
Came home to find the coal was not feeding up the auger!
I just went thru that a few days ago. Same scenario pretty much. I had been watering my coal to keep dust down while heaping it over the coal feed tube end.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”